KLR650.NET Forums - Your Kawasaki KLR650 Resource! - The Original KLR650 Forum!
Go Back   KLR650.NET Forums - Your Kawasaki KLR650 Resource! - The Original KLR650 Forum! > KLR650.NET - Kawasaki KLR650 Forums > Riding Technique
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Riding Technique Discuss riding technique, share riding secrets, or ask for tips

Old 03-26-2012, 06:42 PM   #1
TundraBob
A Regular

Super Cool Since: Mar 2012
Locale: Alaska
Postings: 111
TundraBob is on a distinguished road
Default I already have a MC licence - MSF course?

I have had a MC licence for 36 years. I have not ridden much for ~20 years. Just bought one of those KLR things. I need to take the MSF riding course to be able to ride on military installaitons (required here in AK for active duty).

Most my riding has been on dirt but I plan on doing osme commuting this summer. There are two MSF classes I can take the basic - 3 days, mainly for those without licences. And the level two for mroe experienced riders (only six hours).

I dont mind learning the basics even though I have ridden for years. However six hours vs. 3 days. Would it be worht it to just do the 3 day basic?
TundraBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 07:59 PM   #2
kzlr
Invisible Elitist 685 Boy

Super Cool Since: Nov 2007
Locale: El Dorado Hills, CA
Postings: 3,978
kzlr is on a distinguished road
Default Re: I already have a MC licence - MSF course?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TundraBob View Post
I have had a MC licence for 36 years. I have not ridden much for ~20 years. Just bought one of those KLR things. I need to take the MSF riding course to be able to ride on military installaitons (required here in AK for active duty).

Most my riding has been on dirt but I plan on doing osme commuting this summer. There are two MSF classes I can take the basic - 3 days, mainly for those without licences. And the level two for mroe experienced riders (only six hours).

I dont mind learning the basics even though I have ridden for years. However six hours vs. 3 days. Would it be worht it to just do the 3 day basic?
I would recommend the course if you have limited street experience. If nothing else, you can benchmark yourself against what the instructors consider "competant" riding. I actually enjoyed it, mostly because I enjoy anything associated with riding or ways to improve. I am considering the advanced course mostly just for the fun of it...but the 3 days was fun and well worth it as well.
YMMV

I was lying when I said that.

08 - "Joker"

"Error of Opinion may be tolerated where Reason is left free to combat it." - Thomas Jefferson
kzlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 04-09-2012, 11:50 AM   #3
klrAlaska

Super Cool Since: Nov 2008
Locale: Anchorage,Alaska
Postings: 467
klrAlaska will become famous soon enough

Quote:

TundraBob,

I was in the same place as you a few years ago when I bought my KLR here in Anchorage. (had MC license for many years, hadn't ridden much for many years, etc.) I took the three day class as a refresher and found it to be a good experience, educational, enjoyable, etc. I still plan on taking the experienced rider course but haven't got to it yet.
Are you in Anchorage?
Old 04-09-2012, 01:03 PM   #4
MSGT-R
LEVEL 3 STAFF

Super Cool Since: Nov 2004
Locale: Denver, CO
Postings: 6,957
MSGT-R is on a distinguished road

I'm an MSF Ridercoach:

Take the Experienced Rider Course. The BRC is more suited to those who have never been on a bike before (control manipulation, clutch friction zone, etc). You'll get much of the same stuff for the first few exercises, without doing the "duck walk" across the range.

The ERC is changing it's name to the BRC-2 with the addition of the ARC (Advanced Rider Course).

Before going out into the dirt, see if your base offers the Dirtbike School anywhere nearby. It's a good refresher too, but you need the other for the sticker.
Old 04-09-2012, 03:26 PM   #5
TundraBob
A Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by klrAlaska View Post
TundraBob,

Are you in Anchorage?
Yes, I am still in Anchorage - Eagle River actually. The military will pay for my BRC and they will also pay for the advanced course (actually they require it within six months after passing BRC). I have not asigned up for the advanced course yet - BRC is in early May and we will see how the summer falls out to schedule the advanced course.
Old 04-09-2012, 03:33 PM   #6
TundraBob
A Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSGT-R View Post
I'm an MSF Ridercoach:

Take the Experienced Rider Course. The BRC is more suited to those who have never been on a bike before (control manipulation, clutch friction zone, etc). You'll get much of the same stuff for the first few exercises, without doing the "duck walk" across the range.

The ERC is changing it's name to the BRC-2 with the addition of the ARC (Advanced Rider Course).

Before going out into the dirt, see if your base offers the Dirtbike School anywhere nearby. It's a good refresher too, but you need the other for the sticker.
Yes - they do offer the dirt bike school. I will plan on signing up for that also. I suppose, in my older age I want to take advantage of as much safety training I can get. I went to the bike show here in Anchorage on Saturday and spoke with the MSF A.B.A.T.E. folks. I was a little worried about siting in a class with people who were testing for their licence, where I already have mine. They said it would be worthwhile for me to take the three day (actually it is three half days...) course. My experience, until this year has been 90% dirt riding and 10% road. This year I will be flipping that around and the extra road experience/educaiton should help.

Thanks for the comments.
Old 04-09-2012, 03:46 PM   #7
FortyNiner
A Regular

Super Cool Since: Aug 2011
Locale: Spicewood
Postings: 83
FortyNiner is on a distinguished road

Yes.

I think it is a very good idea to take the course. LIke you, I have had a motorcycle license for over 35 years, but never had a course..... until this year. I told my son in law that if he would take the course (which he needed to get a MC endorsement here in TX), that I would also take it. We did.

I really enjoyed the course. Not only enjoyed it but actually picked up some valuable tips. I didn't enjoy the classroom session so much, but the riding sessions were awesome.

The course I took was well worth the time and money.

Now I think I would be interested in taking an OFF ROAD riding course.

Quote:

FortyNiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 09:36 PM   #8
Muttbike

Super Cool Since: Apr 2009
Locale: Colorado
Postings: 11
Muttbike is on a distinguished road

I ran into this same situation a couple years back. I had the basic MSF course back in the 80s overseas. They came out with the new rules and they apply to DoD employees as well (retired USAF in 06).

So I took the ABATE experienced rider course and had a ball. My KLR and a GS1200 were the only dual sports there. We broke up into groups of four for the riding segments and we had a Harley rider and a Goldwing rider actually rubbing their foot boards trying to keep us with us. I had never cranked down as hard on the front brake as they had us doing there.

They do get you thinking again while in the saddle. I still practice some of the stuff we went over in that class. Keeps you alert and undamaged.

JR
Muttbike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 10:27 PM   #9
Hex
A Regular

Super Cool Since: Oct 2011
Locale: Colorado
Postings: 208
Hex is on a distinguished road

Great thread. Been thinking of taking the Advanced Rider Course and this thread makes me want to schedule it.

Thanks
Hex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 07:00 PM   #10
TomC407
A Regular

Super Cool Since: Apr 2012
Locale: Newark Delaware USA
Postings: 21
TomC407 is on a distinguished road

I got back into motorcycle riding 4 years ago after a 5 year hiatus - the first thing I did was take an MSF advanced rider course - it was the best thing I could have done. Since then I have taken the advanced sport bike rider course - twice! They were also great, and I urge all my fellow riders to take these courses, no matter how experienced you are as a rider, there is always more to learn to become a better rider, both on and off the road.

BTW, I am new to the KLR and new to dual sport riding - are there any courses out there specifically for dual sport riding?

Thanks, ride safe!
Tom
TomC407 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 10:07 AM   #11
MSGT-R
LEVEL 3 STAFF

Super Cool Since: Nov 2004
Locale: Denver, CO
Postings: 6,957
MSGT-R is on a distinguished road

MSF's Dirtbike School is a great skills-teacher if you've never been off road.
http://www.dirtbikeschool.org/
Old 04-27-2012, 10:20 AM   #12
TomC407
A Regular

Thanks for the link to the MSF dirbike schools - there is one next weekend, and only about 90 minutes from my house! I am signing up! You can never be too well prepared for riding!
Old 05-24-2012, 04:18 PM   #13
TomC407
A Regular

It cannot be stressed enough how valuable these classes are to riders of all experience levels.

Since getting back into motorcycle riding four years ago, I have taken three experienced rider classes and the dirt bike school. Even though I repeated the sport bike class this year, I still learned - a lot - in the last class, and I will take another experienced rider class next year. If you have never taken an experienced rider class, you will be amazed to learn all the things you should have learned when you first started to ride.

I repeat -it cannot be stressed enough how valuable these classes are to us.
Sponsored links