KLR650.NET Forums - Your Kawasaki KLR650 Resource! - The Original KLR650 Forum!
Go Back   KLR650.NET Forums - Your Kawasaki KLR650 Resource! - The Original KLR650 Forum! > KLR650.NET - Kawasaki KLR650 Forums > 2008 through 2015+ KLR650 Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
2008 through 2015+ KLR650 Discussion The new, industry dominating second generation KLR650

Old 07-03-2012, 10:55 PM   #1
Chris N
Occasional Poster

Super Cool Since: May 2012
Locale: Canada
Postings: 1
Chris N is on a distinguished road
Default Windshields for a big guy

I'm a big guy at 6 1', and have yet to find a system to significantly reduce wind buffeting. I'm one of those that has tried 3 windshields with only marginal success.

The larger stock windshield moved the wind from my tits to my shoulders. A new Cee Bailey commuter shield has moved it to my forehead. I have taken off the visor on my helmet and it is better, but not quite right as my head feels like a shaking peanut at 100 km/h. I'm considering some other options and would love some feedback:

1. Will a slick street helmet with face guard make a significant difference if the wind is hitting my forehead?
2. Is there a way to angle the windshield forward with some washers? Will this move the wind higher up?
3. I read that the Vario windshield attachment or the new Versys adjustable windshield move the wind. My experience thus far suggests this is only useful for riders under 6 feet. I'm not yet convinced that the adjustable, or double windshields will offer enough wind deflection for those over 6 feet.

Advice on the above or other ideas for big riders are appreciated.

Chris N
KLR '08
Chris N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 12:46 AM   #2
KLR916

Super Cool Since: Sep 2011
Locale: NorCal
Postings: 404
KLR916 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Windshields for a big guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris N View Post
I'm a big guy at 6 1', and have yet to find a system to significantly reduce wind buffeting. I'm one of those that has tried 3 windshields with only marginal success.

The larger stock windshield moved the wind from my tits to my shoulders. A new Cee Bailey commuter shield has moved it to my forehead. I have taken off the visor on my helmet and it is better, but not quite right as my head feels like a shaking peanut at 100 km/h. I'm considering some other options and would love some feedback:

1. Will a slick street helmet with face guard make a significant difference if the wind is hitting my forehead?
2. Is there a way to angle the windshield forward with some washers? Will this move the wind higher up?
3. I read that the Vario windshield attachment or the new Versys adjustable windshield move the wind. My experience thus far suggests this is only useful for riders under 6 feet. I'm not yet convinced that the adjustable, or double windshields will offer enough wind deflection for those over 6 feet.

Chris N
KLR '08
I am also 6'1... Madstad 20" adventure shield solved my problem. As a side note I went thru 4 windshields on a Harley Road glide which is a long distance "touring" bike and the KLR with the Madstad beats it in wind protection any day hands down.
KLR916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 07-04-2012, 11:37 AM   #3
abond
A Regular

Super Cool Since: Jul 2007
Locale: Prescott Valley Arizona
Postings: 80
abond is on a distinguished road

6'2" here and the Madstad really works for me. I'm starting year 3 with it.

Spend the money, get it adjusted and live happily ever after.

Al Bond
08 KLR
abond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 12:18 PM   #4
pismocycleguy
A Regular

Super Cool Since: Apr 2005
Locale: Pismo Beach, CA
Postings: 159
pismocycleguy is on a distinguished road
Talking Re: Windshields for a big guy

Forget the Vario windshield. You are too tall!
I have tried many screens, Zero Gravity, KLR tall, Happy Trails Rallye, Bajaworx Dakar. I am 6'2" tall.
I am currently using, and liking the Laminar Lip on my 2012 KLR.
Try it and you may like it also. And it is less expensive than any of the other screens I have tried.
pismocycleguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 03:32 PM   #5
mhild
A Regular

Super Cool Since: Feb 2009
Locale: Kansas
Postings: 125
mhild is on a distinguished road

I tried 3 different windscreens, using the Laminar Lip on one, and none of them worked. I now have the Madstad, and it works great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris N View Post

Chris N
KLR '08
mhild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 04:28 PM   #6
pismocycleguy
A Regular

Talking The Lip is the Tip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhild View Post
I tried 3 different windscreens, using the Laminar Lip on one, and none of them worked. I now have the Madstad, and it works great.
I am using the Laminar Lip on the oem stock 2008-2012 Kawasaki windscreen.
Lower is better!
NO BUFFETING! NO INTERFERENCE WITH VISION! NO WORRY ABOUT HITTING YOUR FACE/HELMET INTO THE TOP OF THE SCREEN while off road!
"your results may vary"
Old 07-05-2012, 02:41 AM   #7
Bryan
Occasional Poster

Super Cool Since: Jun 2004
Postings: 8
Bryan is on a distinguished road

Madstad is the best out there!
Bryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 07-05-2012, 11:03 AM   #8
Quadidaho

Super Cool Since: Feb 2011
Locale: Meridian, Idaho
Postings: 83
Quadidaho is on a distinguished road

Finally found the solution for me--windshields are a very personal thing! I am 6'2" and am running the HT Rallye windscreen set up with a Zero Gravity sport touring-- no buffeting this AM on the intial ride with the ZG.

And this is with a Fly Trekker DS helmet with the duckbill visor-- one big air scoop!

NICE!
Damn farkles to list!
Quadidaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 02:28 PM   #9
JayAre
A Regular

Locale: NM
Postings: 29
JayAre is on a distinguished road

I'll second the HT Rallye windscreen bracket. Use that or the KLR dash to move the windshield forward. I stuck a Kawi Tall windscreen I got cheap off of e-bay on the HT kit. No buffeting. 6'3"
JayAre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 12:28 PM   #10
pismocycleguy
A Regular

Unhappy Re: HappyTrails Rallye Frame

JayAre, Quadidaho,
Did either of you have any trouble mounting the HappyTrails Rallye windshield frame to you bike.
My Rallye frame was very poorly constructed with the mounting tabs unequally welded to each side of the Rallye frame and unable to align to the mounting locations on the bike. HappyTrails told me it must have been dropped or misaligned in the jig during the welding process.
Really poor quality construction for a pricey item. When I asked for a replacement I was told it would be several weeks, to months, before a replacement could be sourced. Maybe they come from China?
Or maybe I was sold a damaged, left over or "second" Rallye frame?
Glad to hear that you guys are happy with your "HappyTrails" buy.
Old 07-08-2012, 01:55 PM   #11
Mr Tom
A Regular

Super Cool Since: Oct 2008
Locale: Appleton, WI
Postings: 37
Mr Tom is on a distinguished road

I'm 6'-4" tall, installed a Bajaworx Dakar windshield a few months ago. I couldn't be happier with it. It doesn't keep all the wind off you like a Goldwing, but it does exactly what a KLR windshield should do.
Mr Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 04:48 PM   #12
ramartinjr
A Regular

Super Cool Since: Jun 2011
Locale: Hickory, NC
Postings: 32
ramartinjr is on a distinguished road

If price is no object, I have the cee bailys adjustable with the 24" touring shield. I am 6 ft tall. On the center adjustment it pushes the wind over my helmet. On the top adjustment I can look through the windshield, great when it is raining. The sport windshield is useless if you are 6ft or more.
Old 07-08-2012, 08:31 PM   #13
canyonslicker

Super Cool Since: Jan 2008
Locale: Silverado, CA
Postings: 250
canyonslicker is on a distinguished road
Default Re: The Lip is the Tip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pismocycleguy View Post
I am using the Laminar Lip on the oem stock 2008-2012 Kawasaki windscreen.
Lower is better!
NO BUFFETING! NO INTERFERENCE WITH VISION! NO WORRY ABOUT HITTING YOUR FACE/HELMET INTO THE TOP OF THE SCREEN while off road!
"your results may vary"
I use the same setup but other things made it way better. I put on a corbin dished seat which sat me lower and handlebar links that move the bars back about an inch.

I am 6'1" with 32 inch inseam no problems now.
canyonslicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 04:58 PM   #14
Quadidaho

Locale: Meridian, Idaho
Postings: 83
Quadidaho is on a distinguished road

No issues mounting my Rallye Windscreen set up-- a little downward pressure lined up the tabs and everything went together with minimal persuasion!

Now with the ZG I have a combo that works really well for me.
Damn farkles to list!
Quadidaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 07-10-2012, 09:10 AM   #15
JayAre
A Regular

Locale: NM
Postings: 29
JayAre is on a distinguished road

pismocycleguy: The tabs on my Rallye kit weren't perfect either, but it went on with a little encouragement. I'm happy with it and the kawi tall screen set up overall. I hit some light rain on the way home the other day and they created a nice pocket to hide in.

Last edited by JayAre; 07-10-2012 at 09:13 AM.
JayAre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 08:00 PM   #16
TundraBob
A Regular

Super Cool Since: Mar 2012
Locale: Alaska
Postings: 111
TundraBob is on a distinguished road

A couple of months ago, after riding a friends BMW I realized that I need to get a real windshield for my 2011 KLR. I have searched the posts for the last couple of months and find the windshield discussions a little confusing. Some posts are good reviews but the rider height is not stated, others state that their windshield is "the best" but do not really say why. Some windshields sound great but are not available for an 08+. I am not looking for "the best" windshield - just one that will lower my upper body workout and noise level while riding.

I am 6'3" and looking for somehting to keep the windblast off my chest and move it up, to say, to the top of my head. Anyone out there, somewhere around 6'3" (34" inseam), found the perfect windshield?

Here is what I have so far from reviewing quite a few posts.

1. The Madstad seems like a good bet with a 20" windshield. However, if there is something less expensive I would like to try that.

2. I thought the Bajaworkx Dakar was going to be "it." However, I have seen conflicting reports in the forum from 6' rider that said that if a rider was any taller, it would not work and a 6'4" rider who says it is fine. What I dont know is what "fine" means - does that mean they live with being blasted mid-helmet or there is no wind (pressure, noise) at all.

3. The Kawasaki Tall windshield. Sounds like by itself this would not work. However witht he Laminar Lip it sounds like it could work. However, it looks a little clunky. I almost think the Bajaworkx windshield is basically the Kawi Tall with Laminar Lips but all one piece without the nuts and bolts in the middle.

4. Cee Bailey - not sure what to think. It looks like a nice windshield. It seems like there are a lit of conflicting posts on rider height and hard to tell if it will really work for a 6'3" rider. Also, the cost is almost as much as the Madstad.

5. I could not find enough informaiton on the Clearview windshields to come to any conclusion. They have a good guide on their website about selecting the right height shield. However, I have no informaiton on the experiences of anyone ~6'3" using one.

Any others work for a 6'3" rider?

Let me know your height and what you are using and if it really does decrease the noise and upper body effort or is it just tolerable for you. And if you "really love" your __________ (insert brand model here) windshield/windscreen, tell me why.

Thanks
TundraBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 09:54 PM   #17
pismocycleguy
A Regular

Red face Re: Windshields for a big guy

TundraBob,
I'm 6'2", 32" inseam, and currently experimenting with an Australian Screensforbikes taller windscreen and a Laminar Lip for the 2008+ KLR.
I stumbled on this combination while trying to fix something else. I will post results and photos if this is successful. The Laminar Lip alone is not effective if you are over 6' tall, in my opinion.
Old 08-02-2012, 09:52 PM   #18
rbroyden

Super Cool Since: Dec 2011
Locale: Blacksburg, VA, usa
Postings: 11
rbroyden is on a distinguished road

Madstad 20" adventure is the cheapest for sure solution for wind protection, in my opinion. I have been able to set mine so the wind just catches on my top helmet vents, no buffeting and cool head. I like clean air for most riding and use a cut down stoker for the normal riding. I use the Madstad for any extended slab work and winter riding. I'm 6ft with 32" inseam. I triedtwo other windshileds that worked for some but not for me before going with the Madstad.

Bob
rbroyden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 11:34 PM   #19
Bryan
Occasional Poster

Super Cool Since: Jun 2004
Postings: 8
Bryan is on a distinguished road

Well I remember initially replying to this thread. The madstad in my opinion is bar none the best! I am 6'5"with a 36" inseam and I absolutely love the protection I get from it. Yes its expensive, but I don't mind for the comfort I get from it.
Bryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 12:55 AM   #20
pismocycleguy
A Regular

Talking Re: Windshields for a big guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by pismocycleguy View Post
TundraBob,
I'm 6'2", 32" inseam, and currently experimenting with an Australian Screensforbikes taller windscreen and a Laminar Lip for the 2008+ KLR.
I stumbled on this combination while trying to fix something else. I will post results and photos if this is successful. The Laminar Lip alone is not effective if you are over 6' tall, in my opinion.
The above combination is the best windscreen setup that I have tried on my KLR. It is not so big, like a barn door, but blocks the wind without buffeting or excessive noise. It looks nice, in my opinion, is not overly large and controls the wind and noise. I am not a fan of the large oversized intrusive windshields. I don't want a Goldwing.
Sponsored links

Tags
big, guy, windshields