KLR650.NET Forums - Your Kawasaki KLR650 Resource! - The Original KLR650 Forum!
Go Back   KLR650.NET Forums - Your Kawasaki KLR650 Resource! - The Original KLR650 Forum! > KLR650.NET - Kawasaki KLR650 Forums > Maintenance, Mods, & Tech
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Maintenance, Mods, & Tech Wrenching and mods - KLR650 Maintenance discussion only!

Old 09-15-2012, 02:12 PM   #1
beastmodeon
A Regular

Super Cool Since: Apr 2012
Locale: Silverdale Washington
Postings: 34
beastmodeon is on a distinguished road
Default Klr 600 overheating

Recently had some warmer weather here in Washington, sitting around 80 or so, that's a big deal around here, and I have noticed that starting this week my engine temp needle will go all the way into the red zone after only riding for about 5 minutes. I have also checked the fan when the engine temp is in the red zone, and it is not running. Could it be a bad fan, or a bad engine temp sensor? I have a thermobo on the way so if the thermostat is bad, hopfully this will fix it.

Thanks for your help guys
beastmodeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 02:54 PM   #2
NVGTI

Super Cool Since: May 2008
Locale: Dayton, NV
Postings: 2,230
NVGTI is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Klr 600 overheating

Getting that hot that fast would make me check the thermostat, assuming of course the radiators were full, or somehow your water pump failed, which could be very bad.

2008 Red KLR 650, too many mods to list
2007 Black, ditto
1984 klr600; sold http://www.klr650.net/forums/showthread.php?t=105780
Insist on the best http://www.eagleMike.com/ or (619) two six one one two 8 1
NVGTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 09-15-2012, 03:04 PM   #3
beastmodeon
A Regular

Well I won't be riding it anymore until the thermobob comes in and gets installed. That should fix the thermostat if that's the issue. It was running fine up until about three days ago. The fan doesn't kick on anymore either so it could be the heat sensor to.
beastmodeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 03:10 PM   #4
NVGTI

Getting that hot that fast makes me think it's the thermostat. I think the temp gauge gets it's signal from the top of the head, and the fan sensor is on the radiator. A stuck closed thermostat would cause the head to be hot while the radiator to still be cool, not nearly warm enough to trigger the fan.

2007 Black, ditto
Old 09-15-2012, 03:16 PM   #5
beastmodeon
A Regular

What kind of issues could that cause for the engine? The ride where I really noticed it was only about 20 minutes. Hopefully it hasnt messed up the engine at all. Maybe take out the thermostat and see if that helps?
Old 09-15-2012, 03:18 PM   #6
NVGTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by beastmodeon View Post
What kind of issues could that cause for the engine? The ride where I really noticed it was only about 20 minutes. Hopefully it hasnt messed up the engine at all. Maybe take out the thermostat and see if that helps?

1. don't know, but hopefully none.

2. That's what I would do.

2007 Black, ditto
Old 09-15-2012, 03:57 PM   #7
SlyJJ
KLR Enthusiast

Super Cool Since: Oct 2011
Locale: Philadelphia
Postings: 2,197
SlyJJ is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Im not familiar with the 600, but as I understand it they're very similar.

Waterpump problems led to my bike overheating often and apparently the headgasket doesnt respond well to this. I had a bunch of problems compounding from that issue that has cost me several and I mean several hours of wrenching and lost riding time.

Its something I wouldnt take lightly anymore. I'm still having issues with my cooling system that Im trying to tweak, but if it gets anywhere above 3/4 on the gauge I shut it down.
SlyJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 04:00 PM   #8
beastmodeon
A Regular

What are some signs that you saw that showed the head gasket had been damaged? Was it an expensive replacement?
Old 09-15-2012, 04:34 PM   #9
SlyJJ
KLR Enthusiast

There are several signs that a headgasket can be blown and they can vary. My bike would belch coolant when the rpms climbed. It can be checked with a pressure tester.

Its not expensive, its just time consuming. I would suppose for most people it is expensive (in a car for example) because its not so much the parts but the labor. On a bike its obviously less work, but you still have to take it apart and remove the head to replace the gasket. The gasket itself is $40- for a 650 anyways. Again I cant give you input on the 600 but I've read that parts are a little more difficult to come across.
Old 09-15-2012, 08:00 PM   #10
beastmodeon
A Regular

Thanks for the help guys. Very much appreciated. I do have one more question, I noticed this after the ride yesterday when the needle was pegged the whole time, looked this afternoon and it was still there. Doesn't smell or feel like oil, but coolant probably would have evaporated by now. Here's a picture
Attached Images
File Type: jpg photo.jpg (98.4 KB, 25 views)
Old 09-16-2012, 03:04 AM   #11
Elitelf
A Regular

Super Cool Since: May 2012
Locale: Canada
Postings: 73
Elitelf is on a distinguished road

You should unscrew that elbow and unplug the hose from the rad bottom, since the T-Bob will have you do that anyway. Then you can test that water pump and throw the thermostat in boiling water. To alleviate our curiosity

About that hole under the elbow, I found a post explaining what it is on a klx, might not be the same for us. http://www.kawasakiforums.com/forum/...06/#post432626
Elitelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 03:15 AM   #12
beastmodeon
A Regular

Also noticed these spots as well on closer examination. thing I have an oil leak somewhere? or could this be a sign of a blown head gasket? looks like the oil is coming from the top end of the engine.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg KLR 2.jpg (29.6 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg KLR 3.jpg (32.1 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg KLR 4.jpg (52.2 KB, 16 views)
Old 09-16-2012, 03:20 AM   #13
beastmodeon
A Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elitelf View Post
You should unscrew that elbow and unplug the hose from the rad bottom, since the T-Bob will have you do that anyway. Then you can test that water pump and throw the thermostat in boiling water. To alleviate our curiosity

About that hole under the elbow, I found a post explaining what it is on a klx, might not be the same for us. http://www.kawasakiforums.com/forum/...06/#post432626
this makes sense actually. after looking closer it does look like it could be coming from that elbow. I will be taking the thermo out in the morning. How would I test the water pump once the hoses are disconnected?
Sponsored links
Old 09-16-2012, 03:39 AM   #14
Elitelf
A Regular

Super Cool Since: May 2012
Locale: Canada
Postings: 73
Elitelf is on a distinguished road

Unscrew the elbow and leave all the other hoses in place. Remove the radiator pressure cap and keep a garden hose pouring in the radiator before cranking the engine.

If it blows the engine, I'll have no clue why, so I see no reason not to do it that way.
Elitelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 11:28 AM   #15
SlyJJ
KLR Enthusiast

Well, I dont know enough about the 600 to fix or resolve your issue but I can give you a few ideas.

First I dont think that oil leak has to do with a possible blown headgasket. Im not saying you do or do not have one, but that this is probably a separate issue. Whats the valve cover gasket look like? If thats where the leak is coming from maybe thats an issue- especially if the bike is well over 20 years old.

The only sure way that I know of to diagnose a headgasket problem is to pressure test it.

Sorry I cant help you more
Old 09-16-2012, 09:25 PM   #16
beastmodeon
A Regular

Well I did a little wrenching today and I noticed a few things. Most importantly being that my reserve coolant resevoir was bone dry, but there is for sure still coolant in the radiator and in the hose. So I don't think I was running with no coolant at all. I am going to flush it completely tommarrow along with a few other things. Man I sure hope that this whole high temp issue hasn't caused other issues with the engine. Hopfully I discovered it in time.
Old 09-18-2012, 03:33 PM   #17
kidflyr

Super Cool Since: Mar 2012
Locale: Arcata, Behind the Redwood Curtain
Postings: 355
kidflyr is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Well I did a little wrenching today and I noticed a few things. Most importantly being that my reserve coolant resevoir was bone dry, but there is for sure still coolant in the radiator and in the hose. So I don't think I was running with no coolant at all. I am going to flush it completely tommarrow along with a few other things. Man I sure hope that this whole high temp issue hasn't caused other issues with the engine. Hopfully I discovered it in time.
It sounds like it's your radiator cap that has gone out of spec/failed, not your thermostat; thermostats are generally designed to fail in the open position, and are easily tested in a pan of hot water and a thermometer though it'd be unnecessary fuss considering your upcoming Thermo-Bob install. The spring in radiator caps can weaken over time so that for example a radiator cap rated for 1.1 atmospheres of pressure may hold only 0.9, allowing coolant to overflow/boil out at a lower temperature and pressure. It's a cheap fix to replace it, and if it turns out to be something else in the cooling system causing the problem, you'll know it's not the radiator cap and have confidence that the new one is in spec.

Support this awesome resource! Go Premium!

1993 KLR250 * Titanium tibia * Kenda K761 tires * Airbox de-snorkled & opened up * PCV valve * UNI bulk foam filter * Modified exhaust port * 38pilot/135main * Capacitors wired in parallel with battery * LEDs all around * Jeffsaline's headlight relay * 16 tooth countershaft sprocket/40 tooth rear
kidflyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 04:05 PM   #18
Watt-man
Powertrain Nerd

Super Cool Since: Jan 2005
Locale: Phoenix, AZ
Postings: 2,308
Watt-man has a spectacular aura aboutWatt-man has a spectacular aura about

The wetness you're seeing under the original thermostat's housing (photo in Post #10) is from a valve cover leak. The oil is dripping down into the spark plug base area, and there is a drain hole specifically for that - and it drains out just below the original thermostat's housing.

Just wanted to clear that part of the discussion up as it hadn't been addressed much.

'04 KLR650, 117,000 Miles
With a Thermo-Bob 2, Eagle Doo and Torsion spring. Never torn down yet.

Ride it like you own it...
Watt-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 10:22 PM   #19
beastmodeon
A Regular

i appriciate the explanation on that valve cover leak. Would this in any way effect being able to see oil in the sight glass? I put the bike up on the stand today while I was working on it, and while I was removing the skid plate, I happened to check the oil level sight glass and it was empty, not even a little bit was visible. Might this indicate a oil pressure issue? when I install the doohickey I will have to do an oil change anways but between the leaking oil from the valve cover Im not sure if I should be replacing that gasket to. I looked through the service manual at the exploded view and it doesnt look like a gasket. Looks more like a plate. Heres a picture of the page out of the manual. is the gasket circle the one thats leaking?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg klr manual.jpg (60.7 KB, 11 views)
Old 09-19-2012, 12:36 AM   #20
Watt-man
Powertrain Nerd

Super Cool Since: Jan 2005
Locale: Phoenix, AZ
Postings: 2,308
Watt-man has a spectacular aura aboutWatt-man has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
i appriciate the explanation on that valve cover leak. Would this in any way effect being able to see oil in the sight glass?
Well, only that as oil keeps leaking out, the oil level inside the engine keeps going down... so yeah, keep it full!

Quote:
I put the bike up on the stand today while I was working on it, and while I was removing the skid plate, I happened to check the oil level sight glass and it was empty, not even a little bit was visible.
Bad. With the bike on level ground, you want that to be FULL.

Quote:
Might this indicate a oil pressure issue?
You have no oil pressure gauge, but if the oil is too low, then yes, the oil pump doesn't get liquid oil, it gets an oil/air mixture. You can guess the result of that...

Quote:
when I install the doohickey I will have to do an oil change anways but between the leaking oil from the valve cover Im not sure if I should be replacing that gasket to. I looked through the service manual at the exploded view and it doesnt look like a gasket. Looks more like a plate. Heres a picture of the page out of the manual. is the gasket circle the one thats leaking?
Two things. First, that is a gasket, it is rubber. It's actually very uncommon for them to be a big leaker so some inspection is in order. A more common leak path is one of the four smaller rubber spacers (gaskets) that go under each of the four valve cover bolts. Figure out where your leak is, and yes, fix it.

... and don't try to save 99 cents by not topping off the oil right this minute just because some time down the road you're doing work on the bike. Be sure the oil is full... always. that's why that convenient little window is there... use it.

'04 KLR650, 117,000 Miles
With a Thermo-Bob 2, Eagle Doo and Torsion spring. Never torn down yet.

Ride it like you own it...
Watt-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links