KLR650.NET Forums - Your Kawasaki KLR650 Resource! - The Original KLR650 Forum!
Go Back   KLR650.NET Forums - Your Kawasaki KLR650 Resource! - The Original KLR650 Forum! > KLR650.NET - Kawasaki KLR650 Forums > 2008 through 2015+ KLR650 Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
2008 through 2015+ KLR650 Discussion The new, industry dominating second generation KLR650

Old 09-16-2012, 03:19 AM   #1
ChopperT
A Regular

Super Cool Since: Apr 2011
Locale: New Zealand
Postings: 39
ChopperT is on a distinguished road
Default Oil leak from Countershaft, common?

I was having a look over my 2010 bike yesterday, and noticed the left rear lower case was very wet. A closer look showed that it was also very clean, with the "clean" area extending up behind the countershaft/drive sprocket.
I took the drive cover off, cleaned it all up and went for a trip around the block, sure enough there was engine oil from the seal area.
Now with only 12000km (7500m) on the bike I'm surprised. And yes, I am fully aware that the manufacturer recommended chain adjustment is too tight, and have followed the "just touches the rubber bumper" method of adjustment since new.
It's still under warranty, (bought new this year), so I'll take it in to the dealer, and have them replace the seal and the o-ring.
So questions: Does the seal runner usually require replacement (grooving, corrosion?), and have others had this seal go "early"?

I'm happy that I have found the reason for my ever so slow oil loss, but disappointed that I have lost the excuse for a 688!
ChopperT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 11:19 AM   #2
SlyJJ
KLR Enthusiast

Super Cool Since: Oct 2011
Locale: Philadelphia
Postings: 2,227
SlyJJ is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Oil leak from Countershaft, common?

Theres always some excuse you can think of for a 688.

If the chain is too tight, apparently the countershaft and seal are the parts to suffer. I know this because I almost paid for the mistake myself.
SlyJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 09-16-2012, 11:43 AM   #3
kzlr
Invisible Elitist 685 Boy

Super Cool Since: Nov 2007
Locale: El Dorado Hills, CA
Postings: 3,978
kzlr is on a distinguished road

No, not common.
pics, please, including pics of the chain pushed tight to bottom of swingarm while bike is on sidestand...place finger about 1/3 of the way back from the CSS to the rear sprocket, and lift the chain up toward the swingarm and take a pic.

I was lying when I said that.

08 - "Joker"

"Error of Opinion may be tolerated where Reason is left free to combat it." - Thomas Jefferson

Last edited by kzlr; 09-16-2012 at 11:59 AM.
kzlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 09:06 PM   #4
Ohio Rider

Super Cool Since: Sep 2011
Locale: Pickerington, OH
Postings: 10
Ohio Rider is on a distinguished road

Had the same leak at 3000 miles. Changed the seal and the output shaft o-ring. A paint lid remover tool worked great to remove the seal. I had let the chain go too tight for too long. Pilot error, for sure. A week later I torqued an oil filter cap bolt off. (You may get the impression that I shouldn't have tools in my hands!). Lucked out on the hex bolt by spinning it out with needle-nosed piers. Even though both issues were entirely my doing, I now have the satisfaction of correcting my f-ups. Good luck!
Ohio Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 03:45 AM   #5
ChopperT
A Regular

Super Cool Since: Apr 2011
Locale: New Zealand
Postings: 39
ChopperT is on a distinguished road

Sorry, pics are struggle at the minute. The chain is definitely adjusted as advised, though as I have Eagle RL-1 links, perhaps I should further increase the chain slack, ie: if the bike sits higher "on the stand", then the required slack to move freely through the travel will be greater. Come the weekend I'll drop the linkage and swing the wheel through full travel and see if it goes tight.
ChopperT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links

Tags
common, countershaft, leak, oil