KLR650.NET Forums - Your Kawasaki KLR650 Resource! - The Original KLR650 Forum!
Go Back   KLR650.NET Forums - Your Kawasaki KLR650 Resource! - The Original KLR650 Forum! > KLR650.NET - Kawasaki KLR650 Forums > 2008 through 2015+ KLR650 Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
2008 through 2015+ KLR650 Discussion The new, industry dominating second generation KLR650

Old 10-07-2012, 05:18 PM   #1
donjose
Occasional Poster

Super Cool Since: Oct 2012
Locale: Oklahoma
Postings: 6
donjose is on a distinguished road
Default 2013 Doohickey ?

Does the 2013 need this upgrade as well ?

Thanks Jason
donjose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 05:25 PM   #2
SlyJJ
KLR Enthusiast

Super Cool Since: Oct 2011
Locale: Philadelphia
Postings: 2,227
SlyJJ is on a distinguished road
Default Re: 2013 Doohickey ?

I havent heard the issue has been resolved, so to my knowledge I think you'd be better off replacing it- I would personally.

Supposedly the lever (for newer generations, and Im assuming the 13 is in that group) is better quality but the spring is still garbage and wears out very quickly. Many that have done the doo on their newer models have noted no spring tension even before the first oil change was due.
SlyJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 10-08-2012, 06:37 AM   #3
donjose
Occasional Poster

Thanks for the reply I was really thinking they would have got it right by now.....

Jason
Old 10-08-2012, 10:53 AM   #4
kawioops
Been here a while

Super Cool Since: Mar 2006
Locale: To hell and gone from spoonbooty!
Postings: 5,656
kawioops will become famous soon enoughkawioops will become famous soon enough

No way to know without looking. The last two 2012's I did were good on the spring tension. However, the doo's on those two, though now stronger and unlikely to break, were still VERY loose on the shaft due to poor manufacturing tolerances, one had nearly 3/16's slop! This could allow the shaft to move even though the doo adjuster bolt is tightened, rounding the corners and causing even more slop. The Kawi "fix" was as half-assed as could be.
And there's NO real info on the newer Gen II springs longevity without breakage (the majority of the older model problems were broken springs) as to this point most of them have been too long and slack.
It's a crap shoot, I would say there's no 'rush' to get it done, make it a winter project or whenever there's a slack in riding for you.
I STILL recommend it be done though.
Old 10-08-2012, 11:40 PM   #5
rob30
A Regular

Super Cool Since: Jan 2011
Locale: WI
Postings: 42
rob30 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlyJJ View Post
I havent heard the issue has been resolved, so to my knowledge I think you'd be better off replacing it.

Kawasaki has never admitted to a problem with the balancer tensioner (To my knowledge)... They are not going to tell you when or if changes are made. Think of the warranty costs if they admitted to a problem... It has been brought to their attention By EM.

Quite possibly they anticipated these bikes to last only a certain time period xx,xxx amount of miles, which the balancer was designed for. Im not saying the bike was designed around the balancer tensioner either...

Do it for your satisfaction, otherwise, don't.
rob30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 12:50 AM   #6
akspecs
young blood

Super Cool Since: Sep 2012
Locale: Bay Area
Postings: 129
akspecs is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by donjose View Post
Thanks for the reply I was really thinking they would have got it right by now.....
don't say it like that. It's really not that bad. We just don't trust Kawasaki levers anymore because it's reputation is forever ruined amongst us from their performance in the first gen bikes. Plus, the Eagle Mike doohickey is better designed and fits the bike better. It's good insurance for less than $100.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kawioops View Post
No way to know without looking. The last two 2012's I did were good on the spring tension. However, the doo's on those two, though now stronger and unlikely to break, were still VERY loose on the shaft due to poor manufacturing tolerances, one had nearly 3/16's slop! This could allow the shaft to move even though the doo adjuster bolt is tightened, rounding the corners and causing even more slop. The Kawi "fix" was as half-assed as could be.
This is a good enough reason alone to do it. But in all honesty you'll be good for many thousands of miles. A buddy of mine with his 08 model did his doo at 15k miles and the springs had no more adjustment. With all of that said, it's not a bad thing to do for less than $100.

For less than $100 you're likely to put an Eagle Mike lever and torsion spring and have it be good for(ever). I've seen many who put the torsion spring on and have had more than 80k+ miles. That's what people claim on this forum and I trust them.

Last edited by akspecs; 10-09-2012 at 12:52 AM.
akspecs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 10:55 AM   #7
donjose
Occasional Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by akspecs View Post
For less than $100 you're likely to put an Eagle Mike lever and torsion spring and have it be good for(ever). I've seen many who put the torsion spring on and have had more than 80k+ miles.

So if I use the Eagle Mike spring and dont do the torsion spring what kinda of life does the Eagle Mike spring have before I replace it? Also I noticed no spare springs on his web site!!

Thank You
Jason
Sponsored links
Old 10-09-2012, 11:14 AM   #8
Chuck B
LEVEL 3 STAFF

Super Cool Since: Jun 2009
Locale: Flagstaff, Az
Postings: 14,920
Chuck B is a name known to allChuck B is a name known to allChuck B is a name known to allChuck B is a name known to allChuck B is a name known to allChuck B is a name known to all

Quote:
So if I use the Eagle Mike spring and dont do the torsion spring what kinda of life does the Eagle Mike spring have before I replace it? Also I noticed no spare springs on his web site!!

Thank You
Jason
If you are going to replace the spring why not just replace the better fitting Doo lever at the same time? Regardless, contact Eaglemike directly. He, myself and others who hold tech days have handfuls of extra springs in different lengths. Why? Because most agree if you are in there you might as well spend a couple bucks more and go with the torsion spring and NEVER have to think twice about replacing/upgrading etc for as long as you own the bike.

Last edited by Chuck B; 10-09-2012 at 01:29 PM.
Chuck B is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 12:38 PM   #9
kawioops
Been here a while

Super Cool Since: Mar 2006
Locale: To hell and gone from spoonbooty!
Postings: 5,656
kawioops will become famous soon enoughkawioops will become famous soon enough

Quote:

Thank You
Jason
I did mine before the torsion spring came along, 35,000 miles and 5 years and doing fine.
Old 10-09-2012, 01:20 PM   #10
Eaglemike
LEVEL 3 STAFF

Super Cool Since: May 2005
Locale: San Diego
Postings: 9,325
Eaglemike has much to be proud ofEaglemike has much to be proud ofEaglemike has much to be proud ofEaglemike has much to be proud ofEaglemike has much to be proud ofEaglemike has much to be proud ofEaglemike has much to be proud ofEaglemike has much to be proud of

Quote:

Thank You
Jason
I've helped out a few people with spare springs. It's never been an issue. I don't understand why it's a big deal to you.

If you understood the system, you'd know that the extension spring setup is a crapeaux design. The torsion spring setup is far superior.

Do you own a 2013?

Cary Aspy -the real klr650 guru. RIP my brother, I miss you.

Don't try to be a great man, just be a man, and let history make it's own decision

Be your own KLR650 GURU!
Eaglemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 02:34 PM   #11
donjose
Occasional Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglemike View Post
I've helped out a few people with spare springs. It's never been an issue. I don't understand why it's a big deal to you.

If you understood the system, you'd know that the extension spring setup is a crapeaux design. The torsion spring setup is far superior.

Do you own a 2013?
Yes and I will be ordering a kit from you, I was a little scared to drill the hole but I think it want be to bad after looking at a few photos and videos. I thought worst case I would find someone to drill it for me.
So my last question for now do you still drill at 7:3o postion as it shows on the web page?

Thank You
Jason
Old 10-09-2012, 03:18 PM   #12
Eaglemike
LEVEL 3 STAFF

Super Cool Since: May 2005
Locale: San Diego
Postings: 9,325
Eaglemike has much to be proud ofEaglemike has much to be proud ofEaglemike has much to be proud ofEaglemike has much to be proud ofEaglemike has much to be proud ofEaglemike has much to be proud ofEaglemike has much to be proud ofEaglemike has much to be proud of

Just had a telecon.... for those reading, the hole should be 6:30 to 7:00 - but some people's 7:00 is about 9:00!! You can always drill another hole.

Cary Aspy -the real klr650 guru. RIP my brother, I miss you.

Don't try to be a great man, just be a man, and let history make it's own decision

Be your own KLR650 GURU!
Eaglemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 05:29 PM   #13
donjose
Occasional Poster

So after this Eagle Mike install with the torsion spring do I still have to adjust the Balancer Chain Tension?

Thanks
Jason
Old 10-09-2012, 05:30 PM   #14
Chuck B
LEVEL 3 STAFF

Chuck B is a name known to allChuck B is a name known to allChuck B is a name known to allChuck B is a name known to allChuck B is a name known to allChuck B is a name known to all

Yes....follow your maint schedule.
Sponsored links
Old 10-09-2012, 05:45 PM   #15
donjose
Occasional Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck B View Post
Yes....follow your maint schedule.

Rock on thanks for the help !!!

Jason
Old 01-24-2013, 11:50 AM   #16
jesdl650

Super Cool Since: Mar 2011
Locale: Fredericksburg, Virginia
Postings: 18
jesdl650 is on a distinguished road

Quote:

Thank You
Jason
I just purchased a 2013 and have yet to take delivery, however, I now wonder if I made a big mistake in trusting the KLR650. It seems that you have to rebuild the thing as soon as you get it home. New Doo, T-Bob, Sub-Frame bolts, and etc.

Wow, I have wanted one for years,but now I think I should unwind this deal and head on over to the BMW Dealer asap.

Thanks for the heads up on what a peice of junk these things are !!!
jesdl650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 12:04 PM   #17
johnnybravo
A Regular

Super Cool Since: Aug 2011
Locale: usa
Postings: 82
johnnybravo is on a distinguished road

You don't have to rebuild it. I purchased a 2011 last year and I loaded it up and headed to the east coast from Ohio for a week long bike trip. The only thing I did to it was put a 16tooth front sprocket on and a taller windscreen and a better seat. Ran like a top and didn't use any oil, I love this bike. Bought it brand new from the dealer for under 5 grand otd. I got about 52MPG and did about half on the highway and the rest on two lane country roads.
johnnybravo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 12:06 PM   #18
Chuck B
LEVEL 3 STAFF

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesdl650 View Post
I just purchased a 2013 and have yet to take delivery, however, I now wonder if I made a big mistake in trusting the KLR650. It seems that you have to rebuild the thing as soon as you get it home. New Doo, T-Bob, Sub-Frame bolts, and etc.

Wow, I have wanted one for years,but now I think I should unwind this deal and head on over to the BMW Dealer asap.

Thanks for the heads up on what a peice of junk these things are !!!
I've owned at least 6 BMW's new off the showroom floor...good luck! I've owned over 30 motorcycles...nearly all needed some type of upgrade, change or issue dealt with. Believe it or not my Aprilia Mille R was by far the most reliable bike I've owned....over 50K miles and not even a valve adjust needed. clutch slaves were known to speed up contamination of the fluid. I did upgrade that rather than have to flush it at every oil change...cost me about $40. BTW...same slave that Ducati used and yes even a few BMW's. Another stand out was my Valkyrie...six CV carbs keeps it out of the top spot. lol

My KLR has 34K miles on it. Hasn't let me down yet...

Last edited by Chuck B; 01-24-2013 at 12:11 PM.
Chuck B is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 12:35 PM   #19
jesdl650

Super Cool Since: Mar 2011
Locale: Fredericksburg, Virginia
Postings: 18
jesdl650 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck B View Post
I've owned at least 6 BMW's new off the showroom floor...good luck! I've owned over 30 motorcycles...nearly all needed some type of upgrade, change or issue dealt with. Believe it or not my Aprilia Mille R was by far the most reliable bike I've owned....over 50K miles and not even a valve adjust needed. clutch slaves were known to speed up contamination of the fluid. I did upgrade that rather than have to flush it at every oil change...cost me about $40. BTW...same slave that Ducati used and yes even a few BMW's. Another stand out was my Valkyrie...six CV carbs keeps it out of the top spot. lol

My KLR has 34K miles on it. Hasn't let me down yet...
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnybravo View Post
You don't have to rebuild it. I purchased a 2011 last year and I loaded it up and headed to the east coast from Ohio for a week long bike trip. The only thing I did to it was put a 16tooth front sprocket on and a taller windscreen and a better seat. Ran like a top and didn't use any oil, I love this bike. Bought it brand new from the dealer for under 5 grand otd. I got about 52MPG and did about half on the highway and the rest on two lane country roads.

I did purchase the tall Givi windscreen to be installed on the bike before it is delivered.

I am also not a real young guy and just want a bike that is simple, slow, and able to
go on these multi-state camping trips that I have grown fond of, as well as my forty six mile per day commute to work. However, I don't want a bike that needs to be taken apart and rebuilt as soon as I get it home.

Does the Doo, & T-Bob need to be done as soon as I take delivery,and before break -in ???

If so, I think I need to look at another bike.

Thanks !
jesdl650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 03:01 PM   #20
GoMotor

Super Cool Since: Oct 2009
Locale: Texas
Postings: 6,232
GoMotor is just really niceGoMotor is just really niceGoMotor is just really niceGoMotor is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesdl650 View Post
.............I am also not a real young guy and just want a bike that is simple, slow, and able to
go on these multi-state camping trips that I have grown fond of, as well as my forty six mile per day commute to work. However, I don't want a bike that needs to be taken apart and rebuilt as soon as I get it home.

Does the Doo, & T-Bob need to be done as soon as I take delivery,and before break -in ???

If so, I think I need to look at another bike.

Thanks !
I too am not really young. In my business I buy machinery from specifications and I did the same when I bought the 2008 KLR. I decided I wanted a water cooled engine and the largest gas tank I could get. That is the KLR. I also test rode a 650 BMW and the fuel injection system felt like they had not finished designing it.

I take long trips on dirt/asphalt - Trans-America Trail, Great Divide Route, Arctic Ocean and others - and camp along the way. In 93,000 miles my KLR has only quit on me twice - one rubbed wire and one broken wire. Wires are easy to fix in the woods.

I read ride reports from overland travelers on other brands and hear about bad fork seals, blown shocks, final drive failure, bad fuel pumps, filled computer sensors, ...... . I don't see this on the KLRs.

On the new KLRs the doohickey and it's spring don't break, but the spring range does get used up with time. I consider the doohickey spring to be a normal maintenance item like, chains and light bulbs and tires. When they are used up you replace them. I did not replace mine until after 10,000 miles. The deal with the Eagle torsion spring is that it has so much range that you should never have to replace it.

My opinion is that any machine will break sooner or later, but it is less likely and easier to fix on the KLR. I think enough of my 2008 KLR after 93,000 miles that I am still riding it even though I have a new one in the garage. I am planning a trip to Mexico in a few weeks and have not decided which one to take.

Keep in mind that on any forum like this most of the posts are about normal maintenance and modifications and a few break downs, but nobody post to say "I did not break anything on my KLR this year".

Last edited by GoMotor; 01-24-2013 at 03:10 PM.
GoMotor is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links

Tags
2013, doohickey