KLR650.NET Forums - Your Kawasaki KLR650 Resource! - The Original KLR650 Forum!
Go Back   KLR650.NET Forums - Your Kawasaki KLR650 Resource! - The Original KLR650 Forum! > KLR650.NET - Kawasaki KLR650 Forums > KLR650 Main Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
KLR650 Main Discussion First generation KLR650 Related Topics, 1987-2007

Old 05-28-2007, 09:34 AM   #1
IanJ
Occasional Poster

Super Cool Since: May 2007
Locale: Australia
Postings: 4
IanJ is on a distinguished road
Default KLR Max Weight

Greetings All

Does anyone know what is the recommended maximum weight for a KLR650? Has anyone had any experience with the KLR two up on a long overland trip?

At the least I would assume that an upgraded rear shock and maybe changing the subframe bolts would be required.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

Ian J
IanJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2007, 12:46 PM   #2
jebus
On Vacation! :)

Super Cool Since: Feb 2006
Locale: coldspring, TX
Postings: 299
jebus is on a distinguished road

maybe there are max. weight #'s somewhere but with certain mods it's all variable i think.

wife and i go 2-up all the time (we're maybe 275 together, incl. gear) and have gone to mexico with about 100lbs. of luggage and tools, and we take the bike shopping all the time accruing similar weights. no problem.

BUT - i have mike's 3-bolt subframe upgrade, mike's raising links, and i keep the preload on 5. also with a lot of weight you gotta make sure to keep that rear tire full.

there are probably bikes that have better geometry and suspension for handling a lot of weight though; stability is an issue on the klr if your pillion doesn't know to keep still and how to lean.
jebus is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 05-29-2007, 01:55 AM   #3
NeoConMan
PAYING for the bailout...
KLR Enthusiast

Super Cool Since: Mar 2007
Locale: NeoConMan Desert Compound, Arizona
Postings: 1,241
NeoConMan has a spectacular aura aboutNeoConMan has a spectacular aura aboutNeoConMan has a spectacular aura about

Seems I saw in the owners manual my '07 is rated for just over 400 lbs.
Of course this includes anything you add to the bike, likely including gas at 6 lbs. a gallon.

I'm nearly 300 lbs. myself, so with bags and such I don't have alot of payload left.

Dave
(I'm precluded by federal law from doing business with organized crime - and the BATFE is better organized than the Mexican drug cartels)
NeoConMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 02:24 AM   #4
Scott_Rides_Again

Super Cool Since: Apr 2007
Locale: 410m N, a smidgen W of Spoonbooty
Postings: 15,634
Scott_Rides_Again is a glorious beacon of lightScott_Rides_Again is a glorious beacon of lightScott_Rides_Again is a glorious beacon of lightScott_Rides_Again is a glorious beacon of lightScott_Rides_Again is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by jebus View Post
maybe there are max. weight #'s somewhere but with certain mods it's all variable i think.

wife and i go 2-up all the time (we're maybe 275 together, incl. gear) and have gone to mexico with about 100lbs. of luggage and tools, and we take the bike shopping all the time accruing similar weights. no problem.

BUT - i have mike's 3-bolt subframe upgrade, mike's raising links, and i keep the preload on 5. also with a lot of weight you gotta make sure to keep that rear tire full.

there are probably bikes that have better geometry and suspension for handling a lot of weight though; stability is an issue on the klr if your pillion doesn't know to keep still and how to lean.
hehehehe woopsee

Pillion
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search
A pillion is a secondary pad, cushion, or seat behind the main seat or saddle on a horse, motorcycle, or moped. A passenger in this seat is said to "ride pillion" or may themselves be referred to as a "pillion." The word is derived from the Gaelic for "little rug," pillean, which is itself from the Latin pellis for "animal skin." One or more pelts would often have been the form a secondary seat took on horseback, and the usage was carried over to motorcycles.

"Bitch seat" or "pitch pad" is vulgar American motorcycle slang for the pillion, as is "riding bitch" instead of "riding pillion". While used presently for both men and women, these terms come from antiquated notions about both gender roles and motorcycling in general. "Riding bitch" is also used in America to denote sitting in between two other people, where there is often a hump in the middle analogous to the pillion. When possible, this is the option avoided in favor of "riding shotgun."
Scott_Rides_Again is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links

Tags
klr, max, weight