KLR650.NET Forums - Your Kawasaki KLR650 Resource! - The Original KLR650 Forum!
Go Back   KLR650.NET Forums - Your Kawasaki KLR650 Resource! - The Original KLR650 Forum! > KLR650.NET - Kawasaki KLR650 Forums > Ride Reports & Trip Planning
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Ride Reports & Trip Planning Are you ready for some great riding and adventure stories!?

Old 07-24-2007, 02:44 PM   #1
johnwesley
KLR Enthusiast

Super Cool Since: Nov 2006
Locale: Mena, Ar
Postings: 1,192
johnwesley is on a distinguished road
Default Idaho Twin peaks tour

As I was traveling around the U.S. I had the oppertunity to ride with a couple of guys out of Bosie. We met up at the Challis hot springs area, and headed out to see the twin peaks. I had driven over from Idaho falls where I had been visting some faimly. The ride over was very...aaa...stright. I enjoyed all four corners very much. I arrived early at our meeting spot and had time to grab a bite to eat and see herds of RVs pass by heading home from there 4th of july adventures in their house on wheels. I had quite a different plan. It was to trek over to Boise off of the pavement and see sights that few people take time to see.

I finally meet up the the other 2 klrs, one being a new 08, and we head out to see the twin peaks.

The roads would be "b" and "C" rate forest roads. Unfortuntly I didn't take many pics up front as I was in awe of the size and beauty of the mountains in this region. On the way up we stoped as Tim pointed out two mountain peaks that looked the same from where we were at. They were the twin peaks. We kept climbing as we aproached the peaks. the roads got steeper and the curves sharper. Once heading up one of the peaks you end up with just switch backs. close to the top they were only about 75 feet apart.

How many switch backs can you see here?

I am standing on one and there are four in view. There was 3 bikes starting out and only two went to the top.

My bike was runig ruff up here and I had to slip the clutch to get around the swith backs as the bike wouldn't run that slow. It would harly run under 3000rpm and would not pull under that. But I was determined to make it to the top. and I'm glad I did. The views were awesome.

this sign may have somthing to do with my runing issues

my blog
johnwesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 03:04 PM   #2
johnwesley
KLR Enthusiast

Default Re: Idaho Twin peaks tour

I had a blast fighting with the switch backs and having the feeling of accomplishment to go with the views. It makes the views that much better. Here are few more mountain shots.

this show the road we were on befor assending to the switch backs.

We started worring about the other Klr we thought maybe he took the wrong turn or worse ran off the side. The road was barly wide enough for one car and had no guard rails. We barrowed a looking glass from the park ranger to see if we could find him. No such luck, as we were disscussing going back down after him the ranger got a call. One of his friends was coming up. She hadn't seen any body on the way up so far. That had us quite worried about him, but we decided to wait for the other ranger to come up. Once she got there she said he was four switch back from the top and said he wasn't coming any father.

On the way down we found our wayward klr. He had droped his bike in the switch back and decided no more for him he'd wait till we got back from the top

the switch backs were kinda tight though and who could blame him for not want to fall several thouosand feet.

this is just a cool picture of where he stoped. it shows ho i pack for a weekender or any other type of trip for that mater. The bags are Happy-tail
6" set up. I can't tell any diff. with them on the bike.

my blog
Sponsored links
Old 07-24-2007, 03:50 PM   #3
johnwesley
KLR Enthusiast

There was a storm heading our way and was was starting to rain, so we headed back down the mountain peak. When all of a sudden it started to hail on us. Man that was a unnerving feeling. I have been in hail befor but never this far away from anything. The leader stoped at a cross roads and wanted to know if we should stop here and look for shelter. I said "let's get the Hell out of here" pun intended . I didn't get any picks to back this up but It never crossed my mind to stop in the hail and take pics. Maybe next time.

here is the next look out we were heading to.

and just a neat picture

My bike continued to run poorly even after we droped off the peak and got back to 7000'. I was a little concerned but continued on. It was only about 10 mile down the trail and my bike quit running after 60mph. So I told Tim that my back wasn't runing well enough to go farther in to the wilderness. He agreed and it was starting to get late any way. As we headed out bike bike finally got to where it would only run about 40mph so I pulled over to work on it and found this.

which was caused by this

and had me doing this

I replaced the plug(you don't have to pull the tank with the ims) and pulled the prefilter off of the K&N and made it back to camp, where I cleaned the filter and reoiled. This is the only problem with the k&n filters, you need lots of water to clean them. I would not run one off-road with out the prefilter.

my blog
Old 07-24-2007, 04:25 PM   #4
johnwesley
KLR Enthusiast

I made it back to camp only to find that I had pulled a big dumb move. I normally carry dry washing detergent in a big zip lot bags. Just a little in each bag and while I'm on the road I can wash small clothes. Just add water and shake un till done then rinse. It works geat for socks, undies, and wicking shirts. While I was at the inlaws they did not have any dry so I used the liquid. You gussed it the bag got a small hole in it and leaked all over my stuff. As if this wasn't bad enough I also carry dry gatorade to add to my water supply that I drink from, well it busted to. Which would not have been a problem normally. It got mixed wup with the washing detergent and made an awefull mess. Well I decided to just take it with me in the moring to shower and wash it out there.

Well I don't funcion to well in the mornings, but I grabed the bag and off I went to the shower. Once in the shower with the bag I opened it and to my amazement I saw electronics. Crap I grabed the wrong bag, so I slamed it shut and set it out side the shower. I guess I'd have to wash it out after my shower. I store my gps and other "valubles" in my panniers when sleeping at night to help keep them dry and safe. Well they wern't that dry any more but nothing was harmed. Note to self. Drink coffee befor doing anything else in the morning. God did not make me to function early.

This is just a goofy picture of me putting on my shirt. Tim just thought this would be funny. May be the goofiest pic of me on the net.

well we thought we were ready to go. All three of us loaded up and gear on when I heard "wait a minute, where are my keys". Yep one of us didn't have our key. We looked high and low for it and then Tim made the guy un pack. Look in the tent Tim said. He must have lost his there befor. Sure enough there was the key. So he packs back up and we head off for a big breakfast.

After breakfast we were off to custer on the same road they used in the late 1800's. but back then it was a toll road.

it seems some guy from france came and built this toll road to get some of that gold everyone was rushing to custer to get.

Here is the modern day mules

thank fully the toll both was down. Custer was a neat little settlement. I found it to be very interesting how they lived in this hole between two mountains. They must have been strong people to live though the winter.

They built a jail out of 2x6s the laid them flat for the walls and up for the floors. that must have been one strong building.

this is one old tumb marking

my blog
Old 07-24-2007, 05:03 PM   #5
johnwesley
KLR Enthusiast

We decided to try our had at panning for gold. It seemed like a lot of boring work for little to nothing in return. Tim was the only one to find gold and It wasn't worth the paper they put it on.

the frenchman had it right let every pan for gold while he get paid. I'd rather raise cattle or own the local store. nothing could be a s bad as panning for gold.

well it's time to mount the mules and head own down the road.

It was time to start heading on over to Pinion peak. We had seen a lot of things so far but still had a ways to go, but I manged to get everyone to stop for a photo shot on the way.

I had a hard time getting the photos I wanted and holding the rest up so I decided to ride in the back so I can stop and take pics and see the scenery. My pictures do not even come close to capturing the beauty of the Idaho wildneress area. It is all that I have to share as I left my helment cam plug behind. This picture was of a breath taking place with a creek just runing beneth it. The photo it just isn't the same

pinion peak from a distance

after this I manged to catch up and pass the others in a effort to get them riding there steeds. We were almost to the peak when I got them riding.

Pinion peak was very cool. They have the american flag (of which I am proud) flying high to let everyone know they are open.

here is the amazing road we came up to get to this point.

my blog
Old 07-24-2007, 05:16 PM   #6
johnwesley
KLR Enthusiast

we rode about 350 miles of dirt that day and as the day wore on I manged to get extreemly tired and failed at taking the need pictures for a good ending to a great ride. As we climbed off the mountain and over vallies the trees changed shape and color. There is such a difference from one mountain range to the next. And from vally to vally to try and describe this with my
4th grade writing abilities would be a disgeace to the landscape. All I can say is WOW.

Thank you Tim for taking the time to show me a part of Idaho It is people like you who keep this sport alive. Tim Bernard of happy trails took three day out of his busy life to lead this kid around on a trip that will not be soon fogotten. It is people like this who deserve our patronage. So the next time you want something for you klr look up Happy-trail and see if they have what you need. I know that he has earned my support.

I leave you with this last picture which is just befor I hit pavement again.

my blog
Old 07-24-2007, 06:05 PM   #7
stecher
A Regular

Super Cool Since: Oct 2006
Locale: St. Louis
Postings: 57
stecher is on a distinguished road

Sweet report. Thanks for taking the time to post up. Not bad journalistic skills either. Ride On man, Ride on!
stecher is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 07-24-2007, 11:14 PM   #8
emmettken

Locale: emmett id
Postings: 490
emmettken is on a distinguished road

Great!!
emmettken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 08:04 AM   #9
jethro
Viva la Chubracabra!!
KLR Enthusiast

Locale: Tamalewood, NM
Postings: 790
jethro is on a distinguished road

good report

Looks like a blast.

04 KLR - original Rad Bypass by Martin (no cheap knock-offs for me)
Progressive's
EM-doo
Dented Tank
jethro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 08:24 PM   #10
SLO-KLR
KLR Enthusiast

Super Cool Since: May 2005
Locale: Paso Robles, CA
Postings: 966
SLO-KLR is on a distinguished road

Great photos John!!! I now have to put that on my must do list.
SLO-KLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 08:46 PM   #11
krpotter

Locale: East Tennessee
Postings: 284
krpotter is on a distinguished road

Looks like a great trip! Thanks for sharing.
krpotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 09:51 PM   #12
Buz

Super Cool Since: Apr 2007
Locale: Florida
Postings: 682
Buz is on a distinguished road

Great report! I'm considering Idaho for my next move and your photos only confirm my feeling about it.
Old 07-25-2007, 11:09 PM   #13
emmettken

Locale: emmett id
Postings: 490
emmettken is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buz View Post
Great report! I'm considering Idaho for my next move and your photos only confirm my feeling about it.
Idaho=dual sport paradise.
emmettken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007, 01:56 PM   #14
blackbirdzach

Super Cool Since: Jun 2007
Locale: 15 minutes West of Atlanta, GA
Postings: 17
blackbirdzach is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by emmettken View Post
Idaho=dual sport paradise.
Looks like it! I need to get out there some day...actually I need to take a couple of weeks and explore all over the West.
blackbirdzach is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 07-27-2007, 10:05 PM   #15
johnwesley
KLR Enthusiast

thanks for all the complinents. It was a awesome trip I have some of it saved on my gps if any want to run the exact same thing.

my blog
Old 05-01-2008, 04:32 PM   #16
wordstunner
Live like you're dying
Occasional Poster

Super Cool Since: Apr 2008
Locale: Escondido, CA
Postings: 3
wordstunner is on a distinguished road
Smile Re: Idaho Twin peaks tour

Great job! Most people don't know how beautiful Idaho is until they get there. I haven't been there in almost 11 years but the it is still with me. Keep riding and writing!
wordstunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 05:49 PM   #17
johnwesley
KLR Enthusiast

Thanks Idaho is awesome. My father-n-law lives there

my blog
Old 05-15-2008, 01:07 AM   #18
mtnbiker1096

Super Cool Since: Oct 2005
Locale: East Idaho
Postings: 299
mtnbiker1096 is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Re: Idaho Twin peaks tour

I know and ride with your father in law... He is one heck of a great guy.

Lime Limo '06 KLR650
06' CRF80F
01' Zuki JR80
mtnbiker1096 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 07:44 PM   #19
johnwesley
KLR Enthusiast

I agree

my blog
Old 05-25-2008, 01:12 AM   #20
Zoo
ZOO
A Regular

Super Cool Since: Jan 2008
Locale: Kelowna BC, canada
Postings: 103
Zoo is on a distinguished road

Twin peaks, Idaho? where is this cool road and mountain view point. I would like to come down and do it.

thanks Zoo
Zoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links

Tags
idaho, peaks, tour, twin