KLR650.NET Forums - Your Kawasaki KLR650 Resource! - The Original KLR650 Forum!
Go Back   KLR650.NET Forums - Your Kawasaki KLR650 Resource! - The Original KLR650 Forum! > KLR650.NET - Kawasaki KLR650 Forums > Maintenance, Mods, & Tech
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Maintenance, Mods, & Tech Wrenching and mods - KLR650 Maintenance discussion only!

Old 03-10-2009, 05:40 PM   #21
btsmokincat

Super Cool Since: May 2008
Locale: Oakland, ME
Postings: 632
btsmokincat is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Hesitation Surging problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiceViewBehindBars View Post
Old thread but I am having the same hesitation problems with my 08 and can't figure out whats wrong. I notice it more when the temps are above 70* and when the RPM's are 4-4500k. Anything more or less it doesn't do it. I have done the .22 cent mod (two washers installed, had one at first but added a second to see if it would fix hesitation problem), drilled slide, removed snorkel from air box, installed uni-filter, low buck exhaust mod (removed exhaust baffle), removed smog pump and plugged the holes, and adjusted air screw.

Anybody got any ideas? It's really annoying. I run 4k rpms at 60mph with my 16 tooth and it acts like it's running out of gas all the time. But again only when the temp is above 70* does it do it bad.

Thanks for any help...

Mine acted up when the temps were above 70 too. It turned out to be vapor lock. My gas cap was plugged. Next time it happens, crack open the gas cap, start it and continue riding with the cap just open or better yet put the spare key in the cap and when it starts to die open the cap without losing control! If it stops or doesn't do it again for the rest of the ride thats probably the issue. Take the gas cap apart and remove the two little orange and white vents and blow out the tank vent lines (the one that comes out under the front of the seat) Good luck.

.22 mod, PCV Mod, Gravity Petcock, Drilled Exhaust, New Intake Valves and an EagleMike Doo!

Yes that's a cam chain chewed doo spring. Do the Doo!
btsmokincat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 08:11 AM   #22
NiceViewBehindBars
Just Putt'n Roun'd.....

Super Cool Since: Aug 2008
Locale: Eastern Virginia
Postings: 281
NiceViewBehindBars is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by btsmokincat View Post
Mine acted up when the temps were above 70 too. It turned out to be vapor lock. My gas cap was plugged. Next time it happens, crack open the gas cap, start it and continue riding with the cap just open or better yet put the spare key in the cap and when it starts to die open the cap without losing control! If it stops or doesn't do it again for the rest of the ride thats probably the issue. Take the gas cap apart and remove the two little orange and white vents and blow out the tank vent lines (the one that comes out under the front of the seat) Good luck.
Great, I will try that! How did you convert your petcock to gravity feed?
Old 03-11-2009, 08:42 AM   #23
btsmokincat

Quote:
Love my gravity feed. Can fill my lawn mower without having to suck on anything!

Super easy to convert:

You will need some gasket material (I got a big roll from autozone for $7, only need about a 2" X 2" square though) and optional a 6mm course thread bolt and a 7mm bolt.

1. Ride until the tank is down to reserve and remove it, tilt it forward on the ground.
2. Remove petcock assembly (optional, I guess you could do it on the tank but you might as well take it off and clean it while you're in there and inspect the selector gasket)
3. Take the four screws off the back plate and remove all the guts.
4. Cut a piece of gasket to fit the plate and poke holes for the screws.
5. reasemble the petcock and plug the vacuum line from the carb, I used the 7mm bolt, don't forget this part!
6. Optional: I removed the vacuum nipple from the petcock and replaced it with the 6mm bolt just to keep any crap out.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg petcock22.JPG (17.7 KB, 69 views)

.22 mod, PCV Mod, Gravity Petcock, Drilled Exhaust, New Intake Valves and an EagleMike Doo!

Old 03-11-2009, 02:56 PM   #24
Trailryder42

Super Cool Since: Oct 2007
Locale: Amarillo, Tx.
Postings: 386
Trailryder42 is on a distinguished road

You done a lot of things to increase flow thru the engine. You might consider increasing your main jet size.

Quote:
Old thread but I am having the same hesitation problems with my 08 and can't figure out whats wrong. I notice it more when the temps are above 70* and when the RPM's are 4-4500k. Anything more or less it doesn't do it. I have done the .22 cent mod (two washers installed, had one at first but added a second to see if it would fix hesitation problem), drilled slide, removed snorkel from air box, installed uni-filter, low buck exhaust mod (removed exhaust baffle), removed smog pump and plugged the holes, and adjusted air screw.

Anybody got any ideas? It's really annoying. I run 4k rpms at 60mph with my 16 tooth and it acts like it's running out of gas all the time. But again only when the temp is above 70* does it do it bad.

Thanks for any help...
Old 03-11-2009, 03:27 PM   #25
Nibis

Super Cool Since: Jun 2008
Locale: Wright City, Mo.
Postings: 389
Nibis is on a distinguished road

Quote:
You can also shorten the fuel straw on the petcock with a tubing cutter, this will help increase fuel pressure when the tank is low
Nibis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 03:42 PM   #26
btsmokincat

Hey NiceViewBehindBars, not to change the subject but are you a corrections officer?

Old 03-11-2009, 03:48 PM   #27
NiceViewBehindBars
Just Putt'n Roun'd.....

Quote:
Hey NiceViewBehindBars, not to change the subject but are you a corrections officer?
nope.. I sell used auto parts..
Old 03-11-2009, 03:51 PM   #28
btsmokincat

Quote:
nope.. I sell used auto parts..
I take it there are a lot of cute bartenders in your area!

Old 03-11-2009, 04:07 PM   #29
NiceViewBehindBars
Just Putt'n Roun'd.....

Quote:
I take it there are a lot of cute bartenders in your area!
The bars I am refering too are handle bars...
Old 03-11-2009, 04:16 PM   #30
btsmokincat

I love to tease!

Old 03-17-2009, 01:58 PM   #31
NiceViewBehindBars
Just Putt'n Roun'd.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trailryder42 View Post
You done a lot of things to increase flow thru the engine. You might consider increasing your main jet size.
I am still having a hesitation sensation around 4k-5k rpms but only with temps above 65*. I checked to see if the gas top vent was clogged and it's not. I think it is running rich, since it runs fine when the temps are cool. Warmer air makes things run richer. I have the needle shimmed with two washers, but I have tried one washer and it does the same thing. Should I change the main jet? Get a KLX needle?
Old 03-17-2009, 04:01 PM   #32
NiceViewBehindBars
Just Putt'n Roun'd.....

I was just talking with my brother about this and he said his DR650 did the exact same thing. It all started after he drilled the slide hole larger. He said the larger hole makes the slide flutter up and down a little. He put a stiffer slide spring in and it fixed the problem. Anyone heard of this?
Old 03-17-2009, 05:39 PM   #33
Nibis

Quote:
I was just talking with my brother about this and he said his DR650 did the exact same thing. It all started after he drilled the slide hole larger. He said the larger hole makes the slide flutter up and down a little. He put a stiffer slide spring in and it fixed the problem. Anyone heard of this?
That should only matter if you drilled it the wrong size,(over 7/64ths) The dynojet kits come with a drill that's too big, # 30 I believe.
I get a slight hesitation at those rpm's when I crack the throttle fast to pass a car, but that happens cause it does not have an accelerator pump to overcome that momentary lean condition.

A stiffer slide spring would negate the the bigger hole in the slide, defeating the purpose of drilling the slide.

What do you have your pilot screw set at?
Sponsored links
Old 03-18-2009, 08:17 AM   #34
NiceViewBehindBars
Just Putt'n Roun'd.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nibis View Post
That should only matter if you drilled it the wrong size,(over 7/64ths) The dynojet kits come with a drill that's too big, # 30 I believe.
I get a slight hesitation at those rpm's when I crack the throttle fast to pass a car, but that happens cause it does not have an accelerator pump to overcome that momentary lean condition.

A stiffer slide spring would negate the the bigger hole in the slide, defeating the purpose of drilling the slide.

What do you have your pilot screw set at?
2 turns out on the pilot and the slide hole is 7/64.
Old 03-18-2009, 08:21 AM   #35
Nibis

Quote:
2 turns out on the pilot and the slide hole is 7/64.
I'd try 2.5 turns out
Old 03-24-2009, 07:06 PM   #36
ripcuda
A Regular

Super Cool Since: Oct 2006
Locale: Newman Lake, WA
Postings: 39
ripcuda is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Interesting you would mention this. I've been reading this and linked "hesitation" threads remembering back a few years ago when I had the exact same symptoms.

My '98 KLR was new to me at the time and I dove in (as usual with new toys) and tore it apart to ensure it was "good to go". I did the t-mod, two washers shimmed needle, drilled out the slide, reset the mixture screw 2 turns out, adjusted the valves, etc.

So the bike had these very hesitation issues you guys mention at around 4k rpm and hot weather... it was always hot in AL.

So I tried for months testing/replacing stuff to fix it... gas cap vent (nope), leaking petcock vac seal (fixed, no effect), new spark plug (nope), cleaned carb twice (nope), took one washer out under needle (nope), reset mixture to 2 1/2 turns out (nope). It was frustrating.

I finally bought a newer stock carb off ebay... of '06 parts bike. I didn't touch/mod it... put it on in stock condition. Problem solved.

I've always suspected it had to do with the slide after I drilled it. I would definitely not skip over this as a possibility.

Good luck.
ripcuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 02:47 PM   #37
outdoorsman
A Regular

Super Cool Since: Jan 2009
Locale: Pacific NW
Postings: 207
outdoorsman is on a distinguished road

Quote:

Thanks for any help...
I have done the same mods as you[except used one washer] and experienced the same performance. It ran as if it was starving for more fuel.The 08' comes stock with a 145 main jet. I increased the sized to a 150 and 2 turns out on the pilot screw and all is well now. I intend to do the petcock mod and hopefully that should eliminate any furthur running issues..
outdoorsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 12:02 AM   #38
nhdiesel
A Regular

Super Cool Since: Apr 2009
Locale: Milan, NH
Postings: 147
nhdiesel is on a distinguished road

I just left this message on the other thread about this subject:

Just to add more confusion to this, I'm having the surging at ~3k-5k rpms, at its worse around 4k. Its not wind, it will do it in any gear, even 1st at a very low speed. Its not the heat, I just took a 2 hour ride and it was around 55 deg. when I left, and just under 50 when i got home. Its not the chain, it doesn't do it when I pull the clutch in. Richening the carb doesn't seem to helped any. I did the .22 mod, drilled slide and adjusted the air screw 2 turns out (1 3/4 wasn't enough). Had surge before and after carb mods. Cleaned the air filter when I did carb mods.

I'm curious about the ethanol, and also my petcock. I'm going to do the gravity feed mod, and also look around to see if i can find any straight gas.

Jim

Anyone want to buy an '06 with a 685 kit?
nhdiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 12:38 PM   #39
bshirl
Occasional Poster

Super Cool Since: Mar 2009
Locale: Dallas, TX
Postings: 1
bshirl is on a distinguished road

Just completed 1500 mile trip over 5 days & I too had this surging bug strike during only 2 very hot days. I was touring through & around Big Bend out in West Texas last week (Friday hit 113 inside the park). Surging only occurred after noon on these 2 very hottest days and as soon as evening rolled around and temps began to drop - I was problem free.
Has anyone come up with a definitive solution for this? My '06 motor and carb are completely stock at this point (except for the doo).

Thanks for any insight,
Brent
bshirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 01:05 AM   #40
Aonghus
A Work in Progress

Super Cool Since: Sep 2008
Locale: Lebanon, Oregon
Postings: 919
Aonghus is on a distinguished road

Guess no one has the answer yet. I have a 93, shimmed needle, drilled slide, screw out 2.5 turns, 150 main jet, and have yet to notice the surging. I went on a ride with three other KLR's on Sunday, about 80 degrees and a 100 mile ride, all three of them complained of the surging but I honestly didn't notice it on mine. We were riding between 300 and 2000 feet elevation on twisty pavement. I've heard it's worse when just cruising at a steady pace. We're planning on tearing into the issue on their bikes so I'll update what we try and the results.

"There is scarcely anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse, and sell a little more cheaply. The person who buys on price alone is this man's lawful prey." John Ruskin
Aonghus is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links