KLR650.NET Forums - Your Kawasaki KLR650 Resource! - The Original KLR650 Forum!
Go Back   KLR650.NET Forums - Your Kawasaki KLR650 Resource! - The Original KLR650 Forum! > KLR250 & Super Sherpa, KLX > KLR250 Main Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
KLR250 Main Discussion Discussion & Maintenance

Old 08-18-2003, 11:16 AM   #1
Thumper
SUSPICIOUS CHARACTER
A Regular

Super Cool Since: Aug 2003
Postings: 178
Thumper is on a distinguished road
Default KLR 250 VS SUPER SHERPA

anybody know witch one of these bike is best fo a beginner. plan's on ridin on hwy most of the time may do some tourin arond the south.
Old 08-18-2003, 05:07 PM   #2
TrustyRusty436
KLR Enthusiast

Super Cool Since: Jun 2003
Locale: Nashville Tn.
Postings: 756
TrustyRusty436 is on a distinguished road

I have never rode either one, but from what I have read on them they are no really good for highway cruising. 65 or 70mph is running them pretty hard, on back roads and around town is more their niche. The Sherpa is probly simpler to maintain[air cooled], and maybe less expensive to buy, its lighter than the klr250 and easier handling. People seem to like their sherpa's, but I don't know about the highway part, even the klr650 is running somewhat high rpm's on the freeway.
Old 08-18-2003, 07:13 PM   #3
Glenn
Site Administrator

Locale: USA
Postings: 17,664
Glenn has much to be proud ofGlenn has much to be proud ofGlenn has much to be proud ofGlenn has much to be proud ofGlenn has much to be proud ofGlenn has much to be proud ofGlenn has much to be proud ofGlenn has much to be proud of

Sherpa is electric start, too.
Glenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2003, 07:38 PM   #4
Thumper
SUSPICIOUS CHARACTER
A Regular

thanks ,young lady next door is wantin to get one I tell her the news.
Old 08-19-2003, 01:33 AM   #5
Maniac
LEVEL 3 STAFF

Locale: Hemet, CA
Postings: 3,564
Maniac has much to be proud ofManiac has much to be proud ofManiac has much to be proud ofManiac has much to be proud ofManiac has much to be proud ofManiac has much to be proud ofManiac has much to be proud ofManiac has much to be proud of

Thumper, you said 'tourin', and that pretty much rules out the sherpa, unless you can stay off the super slab that is. The 650 is a fine beginners bike, as long as you are at least~ 5'10 tall.
Maniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2003, 05:39 PM   #6
Glenn
Site Administrator

Glenn has much to be proud ofGlenn has much to be proud ofGlenn has much to be proud ofGlenn has much to be proud ofGlenn has much to be proud ofGlenn has much to be proud ofGlenn has much to be proud ofGlenn has much to be proud of

I humbly disagree with Maniac. Shorter riders (even 5'6) can ride the KLR650, it will just take some extra maneuvering until you get moving. I'm 5'9 and can't touch flat foot, but you will adjust quickly. There are also lowering links available for anyone who MUST have it lowered. The front springs can be shortened, too.
Old 08-23-2003, 07:58 AM   #7
Chuckklr98

Locale: 6th ward Louisiana
Postings: 573
Chuckklr98 is on a distinguished road

My klr250 can go 80 mph checked with gps. I cruise my 250 at 60-65 on the I-10 interstate right lane only! The super Sherpa top speed is 75 mph. By the way, I noticed that when I cruise down Bourbon St. NO LA everybody motions for me to do a wheelie. Front wheel up was the reply.
Chuckklr98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2003, 08:52 AM   #8
Judjonzz

Locale: Gone fishin'
Postings: 10,618
Judjonzz is on a distinguished road

There is both a Sherpa and a KLR 250 in our local (BMW) club, so I have ridden them both, seen them in action, and, of course, discussed them with their owners. While the KLR is dog-slow, it is more capable off-road. Either one is easily capable of completing a typical DS ride, including gnarly "hero" sections. For an inexperienced or inseam-challenged rider, I would favor the Sherpa, for its low seat height and electric start.

As a fan of 250 touring, I would not hesitate to load up either one for a 400 mile weekend of poking around back roads and cowtrails. No reason to shy away from the highway, or longer trips, as long as you can live with the limitations.
Judjonzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2003, 01:04 PM   #9
Thumper
SUSPICIOUS CHARACTER
A Regular

I was told the sherpa has been drop by kawasaki for 2004.
Old 08-29-2003, 06:59 PM   #10
Radon222
A Regular

Postings: 95
Radon222 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by Thumper
I was told the sherpa has been drop by kawasaki for 2004.

Yes it has. Now there are just the KLR 250 & 650

Old 08-30-2003, 01:40 AM   #11
Glenn
Site Administrator

Wow, that is really too bad. The Super Sherpa is a great little 250cc bike.
Old 11-13-2003, 08:30 AM   #12
BigThumper

Super Cool Since: Oct 2003
Postings: 574
BigThumper is on a distinguished road
Default Reviving old threads

I've had my sherpa for almost a year now. I really like it. When a friend and I go to the national forest to ride trails, he takes his XR650L and I take the sherpa. You'd be surprised how much more effort it takes for him to handle that hoss than it does for me to scoot around on the sherp
I'm usually at least a 100 yards ahead on a tight trail. On fire roads and the like though, I'm eating dust!

I'd love to have a KLR250 also. Maybe one day I can find a good used one. I'll give the sherpa to my wife and I'd ride the KLR on the trails.
I've tried to take the KLR650 down some of the trails that I go on the sherpa and the challange increases 10 fold. You just can't beat the little 250's for tight trails, IMHO.
Old 11-13-2003, 09:35 AM   #13
Bakelite
KLR Enthusiast

Locale: BC, Canada
Postings: 1,256
Bakelite is on a distinguished road

The Super Sherpa is available in Canada but the KLR250 is not. Weird huh?
Old 11-13-2003, 03:09 PM   #14
Glenn
Site Administrator

It's reverse here.
Old 11-16-2003, 01:46 PM   #15
MATT

Postings: 15
MATT is on a distinguished road

My 250 is great on the trails and logging roads but only ok on the street. My max speed on the speedo has been 74 mph but I know this is not accurate. I will still ride it anywhere but stay to the right any time I'm on the hwy.
MATT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2003, 04:09 AM   #16
moat5606
A Regular

Postings: 207
moat5606 is on a distinguished road

No Sherpa experience, but -

I bought a '97 KLR250 a few months back - a great little bike. I agree with Judjonzz on 250 touring (I've done some 300 mi. days on a Ninja 250 - no problem) - I'd love to load the KLR up and spend a week (or ten!) of putzin' backroads and fireroads! I think it'd do great.

Mine indicates 90 MPH on top (probably really 80-82) and it feels like the engine's not straining too much up 'til around 60 indicated - I'd be comfortable with no more than that, for all day long. Sweet spot feels about 55.

Too bad the engine's powerband is a little peaky, as it really is just sitting at the bottom of the cam at 60 MPH/6500 RPM, and feels a bit flat (but adequate) below that - I'd prefer more torque at 3-6000 RPM's where I spend most of my time. Takes A LOT of throttle to maintain 55-60 against any sort of headwind in top gear (but it WILL maintain that against what normal headwinds/hills I've seen on it so far). Maybe I'll just have to get used to *winces* wringin' the tongue out of it?

Even with a very upright/weight-on-butt seating position, the seat is more comfortable than my gel-modified Yamaha YZF600r's seat. Pleasant suprise.

And spooky smooth, at about any speed - for a single.

70 mpg avg. so far. Uses no oil, and oil stays very clean (ring/cylinder integrity appears excellent).

Seems to have plenty of radiator, as it has stayed cool enough on warm fall days (70 F or so) at extended plonking speeds without the fan kicking on or temp needle climbing much above what's seen in normal road operation.

Easy, no shim valve adjustment. Kickstart only, but as others have mentioned - consistently starts very easily with 1-2 low effort kicks (mostly 1). Even with a dead battery.

It's a dandy. Now - if I could only figure how to graft on a KLR650's fairing and a DRZ/KLX400 motor.....

Bob
moat5606 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2004, 02:37 PM   #17
BigThumper

Postings: 574
BigThumper is on a distinguished road

I took the sherpa out the other day for some nice trail riding.
On the way back home on level ground, tucked in, I hit 86mph indicated. The fastest yet. It felt eager to go so I let it run!

Isn't that just about 10mph slower than the 650???
Of course it took me a little longer to get there.
BigThumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2004, 09:51 AM   #18
mxtrail

Super Cool Since: Sep 2003
Postings: 394
mxtrail is on a distinguished road

I have a Sherpa and have to say it's a great beginners bike. Low seat and rev limiter make it easy to ride and nearly indestructable. My Sherpa is a great commuter and nimble trail bike to say the least. But, on the interstate, the big trucks really blow me around. I'll ride my Sherpa on the interstate, but only for short distances. The Super Sherpa is no longer available in the US but there are still used and new crated Sherpas available if you look. Good Luck.

MxTrail
mxtrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2004, 11:26 PM   #19
birdmove
Jon in Keaau, Hawaii
A Regular

Super Cool Since: Sep 2004
Locale: Keaau, Hawaii
Postings: 94
birdmove is on a distinguished road

About a year ago or so, I saw a website with a KLR250 owner that had installed the fairing off a KLR650.He also geared the bike up a little bit for more relaxed freeway rpms.Wish I could locate that.We exchanged an email or two about it.

I'm thinking of tradeing in my 250 on a KLR650 (or DR650, or XR650L).I'd really miss the 250 though.Other than two warranty problems in the first year (2001 model)-one minor, and one major-I've put 8000 very fun miles on it.I ride to work and back on the freeways at 60-70 mph, and the darn bike just doesn't complain.It does get blown around for sure though.If I get a 650, I'll really miss the 250 when I hit any tough trails.But I'd like something that can handle freeway speeds for longer periods of time.
Old 11-20-2004, 08:02 AM   #20
Driller

Super Cool Since: May 2004
Locale: Tryon, NC
Postings: 461
Driller is on a distinguished road

I have both the 250 and 650. I got the 250 last fall and got hooked on off road riding. Sold a VTR1000 to pay for some roof repairs this spring and there was enough left over to buy a 650 that "found"me. Now, it is a struggle to decide which one to hop on. In a year's time I have put about 4500 miles on the big'un and almost 4000miles on the little burro. Truly, I would not know which one to give up if I had to. Guess both will be in my barn for a long time.
$5300 in both is not bad money spent IMHO
"He who suffers from MBS" (multiple bike syndrome)
Now a heretic...riding a Zook.
Driller is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links