KLR650.NET Forums - Your Kawasaki KLR650 Resource! - The Original KLR650 Forum!
Go Back   KLR650.NET Forums - Your Kawasaki KLR650 Resource! - The Original KLR650 Forum! > KLR650.NET - Kawasaki KLR650 Forums > KLR650 Main Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
KLR650 Main Discussion First generation KLR650 Related Topics, 1987-2007

Old 07-27-2010, 11:33 AM   #1
patsue

Super Cool Since: Feb 2005
Locale: Colorado Springs, Colorado
Postings: 252
patsue is on a distinguished road
Default testing for bad rectifire?

Somebody show me a way to quickly test if my rectifier is bad? Having some problems as per my other post.

Thanks,

patrick
patsue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 12:38 PM   #2
Clever1

Super Cool Since: Jan 2010
Locale: Eagle Idaho
Postings: 344
Clever1 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: testing for bad rectifire?

Quote:
Originally Posted by patsue View Post
Somebody show me a way to quickly test if my rectifier is bad? Having some problems as per my other post.

Thanks,

patrick
Thats a tough one. Usually your bike just stops dead when the rectifier goes bad and your stuck wonder why the hell your bike won't run.

I found this.... here --> http://en.allexperts.com/q/Motorcycl...components.htm

Pretty good page

Rectifier:
When a coil produces electricity, it sends current in positive and negative waves. The battery can only charge on the positive side of these waves. A rectifier has silicon diodes that only allow half the wave to get through. Between 1960 and 1980, many small engines had single wave rectifiers. Nowadays, most bikes have full wave, bridged rectifiers that have four diodes. All this rectifies or changes AC current to DC current to charge the battery. To test the rectifier, hook up the ohmmeter leads to one of the wires and to the ground (mounting) stud. Note the reading. Now reverse the leads from the ohmmeter and note the reading again. The exact reading is not all that important, but there should be a big difference between the two if the diode is working right. Test each of the wires this way. If any wire is very close in the two readings then the diode is leaking and no good. If there is no continuity, then the diode is shorted out and no good. Be careful not to turn the bolt holding all the diodes together. This can short them out. It is possible to test the rectifier with a circuit tester by adding a D flashlight battery in line with the circuit tester. You want to see the light illuminate in one direction, and not in the other. If a you blow the main fuse, it's possible one of the rectifier's diodes has failed and is letting current from the battery flow back to ground.
Clever1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 07-27-2010, 01:54 PM   #3
Beezerboy
KLR Enthusiast

Super Cool Since: Feb 2006
Locale: Alaska
Postings: 1,231
Beezerboy is on a distinguished road

Look at the manual.... it has a chart that shows what an ohm meter should read (except the readings are backwards).... basically you connect one lead to each of the 3 inputs and the other to the plus out... they should all read open (infinity) in one polarity and about 500 ohms when reversed, you MUST use a "diode" scale on a digital meter in order to "turn on" the device...other scales will not (by design). The ohms will be different if you use an analog meter, but the process is the same.

OR test under load:

Start the bike, disconnect one battery lead and measure AC volts from the rectifier... anything over about 1/2 VAC is bad.
Beezerboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 02:54 PM   #4
Gruf Rude

Super Cool Since: May 2007
Locale: Cheyenne Wyoming
Postings: 1,696
Gruf Rude is on a distinguished road

Buy the Clymer's manual and a small multimeter from Sears or Radio Shack or Harbor Freight and follow the procedure that Clymer's gives you. Quite easy and you'll find lots more uses for the manual and the meter as you get to know your new ride.
Gruf Rude is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links

Tags
bad, rectifire, testing