KLR650.NET Forums - Your Kawasaki KLR650 Resource! - The Original KLR650 Forum!
Go Back   KLR650.NET Forums - Your Kawasaki KLR650 Resource! - The Original KLR650 Forum! > KLR650.NET - Kawasaki KLR650 Forums > 2008 through 2015+ KLR650 Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
2008 through 2015+ KLR650 Discussion The new, industry dominating second generation KLR650

Old 09-04-2011, 01:50 AM   #1
Ford Prefect
A Regular

Super Cool Since: Aug 2011
Locale: Northern Utah
Postings: 97
Ford Prefect is on a distinguished road
Default Feels like the rear tire wobbles?

Hello all

When I ride the bike sometimes feels like the rear tire are wobbling on me, it feels like the rear slides back and forth. IS this normal? Is it just the tires being, well, interesting, or is the likely something failed on the bike which I should be concerned about?

So this is my first bike, and I have had it for about a month. Only been on three rides, total of about six hours of riding time on the bike.

I have very limited experience on other bikes, and the only dirt oriented bikes were mx bikes on trails. (total of about another five or six hours riding time on those.)

Bike info.
09 KLR650
Shinko 700 rear tire, almost bald.
Only modification is a skid plate under the bike.
The Chain seems to be set properly according to everything I have read. I did not look to see if perhaps the rear wheel might be mounted curiously. (not sure how I would know)
The bead looks like fine by visual inspection
the tire appears totally full, and drives nice otherwise. (I did not put a gauge on the tire though.)

I tend to feel the wobble on odd tarmac, like groved surfaces, etc.
I also noticed it in smooth stuff going around a few corners today at about 20-30mph.

I do not notice any thing that concerns me via visual inspection, but as I said, I have limited experience. Ergo I do not feel qualified to give any thoughts as to anything other than the most obvious breakage.

Thanks for the opinions, and thoughts. As I said, I am fairly new, so please be kind.

And yes, I did try to search, but did not find anything the first go round, will try again.

Regards,
The Muskoka Foundation - Volunteer Programs For Overland Travelers "Use what you know, to do good as you go."
TheMuskokaFoundation.orgFollow us on Twitter: @DoGoodAsYouGo

Last edited by Ford Prefect; 09-04-2011 at 02:14 AM.
Ford Prefect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 09:01 AM   #2
RBR SIDE DWN

Super Cool Since: Dec 2010
Locale: Hillsburgh Ontario
Postings: 626
RBR SIDE DWN is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Feels like the rear tire wobbles?

Welcome to the site.

First of all replace the rubber. It may have been ridden by a person who locked up the rear brake extensively, increasing the wear and uneven to the tire and old bald tires tend to slide a bit.

Check that your rear wheel is in alignment (both side adjusters are the same). On you adjuster spin the locking nut all the way out until it hits the head of the adjuster bolt. Then wind the adjuster bolt all the way into the swingarm until it stops. Using toe-nail polish or touch up paint paint the flat side on the adjuster bolt that's facing you, then using the lock nut so you don't rub the paint off, start winding out the adjuster bolt carefully, counting the times the painted side comes by (start at 8 revs). After you have done this to both sides push rear wheel hard against the adjusters and tighten rear axle snugly, lower bike and check for chain slack. If too loose, raise bike, loosen axle and try a half or full revolution on the adjuster. Repeat until chain is just right and then tighten axle to spec and wind adjuster locking nut into place up against swing arm. There is a string method, but I have found that it's almost impossible to use on knobby tires.

The KLR does tend to wander and follow grooves in the road or be swayed alot by the wind but will most allways find its piggy way back on track. Relax and don't try to correct all the time and you will have a great ride.

Last edited by RBR SIDE DWN; 09-04-2011 at 09:04 AM.
RBR SIDE DWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 09-04-2011, 09:17 AM   #3
Blackheart
KLR Enthusiast

Super Cool Since: Dec 2008
Locale: Morgan, Utah
Postings: 2,296
Blackheart will become famous soon enough

The wheel itself can also be out of round, or have lateral runout. You say you don't have much experience...but, come on...you haven't even checked the air pressure?

My advice is to get someone with experience to help you out for a bit. It's too hard to diagnose something like this over the internet, and it's too important not to get it fixed if there is truly something wrong. You could be missing a spacer on the axle, or have a wheel that is shot, or, nothing could be wrong and you're just loosing traction while riding in the dirt for the first time...which is normal.

Good luck with your bike...be sure and pay attention to what your friend explains to you. Learning to take care of and maintain your own bike is part of the fun for many of us.
Old 09-04-2011, 10:01 AM   #4
jeffsaline

Super Cool Since: Apr 2008
Locale: Rapid City, South Dakota
Postings: 8,146
jeffsaline has a spectacular aura aboutjeffsaline has a spectacular aura aboutjeffsaline has a spectacular aura about

Ford Perfect,

Stuff that you mention that would cause a funny rear end feeling include the bald tire and not knowing the tire pressure.

Both can get fixed at the same time.

Get a new rear tire and a new front at the same time if the front is getting close to worn out.

I like 32 psi front and 36 psi rear for tire pressures on pavement.

Also a guy could easily check spoke tension. Don't change any spoke more than 1/4 turn per pass. Only make them tighter.

Best,

Jeff

Do Not Steal, Do Not Lie, Do Not Be Lazy

Good, Fast, Cheap - - - Pick Two

"Just because something isn't true, no reason you can't believe it." Hub McCann in Secondhand Lions

Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
jeffsaline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 10:05 AM   #5
Groovyspuds
Groovyspuds
A Regular

Super Cool Since: Feb 2011
Locale: Vancouver, WA
Postings: 98
Groovyspuds is on a distinguished road

Get that rear tire off and check for the inside spacer. I had one missing on my used machine. Doesn't take long and it's good to know how to do it. Lots of web stuff out there on how to do it and what it should look like.
Groovyspuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 07:28 PM   #6
jetwag03
A Regular

Super Cool Since: Apr 2010
Locale: Columbia MD
Postings: 51
jetwag03 is on a distinguished road

Also increase the rear shock setting to 5 the highest setting.
jetwag03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 11:49 PM   #7
frankskimahorn
A Regular

Super Cool Since: May 2009
Locale: Albuquerque, New Mexico
Postings: 67
frankskimahorn is on a distinguished road

What they said above and the PO might have put a huge amount of SLIME in the tire which could make it feel wonky.
Sponsored links
Old 09-05-2011, 12:27 PM   #8
Ford Prefect
A Regular

Thanks all, I am grateful for the comments. Some of it is a bit greek to me, but I think I can work it out. I will begin looking at the adjuster on the rear wheel.

Sorry, what would I look for on the spacer? IE what does it look like? I guess I can try to do a search for that one...

Spokes, I have never done anything with spokes but put playing cards in them when I was a kid! So how do I know if they are looking good? Just flick them like on a harp, and determine if they are taught or not?

As for the new tires. The front is in pretty good shape, about half the tread left on it and I have a spare new front in the garage. The rear, well, I am going to work that out as soon as I can, but unfortunately the money went to buying the bike, and I have to take it slow.

Lastly the tire does not get squirmy on the dirt, only on the tarmac. I have found it very nice on the dirt, and despite being close to the wear line it still does really well off road. (Well yesterday I tried to go up something that was really very steep and with tons of gravel and softball to cannalope sized lose rocks and the thing would not go up that, but I made it up 400 of 410 yards of the stuff before it stopped, sigh, and I was ultimately defeated by it! grr!) (I am also guessing, as I am 250lbs on a 425lbs bike, I might have had a better chance all around on a dirt bike, but this is what I have!)

Well thanks again all, I will try to look into that stuff, and I am not trying to over correct, just feeling out the bike and learning its tells.

Regards,
Brian
The Muskoka Foundation - Volunteer Programs For Overland Travelers "Use what you know, to do good as you go."
Old 09-05-2011, 07:24 PM   #9
Blackheart
KLR Enthusiast

Super Cool Since: Dec 2008
Locale: Morgan, Utah
Postings: 2,296
Blackheart will become famous soon enough

Brian,

Find a way to get your rear wheel off the ground, so you can spin the wheel and observe it for any out-of-roundness. Observe not only the tire, but, also the rim. If the rim goes side-to-side or up-and-down, you have some spoke work to do. Tightening a spoke will do two things: 1) Pull the rim toward the hub and 2) Pull the rim toward the hub flange that the spoke originates on. Generally, the spokes should have roughly similar tension, but, that certainly doesn't mean they are all tensioned the same. Unless you have experience with spokes, I would suggest getting someone to help you with that.

The spacers are on a blow-up schematic...just make sure they are there.

I'm guessing you're going to find the tire itself is a bit out of round or woppy-jawed.

It could be a big clog of Slime that is in there, if Slime was used on it in the past.

Hope it's something simple! Or, at least cheap!
Old 09-05-2011, 10:00 PM   #10
jeffsaline

Super Cool Since: Apr 2008
Locale: Rapid City, South Dakota
Postings: 8,146
jeffsaline has a spectacular aura aboutjeffsaline has a spectacular aura aboutjeffsaline has a spectacular aura about

Ford Perfect,

You still haven't addressed tire pressure. That would be the absolute first thing I'd check.

Best,

Jeff

Do Not Steal, Do Not Lie, Do Not Be Lazy

Good, Fast, Cheap - - - Pick Two

"Just because something isn't true, no reason you can't believe it." Hub McCann in Secondhand Lions

Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
jeffsaline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 06:16 PM   #11
stecz
A Regular

Super Cool Since: Nov 2007
Locale: Cedar Park, TX
Postings: 120
stecz is on a distinguished road

I have Shinko 705s tires on my '09 and they are terrible once they wear.... They seem ok when they are new, but when the they get worn, they make the bike feel like the rear tire is flat, it shimmies side to side between 10 and 30 mph and overall are not confidence inspiring.

I'm ok with the Shinko's, but I have to replace them well before they are worn down. Granted, I rode the rear for 12k miles before it got bad and the front has lasted for 18k miles, but I may not go with the Shinko's again because of this.

Since it's a used bike, be wary of all of the other stuff folks have mentioned, but investigate all of that as you replace your tires either with new Shinkos or something else...
stecz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 01:26 AM   #12
Ford Prefect
A Regular

Thanks everyone. We will give it all a try.

Just got through with my MSF course today. 100%, what a nice feeling that was.

Anyhow, I can post up if you like once I have the problem solved. I am sure one of those things will be the trick!

Thanks and Regards,
Brian
Old 09-10-2011, 01:40 AM   #13
Chuck 150
A Regular

Super Cool Since: Jun 2011
Locale: Anaheim California
Postings: 90
Chuck 150 is on a distinguished road

spend a few extra bucks and get a better tire than a shinko !! you'll not regret it. While your wheel is off check for play in your wheel bearings and make sure if they are not sealed to check for grease. once you get it all together and before you set it back on the ground, give it a few shakes side to side and feel for and slop. if its tight and all seems well including tight spokes you should be okay for a easy spin around the block to see how she feels. while your at it lube your chain and check your oil ! ( BTW. I just put a set of metzeler karoo's on mine and they are awesome. just a little help on tire choice .)

2008 KLR 650
2005 Harley Davidson Softail Deluxe
Chuck 150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 06:39 PM   #14
GoMotor

Super Cool Since: Oct 2009
Locale: Texas
Postings: 6,245
GoMotor is just really niceGoMotor is just really niceGoMotor is just really niceGoMotor is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford Prefect View Post
.................I did not put a gauge on the tire though.

I tend to feel the wobble on odd tarmac, like groved surfaces, etc.
You may not have much of a problem. Low pressure in the tire will make it feel wobbly. Also, rain grooved pavement will make any bike feel a little or a lot wiggly. If it wiggles on grooved pavement wait until you get on one of those steel grate bridges. If you have some ridding buddies, ride one of their bikes in a place where yours feels wobbly for comparison.
GoMotor is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 09-10-2011, 10:47 PM   #15
sanfordturbo
A Regular

Super Cool Since: Feb 2008
Locale: Gainesville, GA
Postings: 48
sanfordturbo is on a distinguished road

I had the same problem with perceived rear tire wobble. Turns out a bolt was missing from the bike! This bolt basically holds up the seat frame assembly. I have no idea what the real term for this thing is. I looked it up on the on-line parts catalogs and it simply calls it:

92002:
BOLT,FLANGED,8X28

The seat frame is like the number "7". Flat horizontally, where you sit, then it angles down and bolts to the frame in two locations. One of mine was missing, so it wiggled when i rode. Sensation went away after i replaced the bolt. Use lock tite.
sanfordturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 09:35 AM   #16
jumper11
Occasional Poster

Super Cool Since: Jun 2011
Locale: pottsville
Postings: 9
jumper11 is on a distinguished road

i just had the same thing with my bike feels like the rear is floating back and forth and going into turns the weight feels like it is all sitting in the rear. cranked up the shock up to the no. 5 setting made a big difference in ride less of a floating feeling and more of an evened out feeling. weight feels more distributed to front and back. also when i was at the dealership getting the oil changed i told the mechanic about the problem he said also the knobby tires could also be causing some of this feeling, he said to try a 70% road, 30% offroad tire. also he said it might help eliminate some of the vibration i am feeling.
jumper11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 11:19 AM   #17
stecz
A Regular

Super Cool Since: Nov 2007
Locale: Cedar Park, TX
Postings: 120
stecz is on a distinguished road

I ordered some Continental Trail Attacks to see how those work for me. I commute about 50 miles/day, so offroad tread is not my highest priority... (unfortunately)
stecz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 02:25 AM   #18
Hynns
Occasional Poster

Super Cool Since: Oct 2008
Locale: Huntington Beach, California
Postings: 8
Hynns is on a distinguished road

Hello,
I am reading the wobbly tire explanation and have a problem somewhat similar. I removed my rear wheel today, took it to a shop who installed my new tire. I was careful to put it back together carefully and the tire feels loose, and it won't even rotate i/8 turn before the brake rotor hits the brake pad mechanism. Any ideas? This is crazy-frustrating. I took pictures of the bolt assembly order just to make sure I got it right and marked the tension bars where they were before the wheel was removed. I read a few entries up that I should use nail polish on one of the surfaces to turn them out equally on both sides. Could this be the problem? It just seems the whole thing should not be so lose! Helllllppppppp!
Hynns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 07:13 AM   #19
fradsham
A Regular

Super Cool Since: Jul 2011
Locale: Paradise, NL Canada
Postings: 160
fradsham is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hynns View Post
Hello,
I am reading the wobbly tire explanation and have a problem somewhat similar. I removed my rear wheel today, took it to a shop who installed my new tire. I was careful to put it back together carefully and the tire feels loose, and it won't even rotate i/8 turn before the brake rotor hits the brake pad mechanism. Any ideas? This is crazy-frustrating. I took pictures of the bolt assembly order just to make sure I got it right and marked the tension bars where they were before the wheel was removed. I read a few entries up that I should use nail polish on one of the surfaces to turn them out equally on both sides. Could this be the problem? It just seems the whole thing should not be so lose! Helllllppppppp!
when you rotate the rear tire (while it is off the ground) does the chain run straight, to the left, or to the right while you stand directly behind it?

There are two possibilities that i can think of:

1) the rear wheel was slightly out of line before causing an uneven contact with the rear brake pad and now with the alignment you are contacting the surface that was not worn.
or
2) your wheel is out of alignment now, which means check the alignment as mentioned above.

hope it is the latter so it does not mean a new brake pad...
Old 09-19-2011, 08:05 AM   #20
Groovyspuds
Groovyspuds
A Regular

Super Cool Since: Feb 2011
Locale: Vancouver, WA
Postings: 98
Groovyspuds is on a distinguished road

And, I assume you made sure that inner spacer was in place........
Groovyspuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links

Tags
feels, rear, tire, wobbles