KLR650.NET Forums - Your Kawasaki KLR650 Resource! - The Original KLR650 Forum!
Go Back   KLR650.NET Forums - Your Kawasaki KLR650 Resource! - The Original KLR650 Forum! > KLR250 & Super Sherpa, KLX > KLR250 Main Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
KLR250 Main Discussion Discussion & Maintenance

Old 09-17-2011, 11:10 AM   #1
lugnuts
Occasional Poster

Super Cool Since: Jun 2011
Locale: Colorado
Postings: 9
lugnuts is on a distinguished road
Default Bad Petcock gasket

When I got my bike, there was a big hole in the powerband. After being advised to clean the carb, I tried Sea Foam (limited success), then took the carb to bits and cleaned everything. Ran like a champ after that. When I had everything apart, I disassembled the fuel petcock. I did this b/c I couldn't shut off the fuel when I went to pull the carb. Turns out that little rubber gasket in the fuel petcock was mostly disintegrated (2001 klr250). I rode the bike anyway but noticed that the overflow from the carb would drip gas slowly when parked. I assumed that once the bowl filled with gas, the needle would seat and shut off the flow. So my question: Does anyone make a good after market florocarbon gasket for the petcock? I've had nothing but bad luck with all the cheap rubber gaskets that have flooded the market since Viet Nam started over taking the rubber industry.
lugnuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 12:40 PM   #2
Joe SS 396

Super Cool Since: Jan 2006
Locale: Seffner, Fl.
Postings: 326
Joe SS 396 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Bad Petcock gasket

May be the ethanol eating the rubber.
Old 09-17-2011, 01:18 PM   #3
lugnuts
Occasional Poster

Super Cool Since: Jun 2011
Locale: Colorado
Postings: 9
lugnuts is on a distinguished road

Ethanol could be part of the problem-especially if the rubber was substandard to begin with. But it wouldn't explain why my model T Ford tires disintigrate after 3 months in the garage. Are klr owners putting fuel filters between the petcock and the carb? Thx.Andy
lugnuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 01:23 PM   #4
newcastleadam
Adventurerer
A Regular

Super Cool Since: Jul 2010
Locale: Gainesville, Fl
Postings: 136
newcastleadam is on a distinguished road

It sounds like there are two issues that may not be related.

1) Petcock gasket deteriorated
2) Carb overflowing
2a) Float valve not seating
2b) Float height too high

Remember that the petcock allows fuel to flow to the carb, but the carb float valve allows fuel in to the carb. If that is not sealing correctly then fuel will flow out the overflow tubing. What may have happened is that when you took everything apart the float needle dried out or somehow got nicked and is not longer seating correctly. This can happen when you try an re-use older rubber parts. Not always, but it can happen. Alternatively you could have changed the float height when taking everything apart, and the float valve is stuck open. This site can help you fix float height.

For the petcock, I've had good luck with Kawi parts. Never really seen ethanol eat the rubber, it usually gums it up hard well before that happens.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lugnuts View Post
Are klr owners putting fuel filters between the petcock and the carb? Thx.Andy
I generally do.

Best,
2006 K1200LT The Cow
KLR Doohickey Wrench available! PM for more info!
newcastleadam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 10:47 AM   #5
TownsendsFJR1300
KLR Enthusiast

Super Cool Since: May 2008
Locale: SW Florida
Postings: 1,285
TownsendsFJR1300 is on a distinguished road

One poster sometime back found the overflow tube which is attached inside the float bowl itself was CRACKED. So instead of fuel overflowing when it got to the top of that little tube, it was seeping thru the crack well below the actual float level. He found a brass tube and replaced it.

As for the gas tank valve, I'd replace the o-rings with genuine OEM parts and start using a gas additive that addresses ethonol related problems.

As a side note, I found and started using a new product, K100MG, that addresses ethonol. My local shop had several small containers of gaoline, water and different major brand of fuel additives. This product kept the water mixed while the others ALL separated. I've tried this in my boat (50 gallon tank, 1997) as there was some water (expected with the age/ethonol turning up in the filters). I can report the droplets are gone (suspended in the fuel to get burned off). The product is somewhat expensive but IMHO, well worth the $. I've been running it in my bikes on occassion in addition to Seafoam and Techtron.

In either case, for some interesting reading: http://www.k100fueltreatment.com/

2007 Yamaha FZ6

My post count doesn't change!
TownsendsFJR1300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links