KLR650.NET Forums - Your Kawasaki KLR650 Resource! - The Original KLR650 Forum!
Go Back   KLR650.NET Forums - Your Kawasaki KLR650 Resource! - The Original KLR650 Forum! > KLR250 & Super Sherpa, KLX > KLR250 Main Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
KLR250 Main Discussion Discussion & Maintenance

Old 12-07-2011, 12:13 PM   #1
Nastyman
A Regular

Super Cool Since: Jan 2010
Locale: Maine
Postings: 155
Nastyman is on a distinguished road
Default Overhaul Tune up

I've had my used bike for 2 years now. I want to give this thing a complete major tune up. What do I need to do???
Nastyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 12:22 PM   #2
Nastyman
A Regular

Default Re: Overhaul Tune up

oh yeah, it is a 2004 with a new chain, tires, sprockets and fork seals.
Sponsored links
Old 12-08-2011, 05:29 AM   #3
TownsendsFJR1300
KLR Enthusiast

Super Cool Since: May 2008
Locale: SW Florida
Postings: 1,285
TownsendsFJR1300 is on a distinguished road

New spark plug, oil and filter change.

There is an oil filter screen under the main side cover that picks up crap in the oil filtering system that wouldn't hurt to be cleaned. The screen is like a small cup but does require the removal of the main right side cover for access. I bought my 05 new, was never in the engine until I had to change out an impeller seal. That filter had some crap (not alot) in it from the factory...

Check and adjust the valves. Make sure, on the rotor access ports (left side cover), the "T" is dead on after the compression stroke before checking/adjusting valves.

I'd drain a little bit of fuel from the carb using the drain screw located on the bottum of the float bowl. Put a clean tuna fish can under there and try to catch what comes out so you have an idea how clean the fuel is. If its got crap in it, you may want to remove the on/off fuel valve in the gas tank(2 bolts). There should be a fine steel screen there that should / could be cleaned. (fuel will come out once the valve is removed so either empty the tank or have it partially full and tilt the tank on its right side...)

If you don't have a shop manual (base 600 manual and supplemental 250 manual) its worth the investment. I have them as a PDF file. PM me with an e-mail address if needed...

2007 Yamaha FZ6

My post count doesn't change!

Last edited by TownsendsFJR1300; 12-08-2011 at 05:30 AM.
TownsendsFJR1300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 10:52 AM   #4
Nastyman
A Regular

Thanks townsends, I have done a Valve adjustmet, oil and filter (not oil screen). I consider all that a yearly routine. I was thinking more along the lines of Lube cables, adjust clutch, pack wheel bearings?, Replace brakes (7k)?, Check clutch?, I did fork seals, or any of the other less routine stuff. That anyone can add to keep my bike in tip top shape. I am having difficulty adjusting the clutch lever so it catches closer to the handlebar. How long should clutches or brakes last?
Old 12-08-2011, 03:56 PM   #5
TownsendsFJR1300
KLR Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nastyman View Post
Thanks townsends, I have done a Valve adjustmet, oil and filter (not oil screen). I consider all that a yearly routine. I was thinking more along the lines of Lube cables, adjust clutch, pack wheel bearings?, Replace brakes (7k)?, Check clutch?, I did fork seals, or any of the other less routine stuff. That anyone can add to keep my bike in tip top shape. I am having difficulty adjusting the clutch lever so it catches closer to the handlebar. How long should clutches or brakes last?
Depending on where you ride, how you ride (thru mud holes vs street) weather condition's, etc it'll vary.

If the clutch itself isn't slipping it probably doesn't need replacing (I got 73,000 miles on my old 1989 250 with the original clutch, 28,000 on my old 2005 when I sold it).

As for lubing cables, I did the clutch fairly often with a pressure luber. When its clean and lubricated, its a bit easier to pull. When you feel it starting to stick, it's time.

The throttle cables don't need have as much attention as there's not as much tension, (do at least once a year).

Brake pads/shoes last depending again on how your riding. Just keep an eye on the ft pads, when they get close to steel, time to change out. I use the front brake mostly so I went thru ft pads more than rear shoes. I liked the OEM's as they weren't too aggressive on the rotors... (rear shoes, around 30,000 miles, front pads for me around 13-15,000 miles).

I believe (but not sure) the wheel bearings are sealed. I did have to replace the 3rd outer bearing that resides in the rear sprocket mount. It failed by wobbling just a slight bit (don't know why, I didn't strike anything) but I did notice the rear sprocket wobbling just a little bit.. A new bearing fixed the problem. I know I never repacked them if they are open.

A big upgrade I would strongly suggest is a SS front brake line. I put a "HEL" line on the front, helped alot with the stopping performance and not terrribly expensive...

As for the clutch release, you can loosen the cable adjuster to bring the lever in some, just make sure it is fully releasing when pulled in. I've found Suzuki's generally release very far out, Yamaha's about in the middle and the Kawasaki's from the middle to slightly further out in general, it's just in how their designed by the manufacturer..

As a side note, 99% of my riding was street, usually no faster than 60, 65 MPH. I have found that the left main crank bearing WILL FAIL EVERY 32,000 miles. I rebuilt my 1989 at 32,000 (cage actually came apart) and again at 64,000 miles, the bearing was starting to knock. My 05, I was changing out the cam chain at 28,000 miles and found the left crank bearing had approx .015" play (not good- fixing to fail soon). They have upgraded the bearing but IMHO, there's too much weight with the rotor on the left side for that bearing. I suspect too, the bike wasn't designed to go that many miles. I loved both bikes, but I ride alot and every 4 years to do a compleate tear down was getting to be a PIA. I have a
Yamaha FZ6 (600cc, inline 4, sitting upright) that's my daily driver now... 70MPG was nicer too than the 40MPG I'm getting now...

2007 Yamaha FZ6

Old 12-08-2011, 06:13 PM   #6
Nastyman
A Regular

Thanks! It sounds like I'm not too far off normal maintenance. I'm trying to save the $300 the local shop charges for a tune up. I did the stainless front cable and barely felt a difference with a normal bleed, so i did it again with a syringe from below and it did not change much. The rotor is grooved and is probably causing the problem. That or maybe the master cylinder needs rebuilding. The rear brakes ate terrible to and probably need cleaning. I'll see what i can do this winter. I do have the shop manuals, as I'm most likely the one you got yours from!
Thanks again.
Old 12-09-2011, 05:20 AM   #7
TownsendsFJR1300
KLR Enthusiast

Quote:
Thanks! It sounds like I'm not too far off normal maintenance. I'm trying to save the $300 the local shop charges for a tune up. I did the stainless front cable and barely felt a difference with a normal bleed, so i did it again with a syringe from below and it did not change much. The rotor is grooved and is probably causing the problem. That or maybe the master cylinder needs rebuilding. The rear brakes ate terrible to and probably need cleaning. I'll see what i can do this winter. I do have the shop manuals, as I'm most likely the one you got yours from!
Thanks again.
Yes, the rear brake does tend to collect dust and depending on how the previous owner treated it, who knows what else. BTW, you'lll have done much more than the shop would have for $300. Also, clean and grease any moving parts(brake pivots, kickstand and when your really bored, pull the pins on the rear suspension and throw some grease on the needle bearings. Thats way beyond a tune up but in time pays off.

BTW, when I installed the SS brake line, I also removed the caliper psiton and cleaned the innerds. I re-assembled with : http://www.amazon.com/Permatex-24110.../dp/B000HBNV6W

I've since and used a sliightly better brake grease: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0018PSASU

There was I'd guess a 40-50% better braking performance with the line, just make sure its bleed fully and the MC is working correctly..

Good luck

2007 Yamaha FZ6

Last edited by TownsendsFJR1300; 12-09-2011 at 05:27 AM.
Old 12-12-2011, 02:49 PM   #8
Nastyman
A Regular

Thanks! Where do I apply the brake lube? (insert snide comment here) Seriously though, where do I apply it?
Old 12-12-2011, 03:14 PM   #9
TownsendsFJR1300
KLR Enthusiast

Quote:
Thanks! Where do I apply the brake lube? (insert snide comment here) Seriously though, where do I apply it?
The brake lube is used when rebuilding the caliper itself. Once the body is clean and the piston spotless, apply some brake grease to the new seals (just enough to coat) prior to installation and a little bit to the piston (where the piston would contact the seals). Gently push the piston back into the caliper and wipe off any excess. You'll find re-assembling MUCH EASIER. The piston will also retract (with the brakes off) and have less drag on the pads and rotor.

My FJR and FZ6, it made a big difference as both bikes have 4 pistons on each caliper and 2 calipers up front.

If you bring the product spec's up, it'll show how and where its designed to be used as well. If you have a squeaky brake, a little grease on the back of the pad will eliminate that as well(I haven't had to use it for that)...

2007 Yamaha FZ6

Last edited by TownsendsFJR1300; 12-12-2011 at 03:16 PM.
Old 11-09-2012, 02:39 PM   #10
Skeefoo
Im Still Sober.
A Regular

Super Cool Since: Apr 2010
Locale: Panama Canal Zone
Postings: 222
Skeefoo is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Yearly routine?if you only ride a couple thousand miles per year.I do oil changes at about 1500-2000 miles Why?because its almost always hot here,and I ride a lot.My last set of
IRC tires lasted about 9,000 miles,I just installed a set of Pirelli MT 60s,I know I rack up the miles,but I hope this set of tires last as long,or more.I use up a lot of front brake pads,Ive learned to have a set on the ready,I hit metel to metal,and could have ruined a new 320mm rotor,so its a little insurance.Take a screw driver,and ding your spokes,if they thud instead of ding,tighten them a little,grease all areas,like steering,and axles,keep the mfg recomendation air pressure in your rubber.lube your cables,it makes them last longer.One thing Ive seemed good at was anticipating what to replace,or have a spare on hand.one day spent doing extensive maintenance will ensure your bike stays in good shape for years,get into a maintenance routine.Yes,I do baby my bike,and keep it fitted with new parts,but its my thing,my hobby,Peace and safe trails.
96 F150 ex-cab swb
Skeefoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links