KLR650.NET Forums - Your Kawasaki KLR650 Forums Resource! - The Original KLR650 Forum!

KLR650.NET Forums - Your Kawasaki KLR650 Forums Resource! - The Original KLR650 Forum! (https://www.klr650.net/forums/index.php)
-   Alberta (https://www.klr650.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=53)
-   -   "Project KLR" 2006 KLR 650 (https://www.klr650.net/forums/showthread.php?t=124153)

optimas1 12-16-2014 12:28 PM

"Project KLR" 2006 KLR 650

12 Attachment(s)
This a 06 KLR 650 that I paid $100.00 for 2 years ago. With a little time on the internet and the help of E bay I managed to find the parts to completely put it back together and over the course of rebuilding I also had done a number of Mods and upgrades. I've put 10,000 Km's on it and it runs like a top. I had some bugs to work out at first, but now it's a very reliable bike and a tone of fun.
I grew up riding a dirt bike with my Brother and Dad and then got into Sport bike riding for the last twenty years. After riding this KLR for one summer I sold my CBR 929rr with a 150 horse power the following fall. I got tired of looking like I was trying to hump a football and killing my neck on long trips.
Adventure riding is where its at, but let's keep it a secret. :clap::ride:
Each winter I continue to research and learn as much about the bike and see what others have done to make improvements. The KLR may not be the fastest bike on the pavement, but I've never had anyone pass me on the dirt and I don't have to worry about where the cops are hiding out. Riding a Dual Sport bike has sparked a whole new interest in riding bikes and planning trips for the upcoming summer. I'll post some pictures of "Project KLR" Dakar Edition. I still have plans for a few more upgrades, but for now I'm ready for next season. :nice:
Please feel free leave comments good or bad as I would like some feed back. If you see something on the bike that peaks your interest, please feel free to contact me and I'll be more then happy to get back to you.

Cheers, :cheers:
Scott

Merritt64 12-29-2014 07:22 PM

Re: "Project KLR" 2006 KLR 650

Nice job Scott! So including the purchase price, how much are you into the project if you don't mind me asking? You can tell me it's none of my business if you'd rather not say. Do you have any plans for a new seat or are you comfortable on the current one?

nearace 12-29-2014 07:50 PM

bike looks great,nice job.

Gallowbraid 12-29-2014 11:53 PM

Very nice!

optimas1 12-30-2014 07:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Merritt64 (Post 1355134)
Nice job Scott! So including the purchase price, how much are you into the project if you don't mind me asking? You can tell me it's none of my business if you'd rather not say. Do you have any plans for a new seat or are you comfortable on the current one?

Thanks for the comment, I paid about $2000 in total to get the bike on the road and that includes the engine. The engine that came with the bike was toast. The seat I have is cut down 2" and made with a gel pad and is super comfortable. I found a used engine that had less than 5000 KM's and I still have the broken engine. I plan to take the head off and bore it to 685 or the 705 not sure yet, still doing research. It been a ton of fun building this bike up and riding it and look forward to 2015 season.
Happy New Years to you and your loved ones! I live in Airdrie, so if your in the neighborhood give me a call 4033719523.
Cheers,