SiteLock
KLR650.NET Forums - Your Kawasaki KLR650 Forums Resource! - The Original KLR650 Forum! - View Single Post - TENT 2 moto camping solo - wich one? (minimum screened area)
View Single Post
Old 07-18-2017, 07:28 AM   #36
PittsDriver

Super Cool Since: Sep 2014
Locale: Annapolis MD
Postings: 720
PittsDriver is on a distinguished road
Default Re: TENT 2 moto camping solo - wich one? (minimum screened a

Quote:
Originally Posted by RT66KLR View Post

Just remember to keep the circus tent jokes to yourself....there may come a rainy day or night that you want to sit around a pannier, sip Jack and play poker.....the cover charge for non-believers is quite high.......
That's a great response that makes perfect sense. It's a trade off between the comfort of doing things in the tent (other than sleeping) and how light and small it is to carry around on gnarly trail rides. There's no right answer so we're really just talking about our own experiences and what's worked or not.

For example, one of my buddies upgraded his tent to the BA Copper Spur UL4 last year so that he had more room to move around and get dressed in it. It still packs up very light and takes up only a tiny bit more space than my UL2. This ultra-light stuff is made from alien or magical things. He's leaving that tent at home this year and bringing his UL3 because he found that it takes up too much space in a camp site. He felt it limited where he could site his tent and was concerned in a tight space, that it crowded the rest of us. That may not be much of a problem for some people depending on where (and with whom) they ride/camp.

Re: getting dressed - unless it's pouring rain, I just roll out and get dressed in front of God and everyone. If someone is offended by seeing me in my base layer slipping into my riding pants, then don't look

I can really see the advantage of a roomy tent if you are on the kind of ride where you might spend part of a day (or more) in your tent. That just hasn't been my/our style. We're usually on a long adv ride holding a kitchen pass that expires at some point so if we wake up and it's pouring rain, we still load up and hit the trail. We might lay there for an hour waiting to see if it'll slow, but then we're striking camp and kickstands up in short time.
'16 KTM 1290 R Super Duke (for my inner hooligan)
PittsDriver is offline   Reply With Quote