SiteLock
The Arivaca Outback Tech Day(s) - KLR650.NET Forums - Your Kawasaki KLR650 Forums Resource! - Original KLR650 Forum!
KLR650.NET Forums - Your Kawasaki KLR650 Forums Resource! - Original KLR650 Forum!
Go Back   KLR650.NET Forums - Your Kawasaki KLR650 Forums Resource! - Original KLR650 Forum! > Regional Events, Upcoming Rides & Tech Days > United States
> Southwest
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Hello, welcome back.

Old 12-27-2011, 11:56 AM   #1
ChuckieV
A Regular

Super Cool Since: Jan 2009
Locale: Colorado
Postings: 43
ChuckieV is on a distinguished road
Default The Arivaca Outback Tech Day(s)

Announcing the Arivaca Outback! (A series of tech/ride days on MLK Weekend: January 14th-16th)

Alaskasail (aka Andy) is hosting The Arivaca Outback down at his place near Arivaca, Arizona on the dates above. Mark your calendars and join us! We'll have a barbeque, plenty of sourdough pancakes, and plan to do things right: eat, drink, tinker, and ride.

The riding in the area is phenomenal (see more here: https://sites.google.com/site/arivacan/). Comprised primarily of old mining roads, fire-roads and Border Patrol paths, there is something for all levels of rider and plenty of nice pavement if you'd rather stick to the "twisties." There will be time not only to work on bikes, but also to hit the road or the trail: it's up to you.

Getting to Arivaca is easy. It is about an hour southwest of Tucson (see the map here or below) and Google Earth has the coordinates of Andy's driveway at:

31į 35' 29.08" N
111į 21' 19.31" W

His "bike garage" is an outdoor carport with ample room to work on multiple bikes at a time. This event is weather-dependent and will likely be "adjusted" if inclement conditions move in. We'll keep everyone posted here.

There's also ample room for RVs or tents on Andy's property (60 acres) for those who would like to spend the night(s). We'll have a fire going as well. A trailer that sits on the property can house a few riders and there's also some space in the main house. There are no local hotels, but sufficient lodging is available in Green Valley, 23 miles away, if you prefer to go that route.

Day 1: Saturday, January 14th:
Meet and greet at the local coffee shop at 9am or at Alaskasail's place at 10-ish to break out the wrenches and begin what work needs to be done. We expect to have doohickey tools, a few lifts, assorted other tools (please bring your own specialty tools and/or oil/fluids, if they're required), an air compressor, a small welder, torque wrenches, coolers, some barely edible food, and plenty of good laughs. For those not wrenching, there is plenty of territory to explore and we'll provide some maps and GPS fixes of places we've been. At days end the barbeque will be cranked up and the fire going so we can sit around compare notes, brag and share lies about our rides. Also, the local tavern is just up the street.

Day 2: Sunday, January 15th: More of the same, with a night out at the 'La Gitana' or in nearby Sasabe for those who are interested.

Day 3: Monday, January 16th:
We'll wind it up sometime midday, so we all have time to ride home before dark.

Please note: This has been posted in both the "Tech Day Announcements" section here on KLR650.net and in the "Southwest" section. All follow-ups will occur here in the "Southwest" section, to keep everything under one roof!

BANWRdirections-large.jpg

Sunday Ride (10).JPG

Longhorn.jpg

Techmasters.jpg
ChuckieV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 11:20 AM   #2
alaskasail
A Regular

Super Cool Since: Aug 2009
Locale: Arizona-Alaska....
Postings: 203
alaskasail is on a distinguished road
Default Re: The Arivaca Outback Tech Day(s)

SIGN-UP SHEET
Looks like good weather ahead and we're getting some interest in the "Arivaca Outback". To get an idea of how many people plan to come, Iím posting this sign-up sheet. You can add any information others might want to know like if you are bringing any tools, what days you plan to be there, if itís tentative or a for sureÖ. Etc.
It is understood that if the weather gets bad you may not come.
Itís not a big deal, but it would be good to know how many are in for the BBQ and sourdough pancakes.

Just "quote" this post with your name and info on the approriate day(s).

Jan 13th:
Andy Spear (Host; tools, lift, air compressor, etc)
Name (notes; what he or she can bring, etc)

January 14th:
Andy Spear
Chuckie V (lift, assorted tools, KLR!, cooler, small truck/trailer)
Tony
Rick G (bringing the Honda)

January 15th:
Andy Spear
Chuckie V (lift, assorted tools, cooler, small truck/trailer)

January 16th:
Andy Spear
Old 01-03-2012, 08:06 PM   #3
WarpeD

Super Cool Since: Sep 2011
Locale: Tucson, AZ
Postings: 291
WarpeD is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by alaskasail View Post
SIGN-UP SHEET
Looks like good weather ahead and we're getting some interest in the "Arivaca Outback". To get an idea of how many people plan to come, Iím posting this sign-up sheet. You can add any information others might want to know like if you are bringing any tools, what days you plan to be there, if itís tentative or a for sureÖ. Etc.
It is understood that if the weather gets bad you may not come.
Itís not a big deal, but it would be good to know how many are in for the BBQ and sourdough pancakes.

Jan 13th:

January 14th:
Andy Spear
Tony
Rick G (bringing the Honda)
Steve

January 15th:
Andy Spear

January 16th:
Andy Spear
Added yours truly.
Old 01-03-2012, 10:56 PM   #4
RoadDirt
Occasional Poster

Super Cool Since: Jan 2012
Locale: Arizona
Postings: 4
RoadDirt is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarpeD View Post
Added yours truly.
I'm in... RoadDirt
RoadDirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 10:07 AM   #5
alaskasail
A Regular

Can someone bring a properly calibrated tire pressure gauge? I have several here and they all seem to read differently. With that skinny little front tire on the KLR a pound or two can prove to be signification.

This brings up a question for another thread or something to talk about at the meet, but Tire pressures for different tires, conditions and from the manual have me a little confused. I understand the basics, but the manual and the tires have way different values.
Old 01-04-2012, 10:29 AM   #6
alaskasail
A Regular

SIGN-UP SHEET
We've had some considerable interest in this get together, but it is difficult for some to make the commitment. Weather, work, and wives are the main variables, but I hope as many can come as possible. If you are 75% sure you can make it on any one day, sign up and we'll take care of the rest.

NOTES:
  • If you screw up your bike completely and can't ride home, we have two trucks here and can haul you home or you can leave it here securely.
  • Every rider I've taken "Outback Arivaca" has returned for more.
  • I just upped my home owners liability insurance.

Jan 13th:
Pima County Emergency Preparedness Team

January 14th:
Andy Spear ( tools, lift, air compressor, etc)
Tony V (Has tools)
Rick G (bringing the Honda and KTM, tools)

January 15th:
Andy Spear
Rick G - multiple bikes, tools, stories
Tony V
Ricardo and friends (maybe) KLR650

January 16th:
Andy Spear
Rich G
Tony
Ricardo and friends (maybe) KLR650

January 17th
EPA Hazardous Waste Disposal Unit.
Pima County Sheriffs Department.
Coyotes, buzzards and other scavengers.
Old 01-08-2012, 05:55 PM   #7
BBGS

Locale: Tucson, AZ/ Castle Rock, CO
Postings: 330
BBGS is on a distinguished road

Andy,
I'm trying my best to get to the tech day. I have a pretty good shot this time and I will be trailering down. I have room for one more bike. My 6 foot grill is available if you want be to bring it and if it's ok I would like to bring my 10 year old boy.
We will be staying in my trailer.
Old 01-11-2012, 11:49 AM   #8
Klrian
On Vacation! :)
A Regular

Super Cool Since: Sep 2010
Locale: Crowsnest Pass, Alberta
Postings: 53
Klrian is on a distinguished road

I am planning on attending. I don't have any work to do on my bike (I hope) but would be happy to help if needed. I can bring doo tools if you need them. Coming from Gold Canyon on Friday and plan on tenting if that is okay. Look forward to meeting other KLR riders.

Ian
Klrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 03:12 PM   #9
alaskasail
A Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76xt500 View Post
I am planning on attending. I don't have any work to do on my bike (I hope) but would be happy to help if needed. I can bring doo tools if you need them. Coming from Gold Canyon on Friday and plan on tenting if that is okay. Look forward to meeting other KLR riders.

Ian
Ian:
Glad you're coming. I think the majority of "attendees" are in the same category. This area is sort of being rediscovered, so there will be a fair amount of exploring. My place will act as the base and a spot for us to meet each other and swap stories, knowledge and ideas.

For me, I'd like to talk about:

What are the essential tools: short and long trips?

Good gear to have: What works what doesn't.

Essential modifications: Farqs and safety.

Good Adventure trips: Around here and long ones.

I have a bunch of maps and other materials here, but if you have marked up ones of good rides, bring them and or anything else you think other riders might be interested in.

We're at 4000 feet here so it's going to be a little colder... especially at night so bring the woolies.

-A
Old 01-12-2012, 05:44 AM   #10
BBGS

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76xt500 View Post

Ian
Ian,

Looks like I'll be camping with my boy Saturday .im driving the car. Hope I can find this place. I may stay in tucson if it's too cold. Your welcome too. What day are you going down?

Looking forward to it Andy

See ya.
Old 01-12-2012, 10:33 AM   #11
alaskasail
A Regular

SIGN-UP SHEET - Update

I have no idea of how many will show up Saturday, but It's looking like we'll have six (6) over-nighters in Arivaca Saturday night. There are a lot of "maybes" and "I might bring a friend"s out there, so we'll just go with the flow.

The weather is holding with partly to mostly cloudy in the upper 60s. It will be cooler here, but other than the physiological effects, shouldn't matter much to us. We see a zillion motorcycles up here every weekend (few get past the coffee shop and the bar), but if there is a cloud in the sky, the numbers drop precipitously. I expect we'll have the outback mostly to ourselves.

So far, I think we can put everyone under a roof.... maybe even heated. Food is coming along. I lit up the sourdough, marinating and brining meat and whipping up a few gallons of salsa. Drinks are up to you. We have a mercantile here so supplies are close.

All-in-all everything is looking peachy and we are looking forward to a good turnout and some great riding.
Old 01-12-2012, 10:58 AM   #12
alaskasail
A Regular

I forgot to add that one purpose of this "meet" is to map out and evaluate the riding here in the Arivaca area. I've found that some roads are just trails now and some trails have been graded into roads. It would be helpful to "rate" these.

If you go to Google Earth/Maps, you will find that the imagery has been updated to July of 2011 and is now *very* detailed. Comparing the new imagery to the old is and interesting exercise since much has changed, but reveal a lot of roads to explore.

I have some maps of the area and a computer we can use to catalog some rides for future use. So.... bring your GPS and a camera.
Old 01-13-2012, 03:34 PM   #13
jsonder
Occasional Poster

Super Cool Since: Nov 2005
Locale: southern AZ
Postings: 2
jsonder is on a distinguished road

Andy:

I can wander down Saturday or Sunday with the full off-road tool kit. Which day would you rather have me down on the wee 223 cc bike? Or should I ride the NX250?
jsonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 08:19 AM   #14
alaskasail
A Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsonder View Post
Andy:

I can wander down Saturday or Sunday with the full off-road tool kit. Which day would you rather have me down on the wee 223 cc bike? Or should I ride the NX250?

It's Saturday morning and it looks like it's going to be a great day. You are welcome any time with any bike. If you want to spend the night.... or have to, I've got lots of bedding.

We've already started by killing my internet connection with an air compressor to work on Rich's Honda! We didn't figure it out until this morning and after a night at the La Gitana.
Old 01-14-2012, 08:38 AM   #15
DesertDweller
A Regular

Super Cool Since: May 2008
Locale: Kingman, Arizona
Postings: 91
DesertDweller is on a distinguished road

Quote:
It's Saturday morning and it looks like it's going to be a great day. You are welcome any time with any bike. If you want to spend the night.... or have to, I've got lots of bedding.

We've already started by killing my internet connection with an air compressor to work on Rich's Honda! We didn't figure it out until this morning and after a night at the La Gitana.

Hey Andy,

I am going to show up on Sunday and would like to join in on the riding. What time is a good time to bve there?
Old 01-14-2012, 08:50 AM   #16
alaskasail
A Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertDweller View Post
Hey Andy,

I am going to show up on Sunday and would like to join in on the riding. What time is a good time to bve there?
Depending on what happens tonight we'll be having breakfast until 10 is my guess. I'm thinking that there will be folks coming and going all day, but I'd definitely be here before noon.
Old 01-14-2012, 01:22 PM   #17
DesertDweller
A Regular

Super Cool Since: May 2008
Locale: Kingman, Arizona
Postings: 91
DesertDweller is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Depending on what happens tonight we'll be having breakfast until 10 is my guess. I'm thinking that there will be folks coming and going all day, but I'd definitely be here before noon.
I will show up at your place I gues.
Old 01-14-2012, 11:41 PM   #18
jsonder
Occasional Poster

Super Cool Since: Nov 2005
Locale: southern AZ
Postings: 2
jsonder is on a distinguished road

A couple of pictures from the 14th:

Ian and Andy in shades of red and Richard is in my mirror.

jsonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 02:47 AM   #19
BBGS

Andy,

Thanks for hosting a great event . Sam learned alot about the big kids and there toys.
We made it back mid afternoon to Mesa in the LC cage.

Thanks for great food, fun ride day, stories, etc.
I hope to see all of you down there soon or up here in East Phx.

I'll be sending you some photos of the trip.

Thanks again.
Old 01-17-2012, 10:59 AM   #20
ChuckieV
A Regular

Super Cool Since: Jan 2009
Locale: Colorado
Postings: 43
ChuckieV is on a distinguished road

I didn't take many, but here are some pictures from the weekend. That's the Mexican border fence in one of them. Recycled railroad ties! Thanks for a great time Andy and thanks Tony for getting my Generation 1 to purr!

DSCN0012.jpg

DSCN9994.jpg

DSCN0029.jpg

DSCN0047.jpg

DSCN0042.jpg

DSCN0045.jpg

DSCN9973.jpg

DSCN9980.jpg
ChuckieV is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links

Tags
arivaca, days, outback, tech