SiteLock
Austin doo date - Page 9 - KLR650.NET Forums - Your Kawasaki KLR650 Forums Resource! - Original KLR650 Forum!
KLR650.NET Forums - Your Kawasaki KLR650 Forums Resource! - Original KLR650 Forum!
Go Back   KLR650.NET Forums - Your Kawasaki KLR650 Forums Resource! - Original KLR650 Forum! > Regional Events, Upcoming Rides & Tech Days > United States
> Texas Forums > Central Texas
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Hello, welcome back.

Old 01-21-2012, 11:04 AM   #161
Mechanician
KLR Enthusiast

Super Cool Since: Mar 2008
Locale: Austin, TX
Postings: 842
Mechanician is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Austin doo date

Still around... worked on a buddy's bike the other day. Organizing the garage to make room for my wife's car so I can finally get an engine built for it. For some reason she doesn't like driving around in my old Dodge pickup. I've been working regular hours and then some. Usually cold, dark and damp in the mornings and then dark and cold again for the trip home. I've taken a few rides on weekends and braved the lower temps on occasion but have enjoyed the heater and the stereo in the van. I'm working on a couple rifles for customers today. I also need to format a hard drive and install software on my wife's laptop... all while shifting everything in the garage 3 feet to the left.

Good luck on the crash bar install. Let us know how they went on.

Mech
Mechanician is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 01:19 PM   #162
Kaiser
A Regular

Super Cool Since: Aug 2011
Locale: Austin
Postings: 132
Kaiser is on a distinguished road

Oh, if i didnt say this before, the tolerances on crash bars aren't great. Put all the bolts in really loose before tightening any of them down
Kaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 09:09 PM   #163
FortyNiner
A Regular

Locale: Spicewood
Postings: 92
FortyNiner is on a distinguished road

The fit of the SW Motech's (the new style) was perfect. Only problem was that the supplied spacers (washers) for the front lower brackets were too large in diameter. I used some different size washers to get the brackets properly spaced.

I also did the sub-frame bolting upgrades. I drilled the frame for the through bolt I bought from EagleMike. That went better than I expected. I was worried that I may have a problem drilling the solid steel frame with my cordless drill. But, it worked fine.

New tires should arrive next week...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiser View Post
Oh, if i didnt say this before, the tolerances on crash bars aren't great. Put all the bolts in really loose before tightening any of them down
FortyNiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 10:50 AM   #164
Mechanician
KLR Enthusiast

Alright, dammit.

I just bought a LEXX muffler to replace my continuously exploding FMF. I noticed that the LEXX is about the same build as the FMF.... 'cept it has twice the number of screws around the perimeter of the cap. Good stuff.

Now.

Who knows of a good shop in central Tejas to do the big bore work for me?

Mech
Old 02-20-2012, 11:12 AM   #165
Kaiser
A Regular

Dunno, maybe check some sports car forums and see who they are using. I should have sent my Xterra heads in for work when I had them off over the holidays but i didn't know where to go and didn't want to spend much money so I just cleaned off the old gaskets and slapped 'em back on.
Old 02-20-2012, 01:23 PM   #166
FortyNiner
A Regular

Locale: Spicewood
Postings: 92
FortyNiner is on a distinguished road

Well, I also don't know of a machine shop to bore the cylinder. Lot of help, eh?
But, I would like to see the engine when you have it apart. I watched Kaiser do the doohicky on his and went home and did mine the next week.

Lead the way, Mechanician!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechanician View Post
Alright, dammit.

I just bought a LEXX muffler to replace my continuously exploding FMF. I noticed that the LEXX is about the same build as the FMF.... 'cept it has twice the number of screws around the perimeter of the cap. Good stuff.

Now.

Who knows of a good shop in central Tejas to do the big bore work for me?

Mech
FortyNiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 01:57 PM   #167
Mechanician
KLR Enthusiast

Huh... interesting. I suppose we could have a gathering of the disassemblers. I've got no room in my garage at the moment for entertaining. Not even enough room to entertain a thought.

Maybe another tech day gathering somewhere?

3rd time's a charm. I may actually pick up a tool this time.

Mech
Whoz tires are sporting flat top hair cutz. Will get new shoes on order. Now to cut the front spokes down an inch, extend the threads and lace up that 19" for the front.
Old 05-30-2012, 08:57 PM   #168
HutchPhoto
Let's Ride!

Super Cool Since: Apr 2012
Locale: Taylor, Texas
Postings: 160
HutchPhoto is on a distinguished road

I had to wake this great thread up!! LoL

I just bought a 2012 KLR 650 and one of these days I want to do the doo & t-bob mods.

Just checking in with you guys! I live in Taylor and would like to ride some routes with y'all sometime !

Tim

Stable:
2012 KLR 650~Blk
2012 C14 Concours~Blk
2001 KLR 650~Silver/Grn 112 miles
2012 Suzuki Boulevard S40
HutchPhoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 09:22 PM   #169
Kaiser
A Regular

hello!!!
Old 05-31-2012, 04:31 AM   #170
Philologus

Super Cool Since: Apr 2011
Locale: Texas
Postings: 10
Philologus is on a distinguished road

I have all the parts and was going to try and get together last summer, but my daughters house got in the way. My KLR left me puttering home at 15mph the other day with either a clogged high speed jet or a bad shut off valve. I was so mad at it I have not touched it since. When would you want to get together? I live in College Station (no jokes, please!), and I need to get/make the tool for the doo. Let me know when you are available. I work 7on-7off. Just started my 7 on, so would be available next thursday thru following wednesday. Glad you opened the thread back up! I have been putting this off too long.
Philologus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 08:23 AM   #171
Kaiser
A Regular

Somebody's going to have to explain why the thermobob makes sense to me... looks like the point is to RAISE the engine temp?!? I already have problems with the gas boiling in the tank and I worry about how high the needle on my temp gauge goes.

I might be down for a trip out to B/CS at some point - I miss that area.
Old 05-31-2012, 04:19 PM   #172
DJD2008
A Regular

Super Cool Since: May 2011
Postings: 27
DJD2008 is on a distinguished road

We should all get together for some riding one of these days, folks. Any known cool day routes with nice pit stops along the way? Suggestions welcome.

Recently resprocketed to 16T front and 42T rear and methinks it's the magic combo for my metropolitan commute habits. Nice rpm on I-35 (4800 @ 80mph) and stop and go is easier from first gear alone.

Highly recommended.

Daniel
DJD2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 07:16 PM   #173
HutchPhoto
Let's Ride!

Hmmmm what/where is B/CS?

80mph on a KLR? Me thinks your Nucking Futz.
JK that would be cool...!

Tim

Stable:
2012 KLR 650~Blk
2012 C14 Concours~Blk
Old 05-31-2012, 07:57 PM   #174
Kaiser
A Regular

Well, from my place in NW Austin you can't go wrong taking lime creek road (best windy road in Austin that I know of) up to 1431 and out to Lake Buchanan. That might not be a long enough trip for ya - but it's beautiful, and you could always add on from there.

That's all tarmac - I don't know any dirt roads or offroad stuff.

Hutch - B/CS is Bryan/College Station.

I don't think my bike would go anywhere with a 16T and my fat a$$ on it. It was a bit breezy last weekend and I was going up a mild hill at wide-open throttle at 60mph for about 20 seconds... did not accelerate one bit.

Last edited by Kaiser; 05-31-2012 at 07:59 PM.
Old 05-31-2012, 08:32 PM   #175
HutchPhoto
Let's Ride!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiser View Post
Well, from my place in NW Austin you can't go wrong taking lime creek road (best windy road in Austin that I know of) up to 1431 and out to Lake Buchanan. That might not be a long enough trip for ya - but it's beautiful, and you could always add on from there.

That's all tarmac - I don't know any dirt roads or offroad stuff.

Hutch - B/CS is Bryan/College Station.

I don't think my bike would go anywhere with a 16T and my fat a$$ on it. It was a bit breezy last weekend and I was going up a mild hill at wide-open throttle at 60mph for about 20 seconds... did not accelerate one bit.
I'm up for any route! Could always make a hwy 29 ride to llano for BBQ at coopers?? My nephew would meet us there he's from Sonora and has a KLR just like mine..well he got his first!

I've met a few guys from B/CS that would meet up with us I'm sure!

Tim

Stable:
2012 KLR 650~Blk
2012 C14 Concours~Blk
Old 05-31-2012, 08:37 PM   #176
HutchPhoto
Let's Ride!

Ok I see 1431 goes all the way to 29 ! Yes that would be awesome!

Tim

Stable:
2012 KLR 650~Blk
2012 C14 Concours~Blk
Old 05-31-2012, 09:12 PM   #177
DJD2008
A Regular

Haha... 80mph is fun and smooth sailing! ...And the left lane is the only place to be for my peace of mind.

OK, a friend of mine was telling me about Lime Creek Rd. That's two recommendations so far. I guess I better do it!

What day of the week works for everyone? Sunday seems to be the riding day for Austin-ites.

Daniel
Old 05-31-2012, 09:12 PM   #178
Mechanician
KLR Enthusiast

Talking Re: Austin doo date

The t-bob is for regulating and maintaining steady/even operating temp in colder weather. Does nuthin' in the summer. The KLR engine is a beautiful engine. Especially for a tractor. It is dang near bullet-proof (if it doesn't grenade itself) and will take a lot of neglect and punishment. It tolerates low oil levels, poor maintenance schedules and outright physical abuse. I believe it handles near freezing cooling inlet temp at the head well enough to not warp the head or jug on cold commutes when the temp sensor finally tells the single thermostat to dump. Radiator bypass is a known benefit utilized by vehicle manufacturers worldwide. Just another cost savings omission by KHI, Ltd.

I'm down for a ride. I'm set up with stock gearing and street shoes right now and sustain redline for continuous 90mph blasts.

If'n y'all are looking to dirt I'll need to wrap up the spare wheel set with knobbs.

Mech
Don't ride behind me. It smells of oil and may be slick.
Old 05-31-2012, 09:59 PM   #179
big_papa_nuts
A Regular

Super Cool Since: Mar 2011
Postings: 95
big_papa_nuts is on a distinguished road

I'd definitely be down for a ride. I've been off the bike for a bit since I got popped for not having my papers. All legal now, and even used the break to overhaul the carb. Should be in good running shape so let me know when we doin this thing.
big_papa_nuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 11:41 AM   #180
DJD2008
A Regular

Tuesdays or Wednesdays good for anyone? Let's mark the calendar first.

By sheer coincidence, I was scouting locations for a film on Lime Creek Rd. the other day. Fun! Not really KLR-friendly in my opinion (TIGHT cornering that would be more comfortable on something lower to the ground/wider tires), but still fun. 1431 going up to Marble Falls is quite a roller coaster, too, and doesn't require 10 mph turns.

Anyone ever done the dirt motorcycle trails at Emma Long? Drove past them and wondered....

Tags
austin, date, doo