SiteLock
COLORADO - Dualsporting the San Juans! - Page 4 - KLR650.NET Forums - Your Kawasaki KLR650 Forums Resource! - The Original KLR650 Forum!
KLR650.NET Forums - Your Kawasaki KLR650 Forums Resource! - The Original KLR650 Forum!
Go Back   KLR650.NET Forums - Your Kawasaki KLR650 Forums Resource! - The Original KLR650 Forum! > Regional Events, Upcoming Rides & Tech Days > United States
> Southeast
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Southeast Home of Tour de Tellico, Tour de Pisgah, Tour de LBL

Old 01-12-2017, 12:13 PM   #61
klaviator

Super Cool Since: Sep 2008
Locale: Huntsville, AL
Postings: 741
klaviator is on a distinguished road
Default Re: COLORADO - Dualsporting the San Juans!

This looks real interesting. It's a long shot for me but I'll keep it in mind.

I went through Silverton in June of 2015. What a beautiful area! I was on a street bike but thinking I need to come back sometime on a dualsport.

klaviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 03:11 PM   #62
cherokee_chuck
KLR Enthusiast

Super Cool Since: Oct 2006
Locale: Cleveland, TN
Postings: 2,438
cherokee_chuck is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by klaviator View Post
This looks real interesting. It's a long shot for me but I'll keep it in mind.

I went through Silverton in June of 2015. What a beautiful area! I was on a street bike but thinking I need to come back sometime on a dualsport.
The street is very nice.......but all the sights to see and riding to do on the DS bikes will blow you away!

Keep Loving Rides!
cherokee_chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 05:03 PM   #63
Dougie Fresh
A Regular

Super Cool Since: Jun 2008
Locale: Cleveland Tennessee
Postings: 26
Dougie Fresh is on a distinguished road

[quote=cherokee_chuck;1442685]I had a strong suspicion you guys were in! May be a bunch of old retired farts, some single dudes, and a handful of us married, working guys still with a mortgage....HA!

If you cannot find anyone to transport out west with, give a shout on this thread.......we can hopefully help you find a group to go with.

OLD FART HERE!! LOL..Well as Chuck knows Annie and I are out at one of the National Parks every summer working. Grand Teton N.P. was last years home. We spent a week in Durango Co. and loved it!! This year though we may have to stay home and tend to Mother (97)... But I could put my KLR in the back or pull a trailer and go. I have a F-250 crew cab, so I could carry a few passengers. BUT...I am a retired old fart that sleeps in motels at night and will not have the V-10 at light speed for a 28 hour run. So put Ole Dougie down as a go and I will see how the year goes. Would be a fun trip but really I would make it into a 2 week trip for me...Why hurry???
Old 03-23-2017, 06:00 PM   #64
MATT650

Super Cool Since: Apr 2010
Locale: Jackson, MS
Postings: 17
MATT650 is on a distinguished road

Hello all, I'm going to do my best to attend this ride. What does the campsite (tent) situation look like? If I read correctly, it looks like there may be some already reserved but open?
MATT650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 08:49 PM   #65
shakeyjake18
A Regular

Super Cool Since: Jul 2016
Locale: Murrayville Ga
Postings: 86
shakeyjake18 is on a distinguished road

Matt, the camground we are staying at doesn't open until Memorial Day weekend. I would give them a call as soon as they open. I bet they will have some room from what I can tell.

Chuck, Tube8520 JaggerSnitt and myself got together today for lunch and was discussing the trip. What would you think about all who can, try and get together sometime in April or May and discuss logistics, reservations, spare parts and things such as that? I know we are all spread out some of us many hours away from the other. I think we might could get a small portion of the group together with a little planning.

Last edited by shakeyjake18; 03-24-2017 at 08:52 PM.
shakeyjake18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017, 04:19 AM   #66
dualindalton
KLR Enthusiast

Super Cool Since: Jul 2008
Locale: North Ga..slightly toward the west
Postings: 1,097
dualindalton is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MATT650 View Post
Hello all, I'm going to do my best to attend this ride. What does the campsite (tent) situation look like? If I read correctly, it looks like there may be some already reserved but open?
Matt, Red Mountain still had small cabins available when I reserved mine in January. If that's what you want for accommodations you may want to reserve one ASAP. As far as tent camping, I'm not sure if reservations are needed or not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shakeyjake18 View Post
What would you think about all who can, try and get together sometime in April or May and discuss logistics, reservations, spare parts and things such as that? I know we are all spread out some of us many hours away from the other. I think we might could get a small portion of the group together with a little planning.
Dean, set up a place and time for the get together. I'll be there.

The World Went And Got Itself In A Big Damn Hurry~Brooks Hatlen~
dualindalton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 08:46 AM   #67
cherokee_chuck
KLR Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by shakeyjake18 View Post
Matt, the camground we are staying at doesn't open until Memorial Day weekend. I would give them a call as soon as they open. I bet they will have some room from what I can tell.

Chuck, Tube8520 JaggerSnitt and myself got together today for lunch and was discussing the trip. What would you think about all who can, try and get together sometime in April or May and discuss logistics, reservations, spare parts and things such as that? I know we are all spread out some of us many hours away from the other. I think we might could get a small portion of the group together with a little planning.
Yes.....I believe each group should be getting together over April/May to discuss their travel plans, etc. I have updates I need to do to the list....add Matt and a couple of others.

Keep Loving Rides!
Old 03-27-2017, 10:32 AM   #68
jagger_snitt
A Regular

Super Cool Since: Nov 2011
Locale: Cleveland,Tn
Postings: 117
jagger_snitt is on a distinguished road

This sounds like a plan, you know you've done a good job when your wife says "Remember we have to Budget for your Colorado Trip."

I'm In!!!!! Haha

I think it would be really beneficial for us to meet in April and ride then plan the ride over a good meal!
08'KLR685-FMF Power Bomb Header,Center stand,KLR Dash,ZG Double Bubble Windshield,Amazon H7 LEDs High/Low Beam ,HT LED Tail Light,LED Dash Bulbs,air hawk 2 Mod Seat Pad/Corbin Low Seat(hate this thing),Wolfman Tank Bag,,Ebay Footpegs,Amazon LED Blinkers!05 YZ250 Inverted Forks,Tusk Oversized Front Brake Rotor.https://www.sopro.bz/Home.html ,FAT GUY IN A LITTLE JACKET MOD
jagger_snitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 12:11 AM   #69
1983c10
A Regular

Super Cool Since: Sep 2014
Locale: Jefferson GA
Postings: 20
1983c10 is on a distinguished road

Lol I know the feeling Spencer. My wife has been telling me the same thing. Just a when and where in April
1983c10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 08:49 AM   #70
MATT650

Super Cool Since: Apr 2010
Locale: Jackson, MS
Postings: 17
MATT650 is on a distinguished road

I reserved a tent campsite at Silverton Lakes. $28 a night for 2 people per campsite, but I'm currently the only one. The campground owner didn't mention the rate for additional campers and I failed to ask.

Dean - which campground are y'all staying at?

Also, I'll check out Red Mountain.
MATT650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 10:23 AM   #71
shakeyjake18
A Regular

Super Cool Since: Jul 2016
Locale: Murrayville Ga
Postings: 86
shakeyjake18 is on a distinguished road

We have a cabin reserved at Silverton Lakes, that's where the majority of us are staying I do believe.
shakeyjake18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 11:20 AM   #72
cherokee_chuck
KLR Enthusiast

Matt.......sorry, I meant to get back with you. I did call the folks at Silverton Lakes. The prices for tents went up from $25 a sight to $28 a sight. We were paying $12.50/person, but due to the rate increase, we are now at $14/person/night. At the moment, the group has 4 cabins rented and 3 tent sites (not including yours). The owner is letting us have the area close to a pavilion with tables. Also, we can put more than 2 people in a site.......but we still pay the $14. Hold on to that site, and as we get closer, we will see if we need it. You can cancel within a month of our dates and you not be charged.

Keep Loving Rides!
Old 04-13-2017, 06:51 PM   #73
cherokee_chuck
KLR Enthusiast

I have made the updates to the list! Please verify if all is correct.

For the most part, we are staying at Silverton Lake Campground. The cabins are full, but there are tent sites going for $14/person (up from last year's rate of $12.50). I have a cabin, but will keep a tent reservation for any latecomers. If you are considering pretty strongly about gathering a group together, give the folks at Silverton Lake Campground a call and reserve a RV site or tent site. Other locations (Red Mountaing, etc) in Silverton are nice as well.

If you cannot find anyone to transport out west with, give a shout on this thread.......we can hopefully help you find a group to go with.

If you have a good feeling you can go on this trip, let's hear you!

Rider..........................Steed............Ti me of Stay................Digs........Transport Group

cherokee_chuck..........KLX650R......Sun30(pm)-Sun6(am) .......Cabin-SL............A (Cleveland, TN)
jagger_snitt.................KLR650......Sun30(pm)-Sun6(am)........Cabin-SL............A (Cleveland, TN)
Stewbo.......................KLR650......Sun30(pm)-Sun6(am)........Cabin-SL............A (Cleveland, TN)
tube8520.....................KLX300......Sun30(pm)-Sun6(am)........Cabin-SL............B (Dalton, GA)
JohnRandall..................KLR650......Sun30(pm)-Sun6(am)........Cabin-SL...........B (Dalton, GA)
Shakeyjake18...............KLR650......Sun30(pm)-Sun6(am)........Cabin-SL...........B (Dalton, GA)
dualindalton.................DRZ400......Sun30(pm)-Sun6(am)........Cabin-RM..........B (Dalton, GA)
Marbleminer.................DRZ400......Sun30(pm)-Sun6(am).......Cabin-RM...........B (Dalton, GA)
JoeGurley....................KTM525......Sun30(pm)-Sun6(am)........Cabin-RM..........B (Cleveland, TN)
Ridir Frith....................DR650....2 weeks around these dates....Cabin-RM..........C (Hendersonville, NC with wife)
BamaDirtPilot...............KLR650...2 weeks around these dates.....house...........D(Birmingham, AL with wife)
tman...........................KLR650.......Sun30( pm)-Sat5(am).............SL.............E(Brevard, NC)
Mdrake........................KLX250.......Sun30(p m)-Sat5(am).............SL.............E(Brevard, NC)
Will.............................DR650.........Sun 30(pm)-Sat5(am).............SL.............E(Brevard, NC)
kentuckyklr..................Husky450.....Sun30(pm )-Sat5(am).............SL.............E(Brevard,NC)
yotaman423................DRZ400......Sun30(pm)-Sun6(am).......Cabin-SL..........F (Cleveland, TN)
Weston420..................GS800.......Sun30(pm)-Sun6(am).......Cabin-SL..........F (Cleveland, TN)
Jled71........................CRF450......Sun30(pm )-Sun6(am).......Cabin-SL..........F (Cleveland, TN)
shall1973....................XR650L......Sun30(pm)-Sun6(am).......Cabin-SL..........F (Cleveland, TN)
skhumba23.................KLR650.......Sun30(pm)-Sun6(am).......Cabin_SL.........H (Atlanta, GA)
pvaneerten.................KLR650.......Sun30(pm)-Sun6(am).......Cabin_SL.........H (Atlanta, GA)
1983c10......................KLR650.......Sun30(pm )-Sun6(am)..........SL..............I (Atlanta, GA with family)
johnboync...................DRZ400......Sun30(pm)-Sat5(am)...........SL...............J (Ashville, NC)
MATT650.....................DR650........Sun30(pm)-Sat5(am)...........SL...............J (Ashville, NC)
newmanv....................KLR650.......Sun30(pm)-Sun6(am)........house.............K (Athens, TN)
son of newmanv...........KLR650.......Sun30(pm)-Sun6(am)........house.............K (Athens, TN)
sarguy........................KLR650.......Sun30(p m)-Sat5(am)...........?.................L (Reno, NV)
horsepoor...........KLR650/KTM1290...Sun30(pm)-Sun6(am)..........?.................M (West Palm Beach, FL)

Silverton Lakes Campground
Red Mountain

Keep Loving Rides!

Last edited by cherokee_chuck; 04-13-2017 at 06:56 PM.
Old 06-05-2017, 01:23 PM   #74
ridir firth
Occasional Poster

Super Cool Since: Jun 2017
Locale: dana, NC
Postings: 1
ridir firth is on a distinguished road

OK, leave slip submitted!
Time to do some work on the bike!!!
We had a BLAST in '11
NO WIFE IN TOW!!!!!

Last edited by ridir firth; 06-05-2017 at 01:25 PM.
ridir firth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 06:47 AM   #75
cherokee_chuck
KLR Enthusiast

Wow.....less than 8 weeks till we meet in Silverton! Please check the list below for any problems. If you haven't done it already, and are in a good size group, get some communication going with your members. Talk about spare parts sharing.....food plans.....double check your sleeping arrangements....all that jazz and more. In 2011, we were fortunate enough to have very little rain, though it wasn't terribly dry/dusty. Be prepared riding gear wise for anything, though. Also.......and probably most important...........get your bike ready NOW! There is a fine dealership in Durango, but you want to have the bike ready as much as possible before we go. My KLX just this past weekend wasted a rear hub bearing. Very glad it happened now. If you have parts like that in an old bike that hasn't been changed in a while, you may want to do some 'preventative maintenance'!

For the most part, we are staying at Silverton Lake Campground. The cabins are full, but there are tent sites going for $14/person (up from last year's rate of $12.50). I have a cabin, but will keep a tent reservation for any latecomers. If you are considering pretty strongly about gathering a group together, give the folks at Silverton Lake Campground a call and reserve a RV site or tent site. Other locations (Red Mountaing, etc) in Silverton are nice as well.

Rider..........................Steed............Ti me of Stay................Digs........Transport Group

cherokee_chuck..........KLX650R......Sun30(pm)-Sun6(am) .......Cabin-SL............A (Cleveland, TN)
jagger_snitt.................KLR650......Sun30(pm)-Sun6(am)........Cabin-SL............A (Cleveland, TN)
Stewbo.......................KLR650......Sun30(pm)-Sun6(am)........Cabin-SL............A (Cleveland, TN)
Ridir Frith....................DR650.......Sun30(pm)-Sun6(am)........Cabin-SL............A (Cleveland, TN)
Jled71........................CRF450......Sun30(pm )-Sun6(am).......Cabin-SL.............A (Cleveland, TN)
tube8520.....................KLX300......Sun30(pm)-Sun6(am)........Cabin-SL............B (Chatsworth, GA)
JohnRandall..................KLR650......Sun30(pm)-Sun6(am)........Cabin-SL...........B (Chatsworth, GA)
Shakeyjake18...............KLR650......Sun30(pm)-Sun6(am)........Cabin-SL...........B (Chatsworth, GA)
dualindalton.................DRZ400......Sun30(pm)-Sun6(am)........Cabin-RM..........C (Dalton, GA)
Marbleminer.................DRZ400......Sun30(pm)-Sun6(am).......Cabin-RM...........C (Dalton, GA)
JoeGurley....................KTM525......Sun30(pm)-Sun6(am)........Cabin-RM..........C (Dalton, GA)
BamaDirtPilot...............KLR650...2 weeks around these dates.....house...........D(Birmingham, AL with wife)
tman...........................KLR650.......Sun30( pm)-Sat5(am).............SL.............E(Brevard, NC)
Mdrake........................KLX250.......Sun30(p m)-Sat5(am).............SL.............E(Brevard, NC)
Will.............................DR650.........Sun 30(pm)-Sat5(am).............SL.............E(Brevard, NC)
kentuckyklr..................Husky450.....Sun30(pm )-Sat5(am).............SL.............E(Brevard,NC)
skhumba23.................KLR650.......Sun30(pm)-Sun6(am).......Cabin_SL.........H (Atlanta, GA)
pvaneerten.................KLR650.......Sun30(pm)-Sun6(am).......Cabin_SL.........H (Atlanta, GA)
1983c10......................KLR650.......Sun30(pm )-Sun6(am)..........SL..............I (Atlanta, GA with family)
johnboync...................DRZ400......Sun30(pm)-Sat5(am)...........SL...............J (Asheville, NC)
MATT650.....................DR650........Sun30(pm)-Sat5(am)...........SL...............J (Asheville, NC)
newmanv....................KLR650.......Sun30(pm)-Sun6(am)........house.............K (Athens, TN)
son of newmanv...........KLR650.......Sun30(pm)-Sun6(am)........house.............K (Athens, TN)
sarguy........................KLR650.......Sun30(p m)-Sat5(am)...........?.................L (Reno, NV)
horsepoor...........KLR650/KTM1290...Sun30(pm)-Sun6(am)..........?.................M (West Palm Beach, FL)

Red Mountain

Keep Loving Rides!
Old 06-17-2017, 07:57 PM   #76
tube8520

Locale: Chatsworth, Ga
Postings: 505
tube8520 is on a distinguished road

Does anyone have room for a DR650?
Trying to help Fred get to Colorado.
Fred is a riding buddy of Randall's and he wants to go if possible.
We have measured and measured trying to figure out how to get his bike in our trailer.
It doesn't look like we can.
HELP
What can Brown (dirt) do for You?
Ground Hawg

Last edited by tube8520; 06-17-2017 at 07:59 PM.
tube8520 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 06:28 AM   #77
yotaman423
A Regular

Super Cool Since: Jun 2012
Locale: cleveland tn
Postings: 45
yotaman423 is on a distinguished road

I have a single axle 6x12 trailer if needed
yotaman423 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 08:53 AM   #78
cherokee_chuck
KLR Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by tube8520 View Post
Does anyone have room for a DR650?
Trying to help Fred get to Colorado.
Fred is a riding buddy of Randall's and he wants to go if possible.
We have measured and measured trying to figure out how to get his bike in our trailer.
It doesn't look like we can.
HELP
Going to working on that this week.

Keep Loving Rides!
Old 06-28-2017, 12:22 PM   #79
cherokee_chuck
KLR Enthusiast

WOW...........1 month away!! As you get your bike ready for the trip, you need to go ahead and set up your carb for elevations primarily between 8,000-14,000 ft. It doesn't matter if your bike is fuel injected, they still have some issues too. But, in 2011, my carbed KLR650 had some trouble over 12,000'.....and really had issues over the 13,000' passes.

If you haven't done it already, and are in a good size group, get some communication going with your members. Talk about spare parts sharing.....food plans.....double check your sleeping arrangements....all that jazz and more. In 2011, we were fortunate enough to have very little rain, though it wasn't terribly dry/dusty. Be prepared riding gear wise for anything, though. Also.......and probably most important...........get your bike ready NOW! There is a fine dealership in Durango, but you want to have the bike ready as much as possible before we go. My KLX just this past month wasted a rear hub bearing. Very glad it happened now. If you have parts like that in an old bike that hasn't been changed in a while, you may want to do some 'preventative maintenance'!

Ridir Frith....................DR650.......Sun30(pm)-Sun6(am)........Cabin-SL............A (Cleveland, TN)
Jled71........................CRF450......Sun30(pm )-Sun6(am).......Cabin-SL.............A (Cleveland, TN)
Fred...........................DR650........Sun30( pm)-Sun6(am).......Triangle Motel......A (Cleveland, TN)
Tom...........................DR350........Sun30(p m)-Sun6(am).......Triangle Motel......A (Cleveland, TN)
tube8520.....................KLX300......Sun30(pm)-Sun6(am)........Cabin-SL............B (Chatsworth, GA)
JohnRandall..................KLR650......Sun30(pm)-Sun6(am)......Triangle Motel.......B (Chatsworth, GA)
Shakeyjake18...............KLR650......Sun30(pm)-Sun6(am)........Cabin-SL............B (Chatsworth, GA)
Bruce..........................DRZ400.......Sun30( pm)-Sun6(am)......Triangle Motel......B (Chatsworth, GA)
dualindalton.................DRZ400......Sun30(pm)-Sun6(am)........Cabin-RM..........C (Dalton, GA)
Marbleminer.................DRZ400......Sun30(pm)-Sun6(am).......Cabin-RM...........C (Dalton, GA)
JoeGurley....................KTM525......Sun30(pm)-Sun6(am)........Cabin-RM..........C (Dalton, GA)
johnboync...................DRZ400......Sun30(pm)-Sat5(am)...........SL...............J (Asheville, NC)
MATT650.....................DR650........Sun30(pm)-Sat5(am)...........SL...............J (Asheville, NC)

Red Mountain
Triangle Motel

Keep Loving Rides!
Old 06-28-2017, 01:03 PM   #80
cherokee_chuck
KLR Enthusiast

To give you an idea of the weather out in Silverton right now. It will be a little warmer when we go, and more chance of popup showers, but normally the passes will be open then. Still.....the chance of needing mesh is rare....unless you plan to take a journey to Utah/Arizona when you are there.

Keep Loving Rides!

Tags
colorado, dualsporting, juans, san