SiteLock
TENT 2 moto camping solo - wich one? (minimum screened area) - KLR650.NET Forums - Your Kawasaki KLR650 Forums Resource! - The Original KLR650 Forum!
KLR650.NET Forums - Your Kawasaki KLR650 Forums Resource! - The Original KLR650 Forum!
Go Back   KLR650.NET Forums - Your Kawasaki KLR650 Forums Resource! - The Original KLR650 Forum! > Ride Reports, Photo & Video > Ride Reports & Trip Planning
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Ride Reports & Trip Planning Are you ready for some great riding and adventure stories!?

Old 04-25-2017, 10:26 AM   #1
KORKE
A Regular

Super Cool Since: Feb 2013
Locale: Buenos Aires - Argentina
Postings: 233
KORKE is on a distinguished road
Default TENT 2 moto camping solo - wich one? (minimum screened area)

Hi,

I´m looking for a "2" tent (but just for me and my stuff). With room for my 6.2'height. Need to choose for 3 seasons and with a more dedicate orientation to my colder moto camping geography (not for winter and not to stay in Aconcagua Mountain !!). In general, the web inventory I'm seeing have a generous screened area. So I'm trying to find a 2 tent with a minimum screened area when all flaps are zipped.

I guess this one could be a target: https://www.campmor.com/c/alps-mount...-taurus-2-tent // (review: "... This is a nice tent that is easy to set up and just enough room for a 6' person. I chose this for colder season camping because it looked like it had minimum screened area when all flaps are zipped. This is mostly true except the 2 rectangular vents at each end ...").

Any suggestion? Tks. Jorge B.
Old 04-25-2017, 12:37 PM   #2
JeffsDarkSide
Wait, what?

Super Cool Since: Apr 2012
Locale: LA / NGA
Postings: 1,782
JeffsDarkSide has a spectacular aura aboutJeffsDarkSide has a spectacular aura aboutJeffsDarkSide has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: TENT 2 moto camping solo - wich one? (minimum screened a

I have this one: https://www.amazon.com/Ledge-Sports-...scorpion++tent

Now that I can see your link these two tents look similar. The scorpion is a few inches longer, 3 lbs lighter, 7" shorter packed but has 4" less height and maybe a few inches narrower.

Last edited by JeffsDarkSide; 04-25-2017 at 12:56 PM.
JeffsDarkSide is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 04-25-2017, 02:12 PM   #3
45Guy
A Regular

Super Cool Since: Dec 2010
Locale: Cochise Co., AZ
Postings: 156
45Guy is a jewel in the rough45Guy is a jewel in the rough45Guy is a jewel in the rough

I'm 6'2" and really like my Kelty Salida 2.
45Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 02:10 AM   #4
dtedwards
A Regular

Super Cool Since: Jan 2016
Locale: Juneau, AK
Postings: 226
dtedwards is on a distinguished road

Kelty Grand Mesa 2 is good and reasonably priced. Depending on how you pack, it is also great because it packs flat-ish, not in a big roll like most tents.

One thing about "screened area"... assuming the tent you use has a rainfly, you'll actually be better off with MORE screening on the tent body. Condensation, especially in colder climates, makes for a miserable experience. Ventilation is your friend.
'04 in "standard" Bedliner Black, ammo cans, EM Doohickey & Torsion Spring, EM fork brace, Top Gun 8Kg spring, Dirtracks crashbars, valves @ max spec, advanced exhaust timing... and a $40 Craigslist guitar
dtedwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2017, 08:43 AM   #5
packnrat

Super Cool Since: Apr 2015
Locale: in them hills.
Postings: 306
packnrat is on a distinguished road
Post Re: TENT 2 moto camping solo - wich one? (minimum screened a

sad but the smallest tent i could find... that allows one to stand up-right inside it. is a six person tent.

old man here, crawling around and having to get dressed while laying on ones back is not for me.

sorry no link, not even sure of the manf, brand, dealer, have had it for some years now.
couple more and in the trash, if i can not find a buyer for it.
packnrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2017, 01:52 PM   #6
"Mitch"

Super Cool Since: Aug 2014
Locale: Iowa
Postings: 3,145
"Mitch" is just really nice"Mitch" is just really nice"Mitch" is just really nice"Mitch" is just really nice

I have the Kelty Gunnison 2.2

I couldn't be a lot happier. Lots of room. Easy to set-up. Packs fairly small and light.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fD8ExCl1AUE
"Mitch" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 10:30 AM   #7
PittsDriver

Super Cool Since: Sep 2014
Locale: Annapolis MD
Postings: 720
PittsDriver is on a distinguished road

I'd look at the ultra light backpacking stuff that's out there. Personally, I've been camping with a Big Agnes Copper Spur UL2 for the last several years. It's held up perfectly over dozens of overnights on the trail; it packs up very small and light; and it erects and stows in minutes. That last bit is important if you're serious about doing much camping. Many times I've set it up in the pitch dark using a head lamp or in a rain storm when getting it under the fly quickly was essential.

I'm going to say that me "5'9" and all my gear fit just fine in the UL2 but I wish I'd gotten the UL3 for just a bit more room to move around in while I'm dressing and undressing. On the flip side, a smaller tent heats up more quickly from my body heat when camping in cold weather.

I also have a Big Agnes bag and inflatable mattress that is more comfortable than most hotel beds I've slept in.
'16 KTM 1290 R Super Duke (for my inner hooligan)
PittsDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 06:46 PM   #8
KORKE
A Regular

Gentlemen's: I'm paying attention all your entries and comments and taking a web view at your tents. Tks.
Old 05-01-2017, 06:55 PM   #9
KORKE
A Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtedwards View Post
Kelty Grand Mesa 2 is good and reasonably priced. Depending on how you pack, it is also great because it packs flat-ish, not in a big roll like most tents.

One thing about "screened area"... assuming the tent you use has a rainfly, you'll actually be better off with MORE screening on the tent body. Condensation, especially in colder climates, makes for a miserable experience. Ventilation is your friend.
Dtedwards: Actually, my moto camping tent is Kelty Grand Mesa 2. I get your point about condensation, but in fact, as I said, I´m feeling that the Grand Mesa 2 is too much screened.
Well: paying attention to the entries and comments. Someone will be the next "one" minimum screened.

Tks.

Old 05-01-2017, 09:14 PM   #10
WiRider
Not one of the experts.

Super Cool Since: Mar 2012
Locale: Madison WI
Postings: 2,547
WiRider has a spectacular aura aboutWiRider has a spectacular aura about

A 2 person tent is really one person plus gear, just big enough to do just the job of sleeping alone comfortably. Lot of folks find this is enough, but I've camped a lot and am living out there so like more room and get that by going one size up.

So I went on a big search to get a 3 person as close to the pack size as a 2 person as possible, and ended up with the Kelty Trail Ridge 3. It's a free-standing screen tent with separate full rain fly you can leave off for nice summer nights under the stars. Pack size and weight is a small increase from a 2 person and I have many clear lessons of being stuck in a tent for 2-3 days of rain, hence I select for headroom to sit up and play cards (that stay packed WITH the tent). Being a 3 person the length and height are more than ample for 6'2" to sit up as well as sleep with good comfort and excess room plus all your gear kept dry.

The Kelty Trail Ridge 3 and my ancient -5 degree down sleeping bag fit into one Seahorse SE-720 case with a bit of room left for the tiny camp stove and a boy scout cook kit.

If you want to go without the screen, you need just an emergency tent, then just get a good painter's plastic drop cloth 3 or 4 mill thick and some nylon cord and a few stakes. Pick up a rock and make a lump in the plastic to tie a string around to hold it down where needed. You need to have a pole, but the bike is a pole! Just run the string from a stake up over the bike and down to a stake. Two more stakes to hold the plastic spread. Whole thing wraps up tiny and hides nice between the back tire and rear spring.

Last edited by WiRider; 05-01-2017 at 09:23 PM.
WiRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 05-24-2017, 12:11 PM   #11
mackamitsu
A Regular

Super Cool Since: Apr 2016
Locale: Thunder Bay Ontario Canada
Postings: 98
mackamitsu is on a distinguished road

Hammock and fly, lightweight and keeps you off the dirt, and a cheap knock off hammock slung underneath for the gear
mackamitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 10:36 PM   #12
KORKE
A Regular

Finally, I bought an ALPS Mountaineering Taurus 2-Person Tent wich has, for me, a much more minor screened area. Just 1+ kilograms to carry and a bit bulkier than my Kelty 2 Grand Mesa. Tks. Jorge.
Old 07-07-2017, 06:36 PM   #13
KurtG

Super Cool Since: Nov 2005
Locale: California Central Coast
Postings: 289
KurtG is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by KORKE View Post
Finally, I bought an ALPS Mountaineering Taurus 2-Person Tent wich has, for me, a much more minor screened area. Just 1+ kilograms to carry and a bit bulkier than my Kelty 2 Grand Mesa. Tks. Jorge.
I also have that tent and like it. Very good for the money.
KurtG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 07:07 PM   #14
8bit

Postings: n/a

I had a one person North Face that was all screen. It was stolen and I don't know the model name; so haven't been able to find another one. Really liked that tent.

8bit

Last edited by 8bit; 07-07-2017 at 07:31 PM.
Old 07-07-2017, 07:53 PM   #15
8bit

Found it:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/The-North-Fa...y/263075506838

It's a single sleeping bag wide, no way it's a 2 or 3 person tent. Well, 2 if your amorous.

Anyone have one to sell?

8bit

Last edited by 8bit; 07-07-2017 at 08:01 PM.
Old 07-09-2017, 08:15 AM   #16
8bit

Found some innovative, inexpensive tents:

https://stores.ebay.com/East-Gazelle?...p2047675.l2563

Especially like this one, If it opens on both sides, except for the colors:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Professional...t/262196225469

8bit
Old 07-09-2017, 12:00 PM   #17
PittsDriver

Super Cool Since: Sep 2014
Locale: Annapolis MD
Postings: 720
PittsDriver is on a distinguished road

I have gone through a few less expensive tents and if you only carry it as a rare back up or you don't see camping as a priority, then you probably don't want to spend much. The problem is that you really do get what you pay for with the high quality ultra light back packing tents. Cheaper tents are going to be heavier, will leak (but can be sealed if you carry some goop), and won't stand up to the repeated use that these higher quality tents will handle.

For the last several years, our multi-week trips have all been camping most of the time. Every several days (or when the weather is particularly nasty) will we skip the camp for a hotel so we can do some laundry and reset our kit. I can honestly say that I sleep better in my camp than a hotel bed. I love my bag and inflatable mattress and though I sometimes want for more space, I like how my body heat quickly makes my UL2 a comfortable place on a really cold night.

South end of Yellowstone near Heart Lake:

Somewhere in the northern Nevada desert between McDermitt and Denio Junction:
'16 KTM 1290 R Super Duke (for my inner hooligan)

Last edited by PittsDriver; 07-09-2017 at 12:09 PM. Reason: added photos
PittsDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 01:15 PM   #18
KORKE
A Regular

Nice moto camping photos PittsDriver.
Tks.
Old 07-09-2017, 07:19 PM   #19
Granteezie
KLR Enthusiast

Super Cool Since: Apr 2008
Locale: Camano Island, Wa
Postings: 2,156
Granteezie is on a distinguished road

Rei half dome 2 plus. I love mine.
Granteezie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 07:31 PM   #20
8bit

Cheap tents don't last as long, but when you can buy 6 $50 tents for the same as 1 $300 tent, you don't care when they get ripped or whatever. Can of silicon spray, which I would do even for a $300 tent and good to go.

8bit
Sponsored links

Tags
area, camping, minimum, moto, screened, solo, tent, wich