SiteLock
Insurance prices on KLR/KLX. This High? - Page 2 - KLR650.NET Forums - Your Kawasaki KLR650 Forums Resource! - Original KLR650 Forum!
KLR650.NET Forums - Your Kawasaki KLR650 Forums Resource! - Original KLR650 Forum!
Go Back   KLR650.NET Forums - Your Kawasaki KLR650 Forums Resource! - Original KLR650 Forum! > KLR650 Discussion Forums > KLR650 Second Generation
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Hello, welcome back.
KLR650 Second Generation 2008-2017+ Related Topics

Old 03-21-2009, 08:30 PM   #21
darenb68
A Regular

Super Cool Since: Jul 2007
Locale: Oregon
Postings: 203
darenb68 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Insurance prices on KLR/KLX. This High?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PKII View Post
I received these quotes from my insurance company today. Does this sound reasonable to anyone?

KLR 650 50/100/50 on Bodily injury & Property damage 250 comp deductible 500 collision deductible 529.30 per yr.

KLX 250 50/100/25 250 comp 500 collision 385.31 per yr.
Try Gieco, they also throw in a free $500 worth of accessory insurance.
darenb68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 08:35 PM   #22
Nowhereman
A Regular

Super Cool Since: Feb 2008
Locale: Thunder Bay
Postings: 90
Nowhereman is on a distinguished road

I was quoted 1550, 1430, 1350, statefarm, Direct protect and Kingsway and Primmum quoted me $630 Liability only.
I got my license in '97 and have never had a ticket.
Coming back from Alberta these prices hurt.
Nowhereman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 11:27 PM   #23
PKII
A Regular

Super Cool Since: Oct 2007
Locale: WV
Postings: 75
PKII is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by warthog steve View Post
Im 55,same coverage as the quote for the KLR,and I pay $247.00/yr progressive,perfect driving record....
I just tried Progressive and it was about $412 a year with a $250 deductible what coverages did you take?

Last edited by PKII; 03-21-2009 at 11:56 PM. Reason: corrected amount
PKII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 11:40 PM   #24
PKII
A Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by darenb68 View Post
Try Gieco, they also throw in a free $500 worth of accessory insurance.
It was higher than Progressive....
Old 03-21-2009, 11:40 PM   #25
sfw

Super Cool Since: Jan 2009
Locale: GA
Postings: 16
sfw is on a distinguished road

State Farm - $138 for KLR '08
- $169 for Speed Triple '08 (bike for the criminally insane)

Some of you guys are getting screwed.
sfw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 11:44 PM   #26
PKII
A Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfw View Post
State Farm - $138 for KLR '08
- $169 for Speed Triple '08 (bike for the criminally insane)

Some of you guys are getting screwed.
What are your coverage amounts? That full coverage?
Old 03-22-2009, 12:01 AM   #27
sfw

It is full coverage, but I went with the $1000 deductible since I saved and have that covered anyway. My theory is that I save more in the long run. I have my house with State Farm and a truck as well (both very cheap). I have a clean record, like many here. I live in Atlanta (traffic hell) and still get good rates in this nightmare place to drive/ride.

I don't know what the difference is, but some of those numbers seem very high.
Old 03-22-2009, 12:02 AM   #28
SurfAwave69
A Regular

Super Cool Since: Nov 2008
Locale: Sausalito, Ca
Postings: 26
SurfAwave69 is on a distinguished road

Full Coverage on my 08 KLR 650 out here in S.F. is......
$707!!that's with progressive.....
SurfAwave69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 12:06 AM   #29
sfw

Quote:
Originally Posted by SurfAwave69 View Post
Full Coverage on my 08 KLR 650 out here in S.F. is......
$707!!that's with progressive.....
Please tell me you make 1 mil plus so it doesn't matter. In S.F. it costs 1 mil to buy a mailbox, right?
Old 03-22-2009, 01:07 AM   #30
SurfAwave69
A Regular

Locale: Sausalito, Ca
Postings: 26
SurfAwave69 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfw View Post
Please tell me you make 1 mil plus so it doesn't matter. In S.F. it costs 1 mil to buy a mailbox, right?
It's very expensive out here...yes...

There's people out here who earn average, middle-income wages...then there are the majority out here in S.F. that are in the top tax bracket (I'm not there...)

It's very nice out here though; I'd guess that's why it's so expensive. I'd say that trickles down to having higher insurance rates.

Last edited by SurfAwave69; 03-22-2009 at 01:10 AM.
SurfAwave69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 07:10 AM   #31
bulacouple

Super Cool Since: Feb 2007
Locale: NE Ohio
Postings: 504
bulacouple is on a distinguished road

Just paid $80 for the year through USAA.
bulacouple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 11:31 AM   #32
harley4jcs
A Regular

Locale: CENTRAL TEXAS
Postings: 160
harley4jcs is on a distinguished road

I'm at $35 a year in TX for 50/100/50 W/ med coverage..
LIABILITY ONLY
harley4jcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 02:34 PM   #33
waavygravy
Occasional Poster

Super Cool Since: Mar 2009
Locale: Canada
Postings: 2
waavygravy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jharvey1309 View Post
Try not to laugh too hard but here is the best quote I've been given. ***2100.00***

I just got my motorcycle license. I have a clean record but this is still the best I can get.

So no complaining
Im in the EXACT same boat as you, but im a year younger.. Best quote I got was at TDinsurance for 1980/year$.. I looked all over. The worst was a quote for 6160/year......
waavygravy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 09:06 PM   #34
PKII
A Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by waavygravy View Post
Im in the EXACT same boat as you, but im a year younger.. Best quote I got was at TDinsurance for 1980/year$.. I looked all over. The worst was a quote for 6160/year......
Now what did you try to insure that was $6160 a year? I never had even a car that much.
Old 03-22-2009, 09:10 PM   #35
waavygravy
Occasional Poster

Super Cool Since: Mar 2009
Locale: Canada
Postings: 2
waavygravy is on a distinguished road

It was a basic insurance quote for a 2009 KLR 650... Same as the one I got for 1980/year.. The differences in price is insane. How can one company quote me 2k and another over 6k for the same thing.. FYI 26, clean driving record, not even a parking ticket, M1 going for M2 at course same as the other guy..
waavygravy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 04:42 AM   #36
unvmee2

Postings: n/a

Quit banging your heads up against the wall THE KNOWLEDGE HAS BEEN FOUND!

I have worked for an insurance company for 15 years. I no longer do. I hated that place, so let me pass on the savings anyway that I can.

Let me first say, I have a 2006 KLR 650. I have been riding bikes since I was 5. I am 40 now. My parents owned a Kawasaki motorcycle shop for many years (not any longer though), so I will help you!

Let me first set the stage, EVERYONE will be in an accident at some point in their life. It is a matter of WHEN (statistically speaking), NOT IF (side note: The accident could happen in your car or motorcycle).

Some of you have commented on this already... There are many issues that will increase or decrease your insurance premiums (what you pay a month or a year), but a lot will have to do with risk. For example (not a complete list): Age, your record, your bike (value and type of bike), the state and area of the state you live in, your years of riding experience as a licensed motorist and rider, if you had any insurance coverage prior to your quote, your credit, your prior insurance claims history (how many times you used your insurance coverage?), COVERAGES YOU CHOOSE and with what company?

You can't change your age or your record (time does this), you aint going to change your bike (because you love it ), you aint going to move to another state (but might move out of the ghetto, which is always a good idea, but if you're reading this, you aren't in the ghetto ). You can't change your riding experience (but you can pay for an expensive safety riding course, which will reduce your rate a little bit. Do a cost benefit analysis on this issue). If you're shopping for insurance, it's best to do it after having coverage with one specific company for a year. Do not cancel your insurance, then shop for it. Shop and buy first, then cancel your prior insurance company. Keep your credit scores high, as they run a quick check (they want to see if you are a potential fraud. If you owe a lot of money, the chances are you could have your bike missing someday because you didn't want to make the payt any longer; therefore, wiping out your motorcycle debt. Also, good credit generally shows that the person is mature, reasonable, responsible, and safe).

Like your driving record, insurance companies keep a record of ALL ( I DO MEAN ALL) your claims that you have reported or made on your policy (even towing). There is a NATIONAL DATABASE that has all the information about every claim you reported that all insurance companies have access to. If you are going to shop for insurance, you better not make an insurance claim before you do so.

YOUR COMPREHENSIVE (anything for your bike that is not covered under collision, like fire, theft, and vandelism, etc) claims usually do not count against you; however, they can if you had, for example, 6 bikes stolen. Insurance companies will believe that you are a fraud or live in an area that is less than desireable. Or, maybe your bike is the risk (the hottest bike ever produced ), so theives look for these bikes... either way you slice it, YOU'RE SCREWED... you will pay out the doohickey for your insurance because of the risk.

Since most of everything above is really uncontrollable, let's talk about what is: Over and Under insuring yourself.

I see people OVER INSURE themselves and UNDER INSURE themselves all the time. Insurance is for your convenience and protection.

The convenience part is getting you back on the road to be rolling on the highway/streets as quickly as possible, for example, after someone vandalizes your bike (Comprehensive coverage or comp for short). Or, you were not able to avoid another knucklehead on the road after being cut off and got in a wreck with that knuclehead (collision coverage), all you do is pay your deductible to the shop when it is fixed (if bike is repairable).

You want to have a deductible that is affordable. But, at the same time, the lower the deductible the higher the premium (what you pay). I like my deductible low on Comprehensive, (in case someone steals my bike or vandalizes it) because I usually have no control over what happens to my bike when left parked in the streets and, again, a claim under comprehensive coverage usually does not count against you (usually, insurance companies will not/cannot raise your premiums). I go with a $100 deductible or less for Comprehensive coverage. If my bike is stolen and or totalled out in a wreck, I get the value of my bike, less $100. This is just me! I can make up the difference in negotiations.

For a lot of people out there, LIABILITY Coverage (your insurance company pays the other party(ies) because of your screw up on the road) is the most expensive coverage for you. Ususally, it is high because of all the things you can't control (age, experience, what state you live in, etc) or can't control anylonger (speeding citations, DUI, claim history, etc); therefore, you have to more or less bite the bullet on this one. Most states (possibly all states for all I know) require that you have Liability coverage when you ride. If you are an OVER INSURED individual, you can still save money on this type of coverage.

You need to know WHAT ARE YOU WORTH!!! If you aint worth the value of your bike, then you need to buy the bare minimum coverage that the State of (California... insert your state's name)mandates. In CA, you need 15,000/30,000/5,000 (also written as 15/30/5) Liability Coverage to ride.

The first number (15) means: Due to your screw up on the road, your insurance company will pay UP TO $15,000 for any one individual that you caused injury to (max payout to one person).

The secound number (30) means: Due to your screw up on the road, your insurance company will pay UP TO $30,000 for ALL PARTIES that you caused injury to (max payout on your insurance policy).

The third number (5) means: Due to your screw up on the road, your insurance company will pay UP TO $5,000 for ALL PARTIES that sustained physical PROPERTY DAMAGE (PD) (i.e. a car, a wall, a house, rental car expense paid out to other parties, etc.) that you caused (max payout on your insurance policy).

There is no need for an individual that is making minimum wage with no assets to buy an insurance policy with 250/500/250 coverage (even if mom and dad are paying for it). Usually, in cases like these, you are wasting money. You are just making people potentially rich just in case you're in an accident. If they sue you, what are they going to get???...ahhh.... yes... "your zero net worth."

They can't put you in jail because you were underinsured. Your insurance company will hire a lawyer for you if you are sued. They will not pay any money to the other party(ies) unless these other party(ies) sign a release that PROTECTS YOU FOREVER from being sued by these party(ies). If your insurance company did not do this, you can sue your insurance company and can receive millions for their negligence in handling your reported claim (whole other topic) Just understand the concept of being Over Insured stated above.

The opposite holds true for Under Insured though. If you are a person that has 15/30/5 Liability Coverage and your name is Warren Buffet (Geico owner), YOU ARE UNDER INSURED!!! Obviously, if Warren Buffet was sued and a judgement was awarded against him, his bank accounts would have to pay, they could attach his wages, assets, etc. His net worth is substantial. Usually, people like this take out 500/500/500 with at least a one-million dollar umbrella (a broader coverage in excess of your initial liabilty coverage). Umbrella policies are cheap, so if you have a lot of net worth (assets), get an umbrella. You won't though because you are riding a KLR (no assets). Did I tell you I have a KLR 650 ?

...continue on next post...
Old 03-23-2009, 04:42 AM   #37
unvmee2

Postings: n/a

Collsion coverage can be rather high, too. A higher valued bike will be rated higher (you pay more insurance premium) because of the value. It only makes sense. If your bike is totalled from a wreck, they need to pay you the value of your bike, less your deductible, so they charge more for your higher valued bike. Which is valued higher a BMW or a KLR? Which is valued higher 2009 KLR or a 1989 KLR? Since collisions are sometimes the fault of the rider, I choose my deductible a little higher than my comp deductible. I also want to factor in what I am willing to receive less, if my bike is totalled. I usually choose about a $200-$250 deductible.

If you have a bike worth $2,000 does it really make sense to have a $1,000 collision deductible and pay your premiums every month or year? In a year, you are going to pay at minimum $100 for your collsion coverage, so you are really only going to see $900 if your bike is totalled. I don't believe it is worth having collsion if your deductible is $1,000 and your bike is worth $2,000, but you decide.

Uninsured Motorist coverage: Although it is rather expensive coverage, it is a vital type of coverage to have in California and when the economy is tough. Why?

There are too many Uninsured Motorists (UM) on the road in CA. It becomes even worse in a bad economy. Are you going to put food on the table and roof over your head for yourself and your family or pay the insurance bill ? Even if it is against the law, people are going to do the right thing and break the law; therefore, they become an UM everytime they are on the road.

When an UM is at fault for an accident (partially or for the whole accident), your insurance company will pay you for your injuries, loss of wages, and for your inconveniences (i.e. making trips to the repair shop) all under your UM coverage. Your UM coverage cannot be higher than you liability coverages (remember 15/30/5?). So, you can have 15/30 UM coverage.

If you had 30/60/25 Liability Coverages, you can have 30/60 UM OR you could lower your UM coverages to 15/30 and save money, but at the same time retain this type of coverage. It's up to you if you want to do this.

There is UM coverage for your bike, too. It is called UMPD and UMPD 3500.

UMPD (uninsured motorist property damage) It's a deductible waiver. If the UM hits you and they are partially at fault or entirely you will either get partially your deductible waived, or it may be entirely waived (depends on each companies' policy language); however, usually, it is based upon the percent of the UM's fault.

UMPD 3500 (uninsured motorist property damage up to $3,500). This coverage is for people that do not have collsion coverage (remember the example of the bike that is only worth $2,000, but I said it was not worth having a $1,000 collsion deductible?); however, if you want collsion coverage from a UM and when the UM is at fault, this coverage will provide it. It is based upon's the UM's fault and your insurance company will pay up to $3,500 for the repairs of your bike, or the value of your bike, or whichever is less.

For example: Your KLR is worth $2,000. If a UM hits you in the rear and your bike sustains $1,000 in damage, your insurance company will pay 100% of your $1,000 damages, because the UM is 100% at fault and the damages are under the value of your bike.

If your bike was worth $4,000 and your bike was totalled by the UM, then you could only receive the maximum of $3,500 from your insurance company for your bike. You could still sue the UM for your $500 you are out of pocket.... good luck!

As you can see from the UMPD $3,500, it can partially cover you when collision coverage is too high for you or when your bike ain't worth that much anymore. But, understand that this type of coverage applies only when a UM is involved and they are at fault (partially or entirely). It is really cheap coverage though. It does not cover any comprehensive issues (i.e. theft).

Medpay: Some people aren't working right now and have no medical insurance; however, they still have some funds in their bank account to pay for their bike insurance. Good news... you can get medical coverage if you are involved in an accident on your bike. It is sort of expensive, but not like health care coverage, like Kaiser.
With that comparison, it is dirt cheap. So, if you are a long time rider, you have fallen off your bike on more than one occasion. The medpay coverage has a limit (as all insurance does). You can usually purchase in increments of a $1,000 (1M, 2M, 3M, etc).

For example: A UM hits you from behind. You have only liability coverage on your bike because you had to cut back your bills. Who will pay for your ambulance ride and for your broken wrist? The UM has no insurance or money. You do not have UM coverage. You read this post and remembered that you have purchased $5,000 in medpay coverage (bare minimum get $2,000); therefore, your insurance policy will pay for your ambulance and broken wrist UP TO $5,000. If it is over, you pay the balance. You can sue the UM to get what is owed to you... good luck!

I have seen thousands of ambulance bills. If they take you across the street, you would be lucky to see a bill lower than $700, so buy at least $2,000 in Medpay coverage. It will cover your passenger, too (if you have $2k medpay, you both have access to $2k in medpay coverage; $2k +2k=$4k)

I haven't seen any tow coverages that are worth their price (cost benefit analysis). If you see one that looks good, let me know. If you have AAA on your cars, just add your bike to your membership. It's cheap like that, but you probably don't have AAA because you're a KLR owner (you can fix anything)

Now that you know what you can control (your deductibles and the amount of insurance you want), I am going to give you two Insurance Companies to get quotes from to lower your insurance premiums. Be sure you compare apples to apples (15/30/5 liab for Company X v. 15/30/5 for Company Z, etc). Dont just ask for bottom line price... shop! Ask questions... do you give senior discounts, military, tearchers, what's the discount for safety course program taken (it will be different at each company), etc.

Since I shopped my ass off, I couldn't find anything lower than these two companies (I was previously insured with State Farm). I received more coverage (I got medpay $5,000, UM-20/40, and UMPD deductible waiver), while adding more of the same coverage (15/30/10 went up to 20/40/15), and my comprehensive deductible went from $250 to $100. At the time I did not have collision, but I have a $200 collision deductible now...all for the same price per year that I was paying with State Farm (I even had multiple policy discounts w/ State Farm), so I know I did really good!!! So can you... are you ready for the two companies?

My buddy has Foremost Insurance (who are they you might ask?). It is actually Farmers Insurance Group of Companies (key words: Group of Companies). Farmers is owned by Zurich. Farmers owns several different companies you haven't heard of, but just understand Foremost is really a Farmers Insurance company. Foremost is not a hole in the wall company. Zurich is the largest insurance company in the world. You can go here https://www.foremost.com/ or you contact any Farmers Agent in your local area to get a quote, either in person or by telephone.

I have Geico. I just called them for my comparison shopping; however, I purchased my policy online. Instead of all that paperwork (policies and your declaration of coverages) being sent to your home, it is online. You can access your information anywhere that has internet. And, you dont have to worry about where you place the paperwork. Foremost I believe will be ALL paperwork sent to your house (unsure though). Because of the many different varriables involved in the pricing of insurance policies it is basically useless to tell you what I am paying a year. Since my buddy and I are similar in all respectable varriables, our prices were virtually the same. I think there was a $3.00 difference between our two polices with two different companies so that is why I am giving both names to you.

https://www.geico.com/

1-800-442-9253

For the record, there is no such thing as "Full Coverage." Think about it... you couldn't afford "Full Coverage" (infinity), but I know what you mean when you say it!

Now, Let's Roll...
Old 03-23-2009, 02:28 PM   #38
stolentino

Locale: Stockton-no jobs, lots of crime!
Postings: 476
stolentino is on a distinguished road

I must be 'tarded.
the way I see it, the odds are stacked against me.
I bought a '97 corolla in '05 for $4800(too much).
It has been a great car.
Been paying minimum CA insurance on it ever since.
At the end of the year, I will have paid $4800 for insurance on it with my wife and I on the policy.
One ticket, no accidents.
If nothing bad happens, we will be out of $4800.
I did not sleep any better with the insurance.
I did not worry less when my wife took off in the car with a bad case of female-mania.

If something bad happens, they might cover it (insurance companies are revenue producing institutions ), and my rates will go up.
-I'll pay for it in the end-
If something really bad happens and insurance covers some of it, I'll get my wages attached, or garnished, or what-have-you when I get sued and loose.
-I'll pay for it in the end-
This would also happen if I had no Insurance, except I would have $4800 more in my checking account to pay for damages.
and I'll pay for it in the end.

So what if I bought a Glock, and a lock to slow them down enough so I could pull up a sight?
And what if I wore all the gear all the time?
And what if I read Proficient Motorcycling by David Hough and practiced rapid stops and swerves in a parking lot or on a country road with a riding partner(s)?
What if I stayed away from those guys that like to do High-Chairs, naked, going down Interstate 5 at 80Mph?
Doesn't that amount to a good bit of Insurance?

Is it not like playing the slots, except if you win, you are going to find out what the grill of an econoline350 tastes like?
I can play that game for free.

If life sucks, God is teaching you a lesson 'cuz he loves you and doesn't want you to be the dumb bastard that you are.
Ricor shock, Intimidators
Thermo-bob, bailing wire
TrailTech 40w HID flood light , nautilus horn, cheap grip warmers
EM: SubframeDrillThru,0.7 bar risers,doohicky
stolentino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 02:36 PM   #39
harley4jcs
A Regular

Locale: CENTRAL TEXAS
Postings: 160
harley4jcs is on a distinguished road

Dude U have way to much time on u'r hands !! BUT in essence you are 100% correct..Notice I pay $35 A YEAR with Med coverage.

That's a slot I'm more than willing to pull..
harley4jcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 02:39 PM   #40
mdmaroon
A Regular

Super Cool Since: Apr 2008
Locale: Richmond, BC
Postings: 127
mdmaroon is on a distinguished road

OMG WTF? People are talking about paying $185 for the YEAR?

Man, We're getting ripped off in British Columbia, Canada.

I am an "ICBC Gold Road Star" which means I have the best discount you can possibly get. Takes about 15 years of no claims to get that. I've been at that level of discount for about 5 years now.

For basic third party, collision, comprehensive with theft, and and extra $500,000 3rd party liability I pay about $1500 per year.

The theft insurance accounts for about half of that, so the cheapest I could do it is about $800 per year.

People with no accidents for 20 years SHOULD only pay like $200 or something. What BS.
mdmaroon is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
high, insurance, klr or klx, prices