SiteLock
Big Gun EVO R Question - KLR650.NET Forums - Your Kawasaki KLR650 Forums Resource! - Original KLR650 Forum!
KLR650.NET Forums - Your Kawasaki KLR650 Forums Resource! - Original KLR650 Forum!
Go Back   KLR650.NET Forums - Your Kawasaki KLR650 Forums Resource! - Original KLR650 Forum! > KLR650 Discussion Forums > KLR650 Maintenance, Modifications & Technical
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
KLR650 Maintenance, Modifications & Technical Wrenching and mods - KLR650 Technical discussion only!

Old 04-24-2009, 06:17 PM   #1
SgtSmoker
A Regular

Super Cool Since: Mar 2008
Locale: Whittier, CA
Postings: 148
SgtSmoker is on a distinguished road
Default Big Gun EVO R Question

Anyone out there have this exhaust system installed on a pre '08? I'm talking about the "New" Evo R, not the last generation Evo X. Actually, has anyone had this issue with the X silencer either? Seems mine won't fit without taking a big chunk out of the rear fender... Big Gun says they have sold "thousands" of these systems and never had a fit issue and fender should not have to be modified. After two days of back and forth e-mails and photos, they have no answer... they are scratching their heads too.

So... I'm just wondering if I am just the unlucky guinea pig for their new pipe, or if anyone else has had this issue?

Any advice appreciated.
SgtSmoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 11:52 AM   #2
fixer
LEVEL 3 STAFF
Been here a while

Super Cool Since: Sep 2003
Locale: Lost Wage$, NV
Postings: 13,605
fixer will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Big Gun EVO R Question

pix?

KLR 650: Dirt Ninja • KLR 250: the ugly duckling, undergoing rehab

√ote Libertarian!

perpetuate the KLR stereotype, visit the Deals Forum
fixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 05-19-2009, 11:57 AM   #3
SgtSmoker
A Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by fixer View Post
pix?
At work now... I'll try to post up a little later.
Just don't... is all I can say.
Old 05-19-2009, 09:20 PM   #4
SgtSmoker
A Regular

So… I get a killer deal on a complete EVO R system, I’m excited go to bolt it on, does not fit.
WTH… Call Big Gun and they ask me to send these photos:

Their response:
I had the r&d manager in here again to take a look at these pictures and they have assured me that it’s the correct exhaust. We are completely stumped on this one. Just to be clear, you have a 2004 Kawasaki KLR650? Its not a special edition model or anything like that?

And then:
We are really not sure why this exhaust is not fitting properly. Everything looks correct on the muffler as far as the mounting tabs go. The only thing we can think of after looking at our fixtures and cross referencing part numbers for both the stock mufflers and stock rear fenders from 04’-07’ is that the rear fender may not be the original. Are you absolutely sure that the fender is a factory Kawasaki part and not an aftermarket one?

At the request of Big Gun, I boxed it all back up and shipped it back to them to check on their fixtures.

And then:
We checked you exhaust with our fixture pipes and everything looked spot on. Because of this, I contacted a previous customer of mine that has the same year KLR650 that you have. Unfortunately I was unaware that trimming of the plastic was required until speaking to this customer yesterday. I had him send us a few photos of the finished product so you can see exactly where to cut. Once again, we do apologize for all the inconvenience this has caused. If you have any more issues with the exhaust please let us know.

Here are the pics he sent back to me:

Here is a pic of another KLR with an EVO X system that fit perfect:

I thought maybe I could use spacers to angle the can away from the fender... but no way.
Here was some of my semi-heated response to Big Gun:
This is turning into a huge hassle.
Let me tell you, I shopped around for a while before deciding which exhaust sytem I would buy. I read articles, talked to fellow riders, your sales people, searched internet forums, etc. to try to make the best possible choice... and I chose a Big Gun, one of the more expensive ones out there. Many people suggested I stay away from Big Gun for noise and reliability issues, however I discounted their opinions figuring it was probably just a lack of proper maintenance. With so many people out there with them and since Big Gun had the only "complete" system, I figured Big Gun Exhaust looked to be like a quality company, that I could have confidence in.
So far I'm seriously not impressed.
Upon delivery of the exhaust, I excitedly went out to the garage and unpacked the system. First, no kind of instructions or even a packing list of what should be in the box. I got a silencer with mid-pipe attached, a header pipe, and a little screen/arrestor. No gasket, no clamps, no hardware... Do I need any? Is it supposed to be here? No way to tell. So, first irritation, I have to go down to the Kawasaki dealer and order a gasket so I can actually install the exhaust.
I was not particularly impressed with the build quality either... The older Evo X systems that I have seen had a better finish on the header pipe than this new one. Pretty rough. The big Evo R sticker was even crooked. But hell... it's an exhaust... it's gonna get thrashed anyway... I'll ignore that irritation.
Before ordering I called Big Gun with a couple of questions about the Evo X, and was told they are being discontinued and replaced by the "better" Evo R and that the header pipe was different and had more steps in it to develop more power. I was quite impressed and actually waited until the new series was available before I ordered it. Well the only "steps" in the header pipe is where it reduces to the stock pipe diameter just before it connect to the mid-pipe. This is apparently so your "slip-on" silencer and your "complete" silencer can have the same size mid-pipe. Is this a joke? Why make a larger diameter header pipe just to choke it down to the original size anyway? Also, the reducer that is welded to the header pipe leaves a bad reverse lipped edge on the inside of the pipe that is huge flow reducer. Quality irritation!
Your website has a description of the KLR650 system that reads,
"(93-09) Kawasaki KLR650 (Complete System) lighter than stock, Adds up to 6 horsepower overstock. Standard with USFS approved spark arrestor, Vortex Quiet Insert meets 94db state park requirements, Race Tools pillow packing. (only exhaust system to come with all the above features standard) Jetting necessary. Standard 6 month warranty applies to this product."
When on the phone with Big Gun (after purchase) I asked if this was a seperate insert (like others) or built into the silencer. Your rep informed me that the "Vortex Quiet Insert" was too restrictive for large cc engines, so this system does not have that. But it quite clearly says it does in every description you have of it. What the hell? That was one of the selling points. Great!... Noise irritation now too!
Then we get to yesterday and my attempt to install and it does not even fit!!!!!!
Major Irritation!!!!!!!

Can you tell I was a little pissed at this point?
Well, I mulled it over a bit, and after finding out that I would be taking a hit in shipping and restocking fees to return it…. Screw it… I installed it on the bike and hacked the fender.

Here is a photo of the new stainless pipe (Evo X was ceramic coated) before installation… nice steel color:

Here is after a few miles… all kinds of colors and really make the ugly welds stand out more:

BTW... bike is properly re-jetted, in fact running rich. It's not lean running doing this.

What do y’all think?
Old 05-20-2009, 10:07 AM   #5
fixer
LEVEL 3 STAFF
Been here a while

Super Cool Since: Sep 2003
Locale: Lost Wage$, NV
Postings: 13,605
fixer will become famous soon enough

i agree with you on all points... except for the discoloration of the stainless pipe. that seems normal discoloration for stainless pipes that i've seen on other bikes... the welds look funky, but i wouldn't say it's in a bad way... but then i don't have a problem with chromed pipes turning blue either.

of course, the "beauty" product shot isn't going to show a used system and that's normal.

i'd be interested in seeing more pix of how the one that's angled out and clears the fender is mounted. i'd guess they've got a spacer under the back mount and twisted the tabs to make it work like that.

fenders and most of the rest of the bike is the same from '87 to '07, and from other reports,early or late model bike shouldn't matter, the pipe should fit. so when their product listing says '93 to '09 that's incorrect.

there are no aftermarket fenders sold for the KLR, so they're grasping at straws there.

typical clueless customer no service

KLR 650: Dirt Ninja • KLR 250: the ugly duckling, undergoing rehab

√ote Libertarian!

perpetuate the KLR stereotype, visit the Deals Forum
fixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 03:36 PM   #6
Salty Sway
A Regular

Super Cool Since: May 2009
Locale: Huntsville, AL
Postings: 107
Salty Sway is on a distinguished road

You can use Kaboom (cleaner) and a scotch brite pad and it will look better than new, follow up with some Mothers polish. The brownish color will come back over time but the blue/purple usually comes from oil left over from the manufacturing process and/or letting the bike idle for an extended period. Usually a good idea to clean the pipes with brake cleaner before starting the first time to make sure all of the oil and oily finger prints are gone. I'm waiting on the same system to come in, how loud is it?

To much color on this one

Titanium

Last edited by Salty Sway; 05-20-2009 at 03:39 PM.
Salty Sway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 04:23 PM   #7
beefalumpalo
KLR Enthusiast

Super Cool Since: Jul 2007
Locale: Shelton WA 1,545mi NW of Spoonbooty
Postings: 1,957
beefalumpalo will become famous soon enough

I remember being taught that steel coloring like that is caused by oxides forming due to high heat. IIRC the color is dependent on the thickness...the thicker the oxide the more blue it becomes. Oils alter the formation of oxides but they don't cause the blue.
beefalumpalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 04:49 PM   #8
SgtSmoker
A Regular

Actually the color is kinda growing on me... don't really want sparkly things on it anyway.

Oh yeah... I'm not liking their 15 hour repack interval either.
Old 05-20-2009, 05:20 PM   #9
Salty Sway
A Regular

Super Cool Since: May 2009
Locale: Huntsville, AL
Postings: 107
Salty Sway is on a distinguished road

I've repacked a few street mufflers and the insulation material used in them often still looks good for 10k miles or more. Figured if it gets to loud I'll try the packing Muzzy uses.
Salty Sway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 11:59 AM   #10
chasem1991
A Regular

Super Cool Since: Feb 2009
Locale: Huson/Missoula, Montana
Postings: 201
chasem1991 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtSmoker View Post
Actually the color is kinda growing on me... don't really want sparkly things on it anyway.

Oh yeah... I'm not liking their 15 hour repack interval either.

How are you liking it?

Do you still have it?

Tags
big, evo, gun, question