SiteLock
Current gps/tablet info? - KLR650.NET Forums - Your Kawasaki KLR650 Forums Resource! - The Original KLR650 Forum!
KLR650.NET Forums - Your Kawasaki KLR650 Forums Resource! - The Original KLR650 Forum!
Go Back   KLR650.NET Forums - Your Kawasaki KLR650 Forums Resource! - The Original KLR650 Forum! > Off The Beaten Path > GPS: Equipment, Tracks and Places
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
GPS: Equipment, Tracks and Places Find the right GPS for you!

Old 01-02-2014, 11:29 PM   #1
bwfox
A Regular

Super Cool Since: Jul 2007
Locale: Wells, NV
Postings: 96
bwfox is on a distinguished road
Default Current gps/tablet info?

I was never very good at using my gps units. After cataract surgery, I couldn't even see the small screens. I would have to stop and put my readers on to see anything. I don't do very difficult rides anymore as far as terrain goes, mostly 2 track roads. I do have a SPOT. If I go out exploring, I would like to have a track that I could save. I am also not very techy. I want to be able to download a program or two and then be able to throw a tablet on a ram mount and go out and be able to see where I am and where I've been. I need to know about tablet durability, on bike charging, screen brightness, heat issues, etc.

I see Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 Whites for around $150. Any other recommendations? Do I need 3/4G or wifi? There are some forum discussions, but they quickly go beyond my limited ability or desire to understand....I need to be able to switch between KLX and KLR quickly and easily. Hence the ram mounts.
2008 KLR650 Black and Green
www.gnatsass.net
bwfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 08:22 AM   #2
Garry_Kramer
A Regular

Super Cool Since: Jan 2013
Locale: Edmonton
Postings: 146
Garry_Kramer is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Current gps/tablet info?

If you want tablet size, Garmin has 2 - 7" screen GPS's

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/on-t...EEN_01-p1.html

Garry

Follow me at www.AmazingRideforMS.ca
Garry_Kramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 01-03-2014, 08:30 AM   #3
inhousebob

Super Cool Since: Oct 2012
Locale: Northern VA
Postings: 727
inhousebob is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwfox View Post
I was never very good at using my gps units. After cataract surgery, I couldn't even see the small screens. I would have to stop and put my readers on to see anything.
You may well have tried this or have other issues, but I got a pair of glasses that are great for riding. They are simple bi-focals that let me see forward clearly through the top half and see the gauges clearly through the bottom. I can't wear them for anything else for some reason, but for when my head is in the helmet and doesn't need to turn much, they are great. Anyhow, keep on riding!
inhousebob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 12:44 PM   #4
bwfox
A Regular

Super Cool Since: Jul 2007
Locale: Wells, NV
Postings: 96
bwfox is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by inhousebob View Post
You may well have tried this or have other issues, but I got a pair of glasses that are great for riding. They are simple bi-focals that let me see forward clearly through the top half and see the gauges clearly through the bottom. I can't wear them for anything else for some reason, but for when my head is in the helmet and doesn't need to turn much, they are great. Anyhow, keep on riding!
I do wear sunglasses with readers under my Arai XD with faceshield. The cheaters are for fisherman but the corrected zone for close up is a bit too small. If I got some bifocals, I would need some self darkening lenses like Transitions or photogrey I think.
2008 KLR650 Black and Green
www.gnatsass.net
bwfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 12:50 PM   #5
inhousebob

Super Cool Since: Oct 2012
Locale: Northern VA
Postings: 727
inhousebob is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwfox View Post
I do wear sunglasses with readers under my Arai XD with faceshield. The cheaters are for fisherman but the corrected zone for close up is a bit too small. If I got some bifocals, I would need some self darkening lenses like Transitions or photogrey I think.
Bet that would work.
inhousebob is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links

Tags
current, gps or tablet, info