SiteLock
GPS!? - KLR650.NET Forums - Your Kawasaki KLR650 Forums Resource! - The Original KLR650 Forum!
KLR650.NET Forums - Your Kawasaki KLR650 Forums Resource! - The Original KLR650 Forum!
Go Back   KLR650.NET Forums - Your Kawasaki KLR650 Forums Resource! - The Original KLR650 Forum! > Off The Beaten Path > GPS: Equipment, Tracks and Places
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
GPS: Equipment, Tracks and Places Find the right GPS for you!

Old 02-14-2014, 07:03 PM   #1
renimus
A Regular

Super Cool Since: Dec 2012
Locale: San Francisco
Postings: 69
renimus is on a distinguished road
Default GPS!?

I'm sure there has been many threads on this topic, but I'll throw new one in the mix.
I've never used one before. I'm about to leave on a long 6 months trip and will definitely benefit from having one. Was gonna leave on this trip without one, but some friends have been pointing out that I MUST have one.
Now, I spent some time online, and there's literary hundreds available - bit overwhelming. I'm looking for something very basic, user friendly, affordable. Recommendations?
renimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 10:52 PM   #2
tiedupand2twisted

Super Cool Since: Oct 2013
Locale: Cottonwood,Ca.
Postings: 71
tiedupand2twisted is on a distinguished road
Default Re: GPS!?

I use a garmin 465t. It's not bike specific, but any GPS will work. use it for rest stops, gas station, mileage from here to there you friends are right Take one.. I paid 225 a few yrs ago. You'd be surprised at the info they store on one.. I do like the bigger screens on some...
Old 02-14-2014, 11:28 PM   #3
sasho

Super Cool Since: Jun 2009
Locale: Missoula, MT
Postings: 373
sasho is on a distinguished road

I found GPS most necessary in cities... Riding around in cities eats up time quick!!
Past rides: PNW KLR Rally 2010 & 2012, Happy Trails 25th anniversary KLR Rally 2012, MT to Alaska 2011, Magruder Corridor 2012, Eastern Montana 2012, Eastern Europe 2012, Bulgaria 2013, MT/ID/NV/CA/OR 2013, Beartooth Hwy 2014. Best of Montana 1000 (2013, 2014, and 2015), 9 Balkan Countries 2014, ADV Wallowa Jamboree 2015, Mexico Baja 2015
Wish list:around the Black Sea, Siberia, Utah, Africa, Australia and NZ
sasho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 02:33 AM   #4
tiedupand2twisted

Super Cool Since: Oct 2013
Locale: Cottonwood,Ca.
Postings: 71
tiedupand2twisted is on a distinguished road

Also, I found this website for back woods maps, www.huntinggpsmaps.com If you hunt, or just getting way back into the back country you cant go wrong with having all the info about property lines, and forest boundry lines, and the names of the private owned land. you can buy it on an SD chip and use it from device to device, computer, iphone,gps units.. I've tried using my garmin for back roads and although the maps are up tp date, it's ok but there's lots of roads that don't show up on a GPS intended for roads and highways. I like to try and get lost in the wilderness and have almost made it a couple times.. Anyway, I thought some of you could use this info for your gps units...i'm ordering next week and see how they do...

Tags
gps