SiteLock
Droid died so I have a Galaxy S4 now... - KLR650.NET Forums - Your Kawasaki KLR650 Forums Resource! - The Original KLR650 Forum!
KLR650.NET Forums - Your Kawasaki KLR650 Forums Resource! - The Original KLR650 Forum!
Go Back   KLR650.NET Forums - Your Kawasaki KLR650 Forums Resource! - The Original KLR650 Forum! > Off The Beaten Path > GPS: Equipment, Tracks and Places
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
GPS: Equipment, Tracks and Places Find the right GPS for you!

Old 02-15-2014, 05:46 PM   #1
Birdy
KLR Enthusiast

Super Cool Since: Jun 2009
Locale: Springfield, Oh
Postings: 1,800
Birdy is on a distinguished road
Default Droid died so I have a Galaxy S4 now...

My Droid 3 died after years of good service. I never mounted it on the bike as the slide out keyboard looked like it was made to break off on a bike. I had my Droid in a tank bag and just use the BlueTooth to hear what to do. Only thing was it got very hot at times. I picked up the Galaxy S4 it has no slide out keyboard so I ordered a Ram X mount kit and got a Lifeproof case for it already

I have used a Garmin and while it was nice right now I wouldn't use a "real" GPS enough to toss down the cash on one. I will use the phone though. But I need a good GPS app for it now. I'd like to be able to "Pre-Plan" a trip with waypoints if I can. The only draw back to the Droid was it was hit or miss on trying to change a route, very simple as you'd expect. I don't need a full blown set up but a few optional route would be nice. I go to the app store and there are 100s of GPS app listed and am hoping you guys can save me the headaches and time of looking at each and every one.
Old 03-03-2014, 10:09 AM   #2
bwfox
A Regular

Super Cool Since: Jul 2007
Locale: Wells, NV
Postings: 96
bwfox is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Droid died so I have a Galaxy S4 now...

I have a Rzr Droid M. I'd like to know an easy app for the short run whilst I try and configure a tablet or a gps for long term applications. I hope someone pipes up here with a recommendation.
2008 KLR650 Black and Green
www.gnatsass.net
bwfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 03-13-2014, 08:44 PM   #3
recrazyjax

Super Cool Since: May 2010
Locale: Jacksonville, Fl
Postings: 14
recrazyjax is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Droid died so I have a Galaxy S4 now...

Me Too...I used to use google maps (which was awesome) but they took away the ability to see "my maps" from the phone app (which SUCKS) and it is useless now. arrgg!

T
Todd
recrazyjax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 09:11 PM   #4
currenv

Super Cool Since: Jan 2013
Locale: Maryland - D.C. suburb
Postings: 853
currenv is on a distinguished road

I use two GPS programs on my iPhone, Waze and Navigon. Waze relies on a data cell connection to download maps as yu drive. I just used it in my car from D.C. To rural Tennessee and it worked fine. With Navigon, on the other hand, you download the maps to the unit so no data connection is needed. I used it from D.C. To Atlanta and back via the Blue Ridge Parkway and it worked fine. Both will give alternate routes but to really control the routing, I found it easiest to just program in a series of intermediate locations. Neither has a breadcrumbs function that I'm aware of. I don't have the patience to really learn how to use these things, so there may be an easier way. Both programs worked well with my Chatterbox. Hopefully others who are more knowledgeable will chime in. I'd like to know if there's anything better out there myself.

Vinnie

- H.L. Mencken
currenv is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links

Tags
died, droid, galaxy