SiteLock
nuvi vs GPSMAPS 62s - KLR650.NET Forums - Your Kawasaki KLR650 Forums Resource! - The Original KLR650 Forum!
KLR650.NET Forums - Your Kawasaki KLR650 Forums Resource! - The Original KLR650 Forum!
Go Back   KLR650.NET Forums - Your Kawasaki KLR650 Forums Resource! - The Original KLR650 Forum! > Off The Beaten Path > GPS: Equipment, Tracks and Places
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
GPS: Equipment, Tracks and Places Find the right GPS for you!

Old 03-18-2014, 09:34 PM   #1
Ldfry001
Occasional Poster

Super Cool Since: Mar 2014
Locale: Kentucky
Postings: 2
Ldfry001 is on a distinguished road
Default nuvi vs GPSMAPS 62s

I just purchased a 2013 KLR 650 new from CC Powersports in Louisville. I am now on the search for a GPS unit for my bike, I've been researching them for about a week now and i think i have narrowed it down between 2. Either the Garmin nuvi 2595 or the Garmin GPSMAPS 62s.

Cabelas has the 62s for $199 right now and has the nuvi 2595 for $99

Im just looking for the pros and cons of each of these, I know the nuvi wont hold up as well and Ill have to spend at least another $100 for a waterproof ram case and mount.

Most of my riding is going to be county gravel and small blacktop roads, but i do plan on getting off the beaten path sometimes.

So with all this which might be the better unit for me to buy?

I also dont want to spend a ton on maps to load onto either unit. Im about topped out at $200-$250 because of other things i would like to put on the KLR.

Thanks,
Lloyd
Ldfry001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 09:17 AM   #2
jonkertb
A Regular

Super Cool Since: Mar 2009
Locale: west central Indiana
Postings: 54
jonkertb is on a distinguished road
Default Re: nuvi vs GPSMAPS 62s

I've got an older Nuvi 760 that I've used between my last 6 bikes and in the 4 wheelers. It is still going strong although it reminds me that garmin wants some $$ in a map update which I haven't and probably won't do. I just have it on a ram mount and made a hood for it from a rectangular Tupperware storage container. cut out two sides and mounted in sandwiched in the ram mount. painted flat black...keeps rain off and sun reflections...works great and KLR worthy. I have two bikes and each has a handle bar ball mount for the ram...just got back from trip to gulf shores on the HD and the nuvi still works LOL
tom
jonkertb is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 03-19-2014, 11:05 AM   #3
Ldfry001
Occasional Poster

Super Cool Since: Mar 2014
Locale: Kentucky
Postings: 2
Ldfry001 is on a distinguished road

Yeah I mean a big plus of the nuvi is the 5" screen which i really like. the only thing i was worried about was being able to upload .gpx files that i find on here and advrider.com. I have never had a gps before so i dont really know much just trying to figure out which one will be best for the least amount.

On your nuvi can you upload routes/tracks?
Ldfry001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 09:21 AM   #4
lotecredneck
A Regular

Super Cool Since: Mar 2013
Locale: Great State of Texas
Postings: 59
lotecredneck is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ldfry001 View Post
Yeah I mean a big plus of the nuvi is the 5" screen which i really like. the only thing i was worried about was being able to upload .gpx files that i find on here and advrider.com. I have never had a gps before so i dont really know much just trying to figure out which one will be best for the least amount.

On your nuvi can you upload routes/tracks?
Yes you can upload files. Go to Garmin.com and the support tab and you can download the manual for older Garmins and read how to do it. I bought a couple of older Nuvi 700 series off of eBay and have them mounted and they work fine. This website is handy to compare models: https://comparison.maps-gps-info.com/

They can be had for around $50 then you just need the stuff to mount it to your bars.
I am going to post my install today.

~Tony
lotecredneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links

Tags
62s, gpsmaps, nuvi