SiteLock
Gps units - KLR650.NET Forums - Your Kawasaki KLR650 Forums Resource! - The Original KLR650 Forum!
KLR650.NET Forums - Your Kawasaki KLR650 Forums Resource! - The Original KLR650 Forum!
Go Back   KLR650.NET Forums - Your Kawasaki KLR650 Forums Resource! - The Original KLR650 Forum! > Off The Beaten Path > GPS: Equipment, Tracks and Places
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
GPS: Equipment, Tracks and Places Find the right GPS for you!

Old 03-22-2015, 09:46 PM   #1
Monolithic
A Regular

Super Cool Since: Oct 2014
Locale: Ontario canada
Postings: 64
Monolithic is on a distinguished road
Default Gps units

I'm considering adding a gps unit...question is which one? Im partial to garmin, but am open to different units...

Any recommendations?
Monolithic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 11:11 PM   #2
11-Thumper
A Regular

Super Cool Since: May 2014
Locale: Houston, TX
Postings: 188
11-Thumper is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Gps units

I have a TomTom on mine. It's an older model I used to have in my car before I got in-dash GPS. Have it in a RAM mount and it works fine for me.

Unless you want something fancy, maybe buy an older GPS on ebay and see how you like it. I've seen TomToms for like $25. Add in $25 worth of stuff to mount it and you're good to go. Only issue may be rain, but I don't ride in the rain regularly.
Old 03-22-2015, 11:15 PM   #3
Monolithic
A Regular

Super Cool Since: Oct 2014
Locale: Ontario canada
Postings: 64
Monolithic is on a distinguished road

Thanks, I'll check it out...
Monolithic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 06:37 AM   #4
swjohnsey
LEVEL 3 STAFF

Super Cool Since: Jan 2004
Locale: Texas
Postings: 8,396
swjohnsey is a glorious beacon of lightswjohnsey is a glorious beacon of lightswjohnsey is a glorious beacon of lightswjohnsey is a glorious beacon of lightswjohnsey is a glorious beacon of light

If you don't use it much the car style GPS will work. I used Garmin for several years. The vibration finally gets to them. I took them apart and discovered that they broke where the power plugs in on the back. That plug in is soldered to the circuit board.

I'm now using a refurbished Garmin Zumo 350, a very nice GPS that is hard wired to the bike. Garmin is the defacto standard.
swjohnsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 06:47 AM   #5
JeffsDarkSide

Super Cool Since: Apr 2012
Locale: LA / NGA
Postings: 1,745
JeffsDarkSide has a spectacular aura aboutJeffsDarkSide has a spectacular aura aboutJeffsDarkSide has a spectacular aura about

I use an older nuvi 1490 with the topo software and it is great. Shows all the hiking trails and fire service roads where I like to ride. If it rains a zip lock sandwich bag or a condom slipped over it keeps it dry and "protected"!!
JeffsDarkSide is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links

Tags
gps, units