SiteLock
Bluetooth for helmet... - KLR650.NET Forums - Your Kawasaki KLR650 Forums Resource! - The Original KLR650 Forum!
KLR650.NET Forums - Your Kawasaki KLR650 Forums Resource! - The Original KLR650 Forum!
Go Back   KLR650.NET Forums - Your Kawasaki KLR650 Forums Resource! - The Original KLR650 Forum! > Off The Beaten Path > GPS: Equipment, Tracks and Places
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
GPS: Equipment, Tracks and Places Find the right GPS for you!

Old 05-25-2015, 03:47 PM   #1
AllenTC2

Super Cool Since: Apr 2008
Locale: Cross Lanes, WV
Postings: 490
AllenTC2 is on a distinguished road
Default Bluetooth for helmet...

So I don't even have a bike yet, but I'm already pondering farkles. One thing has me stumped.....I've had GPS units on my last two bikes, and this one will be no different. I'm looking at a Garmin Zumo and all the motorcycle-friendly ones have Bluetooth capability.

I'm not really looking for bike-to-bike comms, so is there just a set of Bluetooth headphones one can put in their helmet to get music/directions/whatever from either the GPS or my iPhone? Or must I go with the spendy Chatterboxes or whatever?
Old 05-25-2015, 06:38 PM   #2
SCREAMINSAL
KLR Enthusiast

Super Cool Since: Jul 2010
Locale: Prison
Postings: 1,509
SCREAMINSAL will become famous soon enoughSCREAMINSAL will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Bluetooth for helmet...

CL...

Score a cheap Scala G4
SCREAMINSAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 05-25-2015, 07:44 PM   #3
Dan Diego

Postings: n/a

Cardo-Scala is good. Am waiting for my old Multi-set to die so I can buy a new (G9) set.

I have 3 units and the speakers are in 5 of my helmets.

Meshes with the Zumo 660 just perfectly.
Old 05-26-2015, 01:59 AM   #4
Arizona_Elwood

Super Cool Since: Jul 2014
Locale: Phoenix, Arizona
Postings: 637
Arizona_Elwood has a spectacular aura aboutArizona_Elwood has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllenTC2 View Post
So I don't even have a bike yet, but I'm already pondering farkles. One thing has me stumped.....I've had GPS units on my last two bikes, and this one will be no different. I'm looking at a Garmin Zumo and all the motorcycle-friendly ones have Bluetooth capability.

I'm not really looking for bike-to-bike comms, so is there just a set of Bluetooth headphones one can put in their helmet to get music/directions/whatever from either the GPS or my iPhone? Or must I go with the spendy Chatterboxes or whatever?
My Vote is for the LG TONE ULTRA (HBS-800)
https://www.lg.com/us/cell-phone-accessories/lg-HBS800

It's an around the neck bluetooth headset. It will connect to 2 different devices at the same time so phone & GPS are covered.

Sound quality is pretty damn good.. and has Active noise canceling.. So, about 80% of the wind noise while riding is just.. gone..

Can use google voice commands though the headset.. ie navigate to (wherever ) or text to (whomever )...

Can also use it in the car, on a airplane, out jogging ( ha! ).. Or wherever you want off the bike..

Can make or take phone calls while riding.. In my experience I've been able to hold a conversation at 75 mph with the other party hearing me well..

It's not toooo expensive. can find them going for about $65. But beware of cheaper knockoffs.. they look very similar but do not function the same..

It's a in ear vs over the ear design that blocks more noise.. Though you can still hear what your motor is doing & the traffic around you..

There is another model that is a few bucks cheaper.. but doesn't have the ANC.. I have them both and the ANC is worth every penny.. The difference in noise is like the difference in riding in a wind tunnel and riding in my pickup..
Old 05-26-2015, 06:55 AM   #5
verboten1
KLR Enthusiast

Super Cool Since: Apr 2008
Locale: Monroe, MI
Postings: 1,243
verboten1 is on a distinguished road

Just go Sena, smh 5 if you want to be cheap. Smh 10 for a few more features, smh20 is awesome, but not really necessary unless using with another 20.
It's made for the bike, waterproof, if you ever get in a group it's great, because I've not been in a group without at least one, in the last 4 years. Battery works for 8+hours being on the whole time on the bike.

I have a clamp on my Nolan, and another on my AFX DS-39
'12 Super Tenere XT1200
'13 Versys 650 For the wife
James Bay Madness!!!

Last edited by verboten1; 05-26-2015 at 06:56 AM.
verboten1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 08:46 AM   #6
ADK_mechEtech

Super Cool Since: Oct 2014
Locale: 06076
Postings: 546
ADK_mechEtech has a spectacular aura aboutADK_mechEtech has a spectacular aura aboutADK_mechEtech has a spectacular aura about

2nd vote for Sena. I have no experience with the older units, but the 20s is great. I love the android app. It makes setting things up much easier and has quick access to the manual so you can look up the commands/button presses. The sound quality is great and pairs with 2 Bluetooth devices. Can play navigation from your phone properly and will lower music volume when directions are playing. I haven't used the intercom yet but i'm sure it works well. The FM radio is a bit meh, but I have apps on my phone for that.

I have my phone on a handlebar bolt mounted RAM mount so I can use it for navigation.
ADK_mechEtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 10:12 PM   #7
KLR Phil
Door Jumper

Super Cool Since: Jul 2015
Locale: Cincinnati
Postings: 102
KLR Phil is on a distinguished road

I have the Sena SMH10-R in two sportbike helmets and love it. Listen to music, intercom, take calls et al.

Poser Extraordinaire

2015 KLR 650 (Black)
2007 Ducati 1098S (Red)
KLR Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 08:55 AM   #8
Dan Diego

If you want the best, most modern system, try the UClear. The HB200 model is a good choice.

Unlike other models, the UClear can communicate with just about any other system. That's a huge plus.

As well, it has no boom mike; the mike is contained in the ear speakers. So installation is a snap.
Old 07-17-2015, 06:25 PM   #9
laddsta
A Regular

Super Cool Since: Feb 2015
Locale: South Kingstown, RI
Postings: 46
laddsta is on a distinguished road

I also have the SENA smh-5 and I love it, music while riding is alright but it becomes invaluable when you ride with someone else that has one. Being able to ride with someone and be in constant communication is very nice.
laddsta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2015, 07:20 AM   #10
bigHklr
A Regular

Super Cool Since: Apr 2015
Locale: MN
Postings: 144
bigHklr will become famous soon enough

Another Sena smh-5 user.
Radio/bike to bike/GPS/talk on the phone, -all works great even with good ear plugs in.
I ride rain or shine and we have had some real dumpers this year...the Sena is unaffected.

The GF and I stay connected (talking enabled) from when we leave the garage to when we get back. The longest connection time I can recall was over 4 hours and we still had battery to spare.
Sponsored links
Old 07-18-2015, 10:08 AM   #11
SCREAMINSAL
KLR Enthusiast

Super Cool Since: Jul 2010
Locale: Prison
Postings: 1,509
SCREAMINSAL will become famous soon enoughSCREAMINSAL will become famous soon enough

For the cheap bastards...

Get a SCALA... they can be picked up cheap, for the true KLR-ista, that's very important. Also, if your needs aren't met by the SCALA, sell it.... You don't see them often on CL but they're out there. Most want WAAAAY too much but it's up to you how much to spend. I've been using the SCALA system for about 10 years. It's above average, and perfect for what I ask it to do. Most other systems are modeled after SCALAs.

Great system...
Affordable...
Robust....
Water resistant...
Resale is good

Do your research....
SCREAMINSAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2015, 11:08 AM   #12
Dan Diego

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCREAMINSAL View Post
For the cheap bastards...

Get a SCALA... they can be picked up cheap, for the true KLR-ista, that's very important. Also, if your needs aren't met by the SCALA, sell it.... You don't see them often on CL but they're out there. Most want WAAAAY too much but it's up to you how much to spend. I've been using the SCALA system for about 10 years. It's above average, and perfect for what I ask it to do. Most other systems are modeled after SCALAs.

Great system...
Affordable...
Robust....
Water resistant...
Resale is good

Do your research....
Can't argue with that.

I'm waiting for my old Cardo-Scala Q2 system to die so I can buy the UClear. But it won't die!
Sponsored links

Tags
bluetooth, helmet