SiteLock
SD card needed for Wisconsin? - KLR650.NET Forums - Your Kawasaki KLR650 Forums Resource! - The Original KLR650 Forum!
KLR650.NET Forums - Your Kawasaki KLR650 Forums Resource! - The Original KLR650 Forum!
Go Back   KLR650.NET Forums - Your Kawasaki KLR650 Forums Resource! - The Original KLR650 Forum! > Off The Beaten Path > GPS: Equipment, Tracks and Places
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
GPS: Equipment, Tracks and Places Find the right GPS for you!

Old 06-14-2016, 02:30 PM   #1
DanBarwick

Super Cool Since: Jun 2014
Locale: Independence, Kansas
Postings: 1,006
DanBarwick is on a distinguished road
Default SD card needed for Wisconsin?

OK! I'm bad enough at using a GPS so I'm not even sure I'll ask this questions correctly...

I have a Garmin Oregon 600, with an SD card that has Garmin's map for the south central US, which includes my state of Kansas. Separately, I have downloaded the track for the Trans Wisconsin Trail, which is in a different map region ("Northeast"), and installed it on the Garmin using Basecamp.

Question: when I get to Wisconsin, what will I see on my screen if the SD card in the unit doesn't apply to Wisconsin? Will I see just the lower resolution baseman that came installed in the unit, and will that be sufficient? Many thanks.

2009 KLR, EM 685 kit, full Cogent treatment, goes anywhere
2005 Yamaha TW200, actually this is the one that REALLY goes anywhere
1999 BMW r1100rt, a true continent crusher
DanBarwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 10:26 PM   #2
NVGTI

Super Cool Since: May 2008
Locale: Dayton, NV
Postings: 2,659
NVGTI is on a distinguished road
Default Re: SD card needed for Wisconsin?

I believe you will only see the basemap.
I've downloaded free topo maps of several states, how I did it, I have no idea right now. LOL But knowing that it can be done is the first step.

2008 Red KLR 650, T bob, CD Moab shock, Ricors up front, EM fork brace, KLR Dash, Seat Concepts, 35,000 miles
2007 Black, Ricor front/rear, EM fork brace, heated grips,
HT skid plate, Tusk foot pegs, SV650 front brake caliper, and 15,000 miles
1984 klr600; sold https://www.klr650.net/forums/showthread.php?t=105780
Insist on the best https://www.eagleMike.com/ or (619) two six one one two 8 1
NVGTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 06-14-2016, 10:51 PM   #3
DanBarwick

Quote:
Originally Posted by NVGTI View Post
I believe you will only see the basemap.
I've downloaded free topo maps of several states, how I did it, I have no idea right now. LOL But knowing that it can be done is the first step.
thanks – so if I can only see the base map, does that mean that I can still follow the track, just on a map with a little less detail? Thanks.

Old 06-14-2016, 11:38 PM   #4
NVGTI

Super Cool Since: May 2008
Locale: Dayton, NV
Postings: 2,659
NVGTI is on a distinguished road

If you only have basic street maps, I doubt you would see the trial, but your tracks should show up.

You could experiment a little with your GPS, hard to explain but I'll try. From where ever you are now, you can zoom out until you can see the state are in question, move the cursor around to center of that area, then zoom in and recenter as needed until you get zoomed in close on the area you are trying to ride on.
Are you using the Basecamp software on your computer? Should be able to do the same thing there only much easier as you have a larger screen.

These devices are overwhelming but take a little time and learn as much as you can about it before your trip.
https://www8.garmin.com/learningcente...-trail/oregon/

https://www.gpscity.com/support

2008 Red KLR 650, T bob, CD Moab shock, Ricors up front, EM fork brace, KLR Dash, Seat Concepts, 35,000 miles
2007 Black, Ricor front/rear, EM fork brace, heated grips,
HT skid plate, Tusk foot pegs, SV650 front brake caliper, and 15,000 miles
1984 klr600; sold https://www.klr650.net/forums/showthread.php?t=105780
Insist on the best https://www.eagleMike.com/ or (619) two six one one two 8 1

Last edited by NVGTI; 06-14-2016 at 11:40 PM.
NVGTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 01:12 AM   #5
littlejon
KLR Enthusiast

Super Cool Since: Mar 2007
Locale: Lofall, WA
Postings: 1,128
littlejon will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanBarwick View Post
thanks – so if I can only see the base map, does that mean that I can still follow the track, just on a map with a little less detail? Thanks.
Yes, you will be able to follow the track, but with little or no map detail.

Make sure none of the tracks have more than 500 points! This is critical! (don't ask me how I know..) tracks with more than 500 points will not show up completely on most Garmin units. (one of Garmins many fails..)

lots of free maps here,but they aren't routable..

https://www.gpsfiledepot.com/

Last edited by littlejon; 06-15-2016 at 01:15 AM.
littlejon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 08:16 AM   #6
"Mitch"

Super Cool Since: Aug 2014
Locale: Iowa
Postings: 3,145
"Mitch" is just really nice"Mitch" is just really nice"Mitch" is just really nice"Mitch" is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlejon View Post
Yes, you will be able to follow the track, but with little or no map detail.

Make sure none of the tracks have more than 500 points! This is critical! (don't ask me how I know..) tracks with more than 500 points will not show up completely on most Garmin units. (one of Garmins many fails..)

lots of free maps here,but they aren't routable..

https://www.gpsfiledepot.com/
What software do you use to reduce the number of points?

Thx

Edit- I should note that I have a Zumo 660LM, which does not work well with Basecamp. It will work with Basecamp but Garmin (another one of their many fails) warns that while it appears to work you might encounter problems following tracks created with Basecamp. It works well with Mapsource but I am still learning how to edit tracks and routes.

Thx again

Last edited by "Mitch"; 06-15-2016 at 08:22 AM.
"Mitch" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 03:36 PM   #7
DanBarwick

Great replies - thanks! If I download the 24K map from Garmin for the Northeast (which includes Wisconsin), where does it get stored on the GPS? On the unit itself, or on the SD card in the slot? Up to this point, my 24K maps are on various SD cards from Garmin, and swapping them kind of sucks...

Old 06-15-2016, 07:53 PM   #8
littlejon
KLR Enthusiast

Super Cool Since: Mar 2007
Locale: Lofall, WA
Postings: 1,128
littlejon will become famous soon enough

How I reduce track points with Basecamp,
right click on the track name- select filter-reduce to 500 points max. I'm sure there are other ways as well, but that's what works for me.

No idea where downloaded maps land, but I'd suggest getting the NA map on SD, and selling yours on ebay. Downloaded maps are only good on one device, maps on SD cards can be transferred.
(I guess topo maps are by region.. The topo maps in the link above can be put on your GPS section by section so you're only storing the maps you'll use. They can be deleted later and then reinstalled if needed.)

GPSfiledepot.com also has a forum that might get you better answers than you'll find here.

Last edited by littlejon; 06-15-2016 at 08:03 PM.
littlejon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 09:22 PM   #9
"Mitch"

Super Cool Since: Aug 2014
Locale: Iowa
Postings: 3,145
"Mitch" is just really nice"Mitch" is just really nice"Mitch" is just really nice"Mitch" is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlejon View Post
How I reduce track points with Basecamp,
right click on the track name- select filter-reduce to 500 points max. I'm sure there are other ways as well, but that's what works for me.

No idea where downloaded maps land, but I'd suggest getting the NA map on SD, and selling yours on ebay. Downloaded maps are only good on one device, maps on SD cards can be transferred.
(I guess topo maps are by region.. The topo maps in the link above can be put on your GPS section by section so you're only storing the maps you'll use. They can be deleted later and then reinstalled if needed.)

GPSfiledepot.com also has a forum that might get you better answers than you'll find here.
Thank You.

I was working on some tracks tonight and discovered how to filter down the points in Mapsource. Same thing. You just right click. Select track properties and then there is an option to filter the track.

"Mitch" is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links

Tags
card, needed, wisconsin