SiteLock
Garmin Zumo 660 - KLR650.NET Forums - Your Kawasaki KLR650 Forums Resource! - The Original KLR650 Forum!
KLR650.NET Forums - Your Kawasaki KLR650 Forums Resource! - The Original KLR650 Forum!
Go Back   KLR650.NET Forums - Your Kawasaki KLR650 Forums Resource! - The Original KLR650 Forum! > Off The Beaten Path > GPS: Equipment, Tracks and Places
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
GPS: Equipment, Tracks and Places Find the right GPS for you!

Old 02-04-2015, 04:59 PM   #1
Wild man
A Regular

Super Cool Since: Jun 2013
Locale: Colorado Springs
Postings: 88
Wild man is on a distinguished road
Default Garmin Zumo 660

I'm in the market for a GPS to use on the KLR. I've had a GPS on all my bikes, from the Garmin III on my 605 ATK to the 2730 on my 2003 Concours, the technology has really come a long way.

What I'm leaning towards is either the Zumo 660LM or Montana. Durability is critical to me, specifically the mounting method. Another area of concern is the ability to hardwire, and will it be a dependable connection.

Thanks ahead for any input you guys might have

Bill
Wild man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 08:08 PM   #2
swjohnsey
LEVEL 3 STAFF

Super Cool Since: Jan 2004
Locale: Texas
Postings: 8,396
swjohnsey is a glorious beacon of lightswjohnsey is a glorious beacon of lightswjohnsey is a glorious beacon of lightswjohnsey is a glorious beacon of lightswjohnsey is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Garmin Zumo 660

Check out the Zumo 350. See if you can find a comparison chart for the various models.
swjohnsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 02-08-2015, 05:26 PM   #3
Wild man
A Regular

Super Cool Since: Jun 2013
Locale: Colorado Springs
Postings: 88
Wild man is on a distinguished road

Thanks SW!
Wild man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 07:09 PM   #4
Rusty Bridges
A Regular

Super Cool Since: Nov 2011
Locale: Heart of Dixie
Postings: 223
Rusty Bridges is on a distinguished road

with the 665LM you can get XM satelite weather

l have a 350LM and don't like (have had trouble with) the pin connectors on the motorcycle mount. They don't keep a good connection and the gps shuts itself off and turns back on constantly.Everytime l remove it from the mount l have to go through this until it finally establishes a good connection. And Garmin's customer service ... isn't !
Rusty Bridges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 10:47 AM   #5
BuffHunter
A Regular

Super Cool Since: Apr 2015
Locale: Colorado
Postings: 82
BuffHunter is on a distinguished road

The 665 does not use routing and other functions on topo maps and will not even accept some Garmin topo maps. Look at older models and Montana carefully for this issue. I have a 665 and like it on the road inside the USA and Canada, but it sux in Baja because it will not accept the Garmin mexico map, and will not route using the Cartografia E32 maps.
BuffHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 12:44 PM   #6
Dan Diego

Postings: n/a

I've used the Zumo 660 successfully for years now. Zero complaints. It mounts easily and securely to the bike via RAM mounts, or there are more secure aftermarket set-ups (Touratech, etc.).

Once you've mounted the Zumo mounting hardware to your bike, it's easy to snap it off and on. It's water/weather-proof and has proved to be pretty dang durable.

If it eventually dies, I will replace it with another 660 or perhaps the 665 (to get Sirius/XM radio).

I'm a fan.
Sponsored links

Tags
660, garmin, zumo