SiteLock
Cell Phone/GPS question - KLR650.NET Forums - Your Kawasaki KLR650 Forums Resource! - The Original KLR650 Forum!
KLR650.NET Forums - Your Kawasaki KLR650 Forums Resource! - The Original KLR650 Forum!
Go Back   KLR650.NET Forums - Your Kawasaki KLR650 Forums Resource! - The Original KLR650 Forum! > Off The Beaten Path > GPS: Equipment, Tracks and Places
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
GPS: Equipment, Tracks and Places Find the right GPS for you!

Old 04-27-2016, 01:28 PM   #1
charlesb
Occasional Poster

Super Cool Since: Apr 2016
Locale: miami
Postings: 4
charlesb is on a distinguished road
Default Cell Phone/GPS question

What is the best cell phone mounting kit and best GPS app to use for both road and trail?
charlesb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 03:14 PM   #2
RidingMann
A Regular

Super Cool Since: Feb 2016
Locale: VA
Postings: 155
RidingMann is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Cell Phone/GPS question

https://www.amazon.com/Cradle-Holder-...=sr_1_3&sr=8-3
https://www.amazon.com/Mount-Composit...8CC85CDM4WVS58https://amzn.to/26v7jlz

combine that with maps.me (will work w/o cell service) in iphone or android and be done.

If you want to go better, this is my other (best) set up:
https://amzn.to/1NUloxm
https://amzn.to/1UhM4yC
https://www.amazon.com/Ram-Mount-Moto...ilpage_o01_s00
https://www.amazon.com/Contains-Unive...ilpage_o01_s00
https://www.amazon.com/Mounts-SOCKET-...ilpage_o01_s00

Last edited by RidingMann; 04-27-2016 at 03:21 PM.
RidingMann is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 04-27-2016, 04:31 PM   #3
charlesb
Occasional Poster

Super Cool Since: Apr 2016
Locale: miami
Postings: 4
charlesb is on a distinguished road

Thanks, I'm at work now but will review this info tonight. Glad I came across this site, the folks here are generous with their knowledge and experience. Thank you RidingMann
charlesb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 04:36 PM   #4
RidingMann
A Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlesb View Post
Thanks, I'm at work now but will review this info tonight. Glad I came across this site, the folks here are generous with their knowledge and experience. Thank you RidingMann
No problem. The X-Mount has yet to fail me.... and trust me, it has had MANY opportunities!
Old 04-27-2016, 05:36 PM   #5
JeffsDarkSide

Super Cool Since: Apr 2012
Locale: LA / NGA
Postings: 1,749
JeffsDarkSide has a spectacular aura aboutJeffsDarkSide has a spectacular aura aboutJeffsDarkSide has a spectacular aura about

The X-mount has failed me several times on rough trails. I have switched to this without issue so far.

And my beloved Trimble Outdoors Navigation Pro app is going away after September. Just going away!!!! It is the most capable system I had found for trail riding so easy to use...........now, I too, will be on the hunt for a new app.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Iphone clamp.jpg (3.7 KB, 267 views)

Last edited by JeffsDarkSide; 04-27-2016 at 05:38 PM.
JeffsDarkSide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 05:40 PM   #6
RidingMann
A Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffsDarkSide View Post
The X-mount has failed me several times on rough trails. I have switched to this without issue so far.

And my beloved Trimble Outdoors Navigation Pro app is going away after September. Just going away!!!! It is the most capable system I had found for trail riding so easy to use...........now, I too, will be on the hunt for a new app.

https://amzn.to/1QBuL4I
Will give 100% certainty it wont let you down. I've yet to have a problem but, I suppose it is always possible.
Old 04-27-2016, 06:14 PM   #7
KF7JA

Super Cool Since: Feb 2015
Locale: Washington State (the dry side!)
Postings: 450
KF7JA is on a distinguished road

I use the X-mount for phone and it has never failed in 5000 miles of rough roads and trails. For GPS I use a Garmin Montanna with a rugged mount. I like the rugged mount because it has built in power and a locking Torx screw. Ram mounts to mount everything. I also us the ram mount mirrors and have swapped out the thumb screws with nylocks or their pin key system to keep the honest people honest. At least they will have to have the torx security bit and a wrench to steel things.
KF7JA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 06:46 PM   #8
RidingMann
A Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by KF7JA View Post
I use the X-mount for phone and it has never failed in 5000 miles of rough roads and trails. For GPS I use a Garmin Montanna with a rugged mount. I like the rugged mount because it has built in power and a locking Torx screw. Ram mounts to mount everything. I also us the ram mount mirrors and have swapped out the thumb screws with nylocks or their pin key system to keep the honest people honest. At least they will have to have the torx security bit and a wrench to steel things.
Nice, I'm getting ready to either do something WAY cool, or ... ya'll know me, it doesn't always go like I want!

I'm going to bolt that angled ram ball mount to the underside of my windshield moving my Montana (in a rugged AMPS mount) as high center as possible while still being behind the windshield.

Do you use City Navigator wiht your montana? I've not had mine long and ONLY bought it for the TAT tracks. MrsRidingMann insist that I can turn the tracks into turn by turn by converting it to a route. Not sure how/if that will work or not.
Old 04-28-2016, 06:56 AM   #9
JeffsDarkSide

JeffsDarkSide has a spectacular aura aboutJeffsDarkSide has a spectacular aura aboutJeffsDarkSide has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by RidingMann View Post
https://amzn.to/1QBuL4I
Will give 100% certainty it wont let you down. I've yet to have a problem but, I suppose it is always possible.
Yup, that would probably make the Ram X mount foolproof! I used zip ties the first time the phone came off then my daughters stretchy hair bows but they always got in the way of my "dot" on the route track!

Thanks for the link, I am going to try that!!
Old 04-28-2016, 10:32 AM   #10
"Mitch"
Been here a while

Super Cool Since: Aug 2014
Locale: Iowa
Postings: 3,108
"Mitch" is just really nice"Mitch" is just really nice"Mitch" is just really nice"Mitch" is just really nice

Quote:

Is Trimble Outdoors shutting down their Navigator app and service, or just their All Sports app?
"Mitch" is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 04-28-2016, 10:34 AM   #11
KF7JA

Super Cool Since: Feb 2015
Locale: Washington State (the dry side!)
Postings: 450
KF7JA is on a distinguished road

The newer X-mounts come with a rubber band thing that makes it more secure. I don't use it though. See photo

I do use Citynavigator and the NW quad maps. Both work without cellular service. CN has voice prompts and speed limits which is nice but I rely on the more detailed quad maps. Since the are on micro sd cards you have to choose (I think).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (25.1 KB, 6 views)

Last edited by KF7JA; 04-28-2016 at 10:38 AM.
KF7JA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 12:46 PM   #12
JeffsDarkSide

Quote:
Originally Posted by "Mitch" View Post
Is Trimble Outdoors shutting down their Navigator app and service, or just their All Sports app?
(March 22, 2016) — The following mobile apps will no longer be available for purchase or download after April 1, 2016:

• Trimble Outdoors Navigator
• Trimble Outdoors MyTopo Maps
• Backpacker GPS Trails
• Backpacker Map Maker
• Trimble GPS Hunt
• Trimble GPS Fish
• Trimble GPS Maps

Existing Trimble Outdoors customers can continue to use their apps, subscription services, and accompanying websites over the next year. Trimble is committed to making this yearlong product sunset as easy as possible.

This is what I got when i sent an e-mail to inquire..............

While we are getting out of the consumer app business, we are continuing to develop our professional software, Terrain Navigator Pro. It's more expensive, but also much more robust. Given that the app is built on the same platform you are used to, you may want to explore purchasing the TNP software. To learn more, visit www.terrainnavigator.com or call Ken Zisserson at 877-587-9004, ext. 106.

Last edited by JeffsDarkSide; 04-28-2016 at 12:47 PM.
JeffsDarkSide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 02:35 PM   #13
gooberdog

Super Cool Since: Jul 2014
Locale: Kansas City
Postings: 62
gooberdog is on a distinguished road

Quote:

While we are getting out of the consumer app business, we are continuing to develop our professional software, Terrain Navigator Pro. It's more expensive, but also much more robust. Given that the app is built on the same platform you are used to, you may want to explore purchasing the TNP software. To learn more, visit www.terrainnavigator.com or call Ken Zisserson at 877-587-9004, ext. 106.
At $399 first state, $199 additional states and $124/state/year maintenance it would have to be a truly amazing product.
gooberdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 02:46 PM   #14
JeffsDarkSide

Quote:
Originally Posted by gooberdog View Post
At $399 first state, $199 additional states and $124/state/year maintenance it would have to be a truly amazing product.
Agreed but check the mobile apps tab.............only $99 per State. I have a call in to see if this includes the PC/internet based route planning feature that the Trimble Outdoor Navigation had. If so I might bite but also have some questions in to Pathway to see what they are all about and how their route planning/sync'ing works.
Old 04-28-2016, 02:49 PM   #15
"Mitch"
Been here a while

"Mitch" is just really nice"Mitch" is just really nice"Mitch" is just really nice"Mitch" is just really nice

Quote:
(March 22, 2016) — The following mobile apps will no longer be available for purchase or download after April 1, 2016:

• Trimble Outdoors Navigator
• Trimble Outdoors MyTopo Maps
• Backpacker GPS Trails
• Backpacker Map Maker
• Trimble GPS Hunt
• Trimble GPS Fish
• Trimble GPS Maps

Existing Trimble Outdoors customers can continue to use their apps, subscription services, and accompanying websites over the next year. Trimble is committed to making this yearlong product sunset as easy as possible.

I can't blame them, but holy buckets the pricing is beyond Garmin. For that much dough I'll buy a Montana and fully load it with maps.
Old 04-28-2016, 03:03 PM   #16
JeffsDarkSide

Just talked to the TNP guy (referenced above) on the phone. It is $399 per State and made for true professional use (not sure what that mobile app fee of $99 is for). They are having a meeting Tuesday to talk about Current Trimble users and how they can offer a less expensive and less capable product that we are willing or likely to pay for.

Fortunately I am good with Trimble until September so hopefully they can figure something out by then.
Old 04-28-2016, 03:55 PM   #17
"Mitch"
Been here a while

Quote:
Just talked to the TNP guy (referenced above) on the phone. It is $399 per State and made for true professional use (not sure what that mobile app fee of $99 is for). They are having a meeting Tuesday to talk about Current Trimble users and how they can offer a less expensive and less capable product that we are willing or likely to pay for.

Fortunately I am good with Trimble until September so hopefully they can figure something out by then.
I really like the app, and have several maps stored on their site. I am disappointed to hear it's going away. Hopefully they'll provide us with a solution.
Old 05-01-2016, 09:23 AM   #18
TH3G4DFLY
A Regular

Super Cool Since: Oct 2014
Locale: Tennessee
Postings: 57
TH3G4DFLY is on a distinguished road

No one is going to suggest Osmand? I love that app. I've loaded all my trip routes via google maps and the best thing....It can be used in airplane mode so your data doesn't get destroyed. I use it for all of my trips without any problem.
TH3G4DFLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 01:31 PM   #19
littlejon
KLR Enthusiast

Super Cool Since: Mar 2007
Locale: Lofall, WA
Postings: 1,128
littlejon will become famous soon enough

The Backcountry Navigator app for android is really good. (and not expensive)
littlejon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 03:02 PM   #20
Tumbleweed
LEVEL 3 STAFF

Super Cool Since: May 2005
Locale: 28:48 hrs East of Spoon Booty
Postings: 9,172
Tumbleweed is a glorious beacon of lightTumbleweed is a glorious beacon of lightTumbleweed is a glorious beacon of lightTumbleweed is a glorious beacon of lightTumbleweed is a glorious beacon of light

Recommend considering the Quadlock mounting system as an option. I like it a lot.
Tumbleweed - IBA #58468
'03 KLR650 "Fu Manchu" / '12 VStrom 650 Adv
Photobucket hosted Photo library is gone, account is closed.

"To travel is to live" Hans Christian Andersen
Tumbleweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links

Tags
cell, phone or gps, question