SiteLock
New GPS Needed - Page 2 - KLR650.NET Forums - Your Kawasaki KLR650 Forums Resource! - The Original KLR650 Forum!
KLR650.NET Forums - Your Kawasaki KLR650 Forums Resource! - The Original KLR650 Forum!
Go Back   KLR650.NET Forums - Your Kawasaki KLR650 Forums Resource! - The Original KLR650 Forum! > Off The Beaten Path > GPS: Equipment, Tracks and Places
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
GPS: Equipment, Tracks and Places Find the right GPS for you!

Old 01-23-2017, 10:18 PM   #21
littlejon
KLR Enthusiast

Super Cool Since: Mar 2007
Locale: Lofall, WA
Postings: 1,128
littlejon will become famous soon enough
Default Re: New GPS Needed

The COBDR looks like an awesome ride, and is on my bucket list.

I would start by downloading the file and viewing it on gpsvisualizerdotcom, a great website.

https://www.gpsvisualizer.com/display...98013-map.html

Then I would find every town along the way and see what amenities they have. Walmart,gas,hotel,grocery,(laundromats!)and campgrounds w/fees. In small towns many stores close as early a 6 pm. Research these things and put it in your GPS file (and maybe even on your paper maps).

Road conditions,
Find out how much of the route is pavement/gravel. Find paved routes to bypass gravel sections if needed. Look at the elevation of gravel roads, if they are steep I guarantee they will be tough as well.

weather- check the expected weather for the area, and know that higher elevations have much colder/unpredictable weather.

If you do all this research, and print out paper maps as well, you will find that your GPS just keeps you from making wrong turns.

That is all I use my GPS for!

Last edited by littlejon; 01-23-2017 at 10:37 PM.
littlejon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 10:41 PM   #22
dtedwards
A Regular

Super Cool Since: Jan 2016
Locale: Juneau, AK
Postings: 206
dtedwards is on a distinguished road

That's pretty much exactly what I've been doing. I just went through and color-coded the deviations so when I get to a fork that both directions are the route, I'll know which is the easy way, and which is the hard way. I may or may not go too far into the details. I'm letting somebody else do the planning for this trip, I just want to have my own personal backup.

I'm doing a trip down the Oregon coast next month. I think I'll set up a map for that to see how well BackCountry works for me. Even though it will be all road, I've got a whole bunch of stupid POIs I want to stop at so it should give me a decent idea of how it works.
'04 in "standard" Bedliner Black, ammo cans, EM Doohickey & Torsion Spring, EM fork brace, Top Gun 8Kg spring, Dirtracks crashbars, valves @ max spec, advanced exhaust timing... and a $40 Craigslist guitar
dtedwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 01-23-2017, 10:57 PM   #23
littlejon
KLR Enthusiast

The Oregon coast is incredible!!

GPS tech has got to the point that you can get turn by turn directions in your helmet.

"Turn in 500 ft"
"next gas 24 miles"

you can even ask "Siri, where is the closest motel" and get an answer (in your helmet).

my advice only applies to basic GPS use.
Old 02-08-2017, 01:07 PM   #24
UrKillinMeSmalls
A Regular

Super Cool Since: Jan 2017
Locale: Pacific Northwest
Postings: 118
UrKillinMeSmalls is on a distinguished road

So it sounds like the issues for anyone are (not in any order):
Cost verses the following...
Screen size
Battery life (or interaction)
Map clarity,visibility and detail while off road
Map availability
Voice commands/info
As I look for my first as well, other than my phone, am I forgetting anything else to take into consideration.
One question, is topo neccesary when in the wilderness, say Baja Peninsula desert? Obviously, the roads have no names and are more trails really but Im not sure they even show up.
Old 02-08-2017, 01:28 PM   #25
Robert Z
LEVEL 3 STAFF

Super Cool Since: Jan 2012
Locale: Avoiding Dysentery
Postings: 238
Robert Z is a name known to allRobert Z is a name known to allRobert Z is a name known to allRobert Z is a name known to allRobert Z is a name known to allRobert Z is a name known to all

I think everyone should know how to navigate via topo map.

The lines are there for several reasons, not the least of which is to show you terrain features you can use to triangulate position.

Add a compass to that topo map, and you can plot the fastest/easiest way out... which isn't always the same.

So, imo, yes, having topo marks, and knowing how to interpret them, can save you from some bad times.

As for GPS? I don't like it. It has it's uses, and I use it from time to time, but I will never rely on it away from civilization.

Give me a topo map and a compass. I'll get you anywhere you want to be, and away from anywhere you don't.
Blue KLR club member #243 Post a pic of your bike here, then pm me for membership. https://www.klr650.net/forums/showthr...light=blue+klr

I am a leaf on the wind, watch how I soar.
Robert Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 04:08 PM   #26
"Mitch"
Been here a while

Super Cool Since: Aug 2014
Locale: Iowa
Postings: 3,108
"Mitch" is just really nice"Mitch" is just really nice"Mitch" is just really nice"Mitch" is just really nice

I found the following site to be really helpful:

https://sites.google.com/a/gpskevina.../home/gps-help

I currently use a Zumo, but I am planning to do as Kevin suggests and run a Garmin GPSMAP 78 along with it when I go on rides like BDR's or the TWAT. Last year when I ran the TWAT it was annoying to have to regularly zoom in and then back out to see sections of the trail. If you run one unit with the big picture and the other unit with the closer detail I think it would be really helpful.

Regarding the GPSMAP 64 vs the 78, note what Kevin has to say about the plug. I have seen the 78 and it really is a nice durable unit.

Regarding the use of a cell phone, I have tried it and didn't care for it for a few reasons. Most importantly, if something happens to my cell phone while I am hundreds of miles from home, I'm screwed. So I prefer to keep my phone in my tank bag.

I will also note that last year one of the guys in our group had a brand new cell phone stop working. Turns out it was the vibration from bouncing along in a holder on the handlebars.
"Mitch" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 04:38 PM   #27
dtedwards
A Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by "Mitch" View Post

Regarding the use of a cell phone, I have tried it and didn't care for it for a few reasons. Most importantly, if something happens to my cell phone while I am hundreds of miles from home, I'm screwed. So I prefer to keep my phone in my tank bag.

I will also note that last year one of the guys in our group had a brand new cell phone stop working. Turns out it was the vibration from bouncing along in a holder on the handlebars.
I wouldn't even think of relying on a "cell phone" for handlebar mounted GPS duties and still being used as a phone. But, I come across old phones at work. Using one of them is fine because if it gets damaged, I've still got my phone. And if for some reason my real phone gets damaged, I can just put the SIM card into the "gps" and I'm good to go.

So for me, the benefits of using a phone are:
Cost (free)
Redundancy
And uh... I kept a phone out of the landfill so it's green or something.
'04 in "standard" Bedliner Black, ammo cans, EM Doohickey & Torsion Spring, EM fork brace, Top Gun 8Kg spring, Dirtracks crashbars, valves @ max spec, advanced exhaust timing... and a $40 Craigslist guitar
Old 02-08-2017, 04:44 PM   #28
dtedwards
A Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Z View Post
As for GPS? I don't like it. It has it's uses, and I use it from time to time, but I will never rely on it away from civilization.

Give me a topo map and a compass. I'll get you anywhere you want to be, and away from anywhere you don't.
*offer not valid in dense fog or clouds.

...which is why I got a backpacking GPS in the first place. Of course I had grandiose ideas of how it would aid me in backcountry navigation... but it turns out it didn't work the way I wanted it too. That being said, being able to pull the lat/long off the GPS and then plot it on my paper map saved my bacon when I got into a valley with near zero visibility.
Old 02-08-2017, 04:47 PM   #29
"Mitch"
Been here a while

"Mitch" is just really nice"Mitch" is just really nice"Mitch" is just really nice"Mitch" is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlejon View Post
The Oregon coast is incredible!!

GPS tech has got to the point that you can get turn by turn directions in your helmet.

"Turn in 500 ft"
"next gas 24 miles"

you can even ask "Siri, where is the closest motel" and get an answer (in your helmet).

my advice only applies to basic GPS use.
The Zumo provides those same turn by turn audio instructions on streets (routes), but I don't believe even the Montana will give you that on trails (tracks). You have to follow the little line on the screen.
Old 02-08-2017, 04:54 PM   #30
"Mitch"
Been here a while

Quote:
I think everyone should know how to navigate via topo map.

The lines are there for several reasons, not the least of which is to show you terrain features you can use to triangulate position.

Add a compass to that topo map, and you can plot the fastest/easiest way out... which isn't always the same.

So, imo, yes, having topo marks, and knowing how to interpret them, can save you from some bad times.

Okay you doomsday prepper, Alaskan Bush People weirdo.

Sponsored links
Old 02-08-2017, 06:35 PM   #31
Robert Z
LEVEL 3 STAFF

Super Cool Since: Jan 2012
Locale: Avoiding Dysentery
Postings: 238
Robert Z is a name known to allRobert Z is a name known to allRobert Z is a name known to allRobert Z is a name known to allRobert Z is a name known to allRobert Z is a name known to all

Quote:
Okay you doomsday prepper, Alaskan Bush People weirdo.

Huh? But... but... I SAID I use it SOMETIMES... just not when, you know... things REALLY MATTER!

And stuff...

Besides... GPS likes to steer a brothah wrong... maps don't yell at me when I make a wrong turn, then take me in a circle trying to find my way out of a neighborhood.

Seriously, happened in Diego... leaving the zoo with my daughter on the back, the gps got confused because there were two roads close together (interjection, pilot error, not gps error, but pilot blames technology) and it took me literally on a circle loop. Telling me "turn right" but it meant the SECOND right...

I finally ignored it, pointed my front tire at the setting sun and found my OWN damn way.

Yeah, I'm all for technology, and use it when I can, but sometimes, a piece of paper and a pencil are the still the best tools you can reach for...
Blue KLR club member #243 Post a pic of your bike here, then pm me for membership. https://www.klr650.net/forums/showthr...light=blue+klr

I am a leaf on the wind, watch how I soar.
Robert Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 06:42 PM   #32
UrKillinMeSmalls
A Regular

Super Cool Since: Jan 2017
Locale: Pacific Northwest
Postings: 118
UrKillinMeSmalls is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Huh? But... but... I SAID I use it SOMETIMES... just not when, you know... things REALLY MATTER!

And stuff...

Besides... GPS likes to steer a brothah wrong... maps don't yell at me when I make a wrong turn, then take me in a circle trying to find my way out of a neighborhood.

Seriously, happened in Diego... leaving the zoo with my daughter on the back, the gps got confused because there were two roads close together (interjection, pilot error, not gps error, but pilot blames technology) and it took me literally on a circle loop. Telling me "turn right" but it meant the SECOND right...

I finally ignored it, pointed my front tire at the setting sun and found my OWN damn way.

Yeah, I'm all for technology, and use it when I can, but sometimes, a piece of paper and a pencil are the still the best tools you can reach for...
You have a point.
Not only that but maps don't have that sexy english guy voice that makes my wife swoon but who is just pretentious... No I'm not bitter.
Old 02-08-2017, 06:46 PM   #33
"Mitch"
Been here a while

Quote:

And stuff...

Huh, what? Oh I'm sorry, I couldn't hear you. I was banging rocks together to start a fire.
Old 02-08-2017, 08:16 PM   #34
littlejon
KLR Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrKillinMeSmalls View Post
So it sounds like the issues for anyone are (not in any order):
Cost verses the following...
Screen size
Battery life (or interaction)
Map clarity,visibility and detail while off road
Map availability
Voice commands/info
As I look for my first as well, other than my phone, am I forgetting anything else to take into consideration.
One question, is topo neccesary when in the wilderness, say Baja Peninsula desert? Obviously, the roads have no names and are more trails really but Im not sure they even show up.
I dont find that topo maps are very useful on the gps. My paper maps are all topos though.
Maps- garmin maps cost extra. City navigator is essential for garmin units IMHO. and they arent 100% accurate. for off road, I've found them to be 80-90% accurate but missing details like gates and "private property" signs.
Ease of use. Garmin units are pretty easy to use, but basecamp takes a while to learn. Its a good program after you've figured it out, but it's not easy to learn.
Old 02-09-2017, 03:36 PM   #35
R/L

Super Cool Since: May 2010
Locale: SW Michigan
Postings: 808
R/L is on a distinguished road

Quote:

I currently use a Zumo, but I am planning to do as Kevin suggests and run a Garmin GPSMAP 78 along with it when I go on rides like BDR's or the TWAT. Last year when I ran the TWAT it was annoying to have to regularly zoom in and then back out to see sections of the trail. If you run one unit with the big picture and the other unit with the closer detail I think it would be really helpful.

Regarding the GPSMAP 64 vs the 78, note what Kevin has to say about the plug. I have seen the 78 and it really is a nice durable unit.

Mitch,

Thanks for the link. I'd looked at the GPSMAP 78 and did not consider it because it was described as a marine GPS. The link dispelled that thought. It is a lower cost to boot!

I'll be ordering one by spring. Had a minor financial set back last week. Beer fridge in the shop quit and I had to get another. Good news is we did not lose the meat in the freezer section.
Givi Crash Bars
Moab Shock
Moab Fork Spring
RaceTech Emulators
Sargent Low Seat
Thermo-Bob
WW 688
R/L is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 05:35 PM   #36
R/L

GPSMAP 78, Ram cradle, and serial charging cable arrived today.

I've just been exploring the menus and reading up on customization and maps available.

I think this will meet my needs nicely. I'll post some pic's on the KLR soon.

Thanks to all who provided input.
Givi Crash Bars
Moab Shock
Moab Fork Spring
RaceTech Emulators
Sargent Low Seat
Thermo-Bob
WW 688
Old 03-09-2017, 02:01 PM   #37
R/L

GPSMAP 78 mounted on my KLR.

[IMG][/IMG]

The mount consists of:

Holder: RAM-HOL-GA40U
Diamond plate 1" ball: RAM-B-238U
Medium Arm B-Socket: RAM-B-201U
Motorcycle Mount Base Kit: RAM-B-309-7U

Givi Crash Bars
Moab Shock
Moab Fork Spring
RaceTech Emulators
Sargent Low Seat
Thermo-Bob
WW 688
Old 03-09-2017, 03:19 PM   #38
"Mitch"
Been here a while

Looks awesome.....Gotta get one of those too!

As per my comments above, GPSKevin recommended that unit and also advocates running dual. Having run the TWAT twice with a Garmin Zumo I completely understand and appreciate why Kevin advocates for two units. At first I thought he was crazy, but having had the "fun" of following tracks on trails I now can see the benefit. You run the 78 in tight to follow the trails, and you run the second unit (my Zumo) with a wider view, which helps with the big picture.....the forest vs the trees.

I know you have not yet had time to run with the 78, but based on your initial review of the menu's etc. but are you impress with the quality of the unit, how rugged it is, the feel of the buttons and menus, etc. I know you made a few comments above....Tell me more so I can run out and spend more money on toys.
Old 03-10-2017, 07:59 AM   #39
R/L

Quote:
I know you have not yet had time to run with the 78, but based on your initial review of the menu's etc. but are you impress with the quality of the unit, how rugged it is, the feel of the buttons and menus, etc. I know you made a few comments above....Tell me more so I can run out and spend more money on toys.
This unit has a nice rugged feel and it meets my expectations for quality. The buttons have a nice tactile feel but they are a bit close together. Not a problem with my summer gloves, but my thicker winter gloves makes getting on the right one a bit of a challenge.

The menus weren't exactly intuitive at first, but after I ran through the GPSKevin suggested setup, I got the hang of it. There are a lot of features I've not touched on yet.

My next challenge is to learn how to down load and install some maps/tracks.
Givi Crash Bars
Moab Shock
Moab Fork Spring
RaceTech Emulators
Sargent Low Seat
Thermo-Bob
WW 688
Old 03-10-2017, 10:17 AM   #40
"Mitch"
Been here a while

Thanks for that. I have your list of stuff in an online shopping cart. I'll probably pull the trigger and give the dual GPS a try.

Sponsored links

Tags
gps, needed