SiteLock
Spending 2 weeks in Alaska on a KLR - Any Good Dirt Roads or - KLR650.NET Forums - Your Kawasaki KLR650 Forums Resource! - The Original KLR650 Forum!
KLR650.NET Forums - Your Kawasaki KLR650 Forums Resource! - The Original KLR650 Forum!
Go Back   KLR650.NET Forums - Your Kawasaki KLR650 Forums Resource! - The Original KLR650 Forum! > Regional Events, Upcoming Rides & Tech Days > United States
> Alaska
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-08-2014, 08:19 PM   #1
us3

Super Cool Since: Jun 2009
Locale: san diego
Postings: 421
us3 is on a distinguished road
Default Spending 2 weeks in Alaska on a KLR - Any Good Dirt Roads or

Hello

Two friends and I are spending two weeks in Alaska on KLR's. We have a plan but I'm looking for any good roads or trails that are not in the tourist guides.

We're roughly following the MotoQuest's Best of Alaska tour with adding the Arctic Circle and a day or two in the Wrangell St Elias park. (link to tour map below)

We are meeting Monday to plan the trip and I was hoping to add a trail or two along the way. Maybe up to a day out of the way for something good.

Please let me know of any cool roads or stuff we could see along our trip.

Thanks and happy riding (*pics and vids of the KLR riding we do in San Diego in the sig)

Matt

https://www.motoquest.com/guided-moto...st-of-alaska-8
us3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 01:49 AM   #2
Oversight99

Super Cool Since: Aug 2010
Locale: Eagle River, AK
Postings: 15
Oversight99 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Spending 2 weeks in Alaska on a KLR - Any Good Dirt Road

Hi Matt,

Alaska is awesome. I strongly recommend the trip to the arctic circle, it is a unique experience, but watch out for the trucks! They own that road (literally). Depending on weather, the road can be extremely muddy. They also water it for some types of construction. Be sure to stop at the restaurant just after the bridge over the Yukon River.

Be careful on that road and plan on washing your bike, all your gear, and yourself after. The road is made up an orange mud/dust.

As for other dirt roads, I'm too new to Alaska to know of others yet.

Chad
Sponsored links
Old 08-12-2014, 11:43 AM   #3
us3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oversight99 View Post
Hi Matt,

Alaska is awesome. I strongly recommend the trip to the arctic circle, it is a unique experience, but watch out for the trucks! They own that road (literally). Depending on weather, the road can be extremely muddy. They also water it for some types of construction. Be sure to stop at the restaurant just after the bridge over the Yukon River.

Be careful on that road and plan on washing your bike, all your gear, and yourself after. The road is made up an orange mud/dust.

As for other dirt roads, I'm too new to Alaska to know of others yet.

Chad

Sounds good Chad, thanks for the info

The Arctic Circle is planned for the trip so we'll see how that road is. We'll also check out that restaurant.

Have a good one

Matt
Old 08-12-2014, 12:06 PM   #4
SCREAMINSAL
KLR Enthusiast

Super Cool Since: Jul 2010
Locale: Prison
Postings: 1,517
SCREAMINSAL will become famous soon enoughSCREAMINSAL will become famous soon enough

Omg!

Watch out Alaska! Here comes Matt!

Is Jay going?

Any plans to modify your riding style? That bike has to last you two weeks. I can't imagine you on a rental I'm actually laughing my ass off at the thought of you riding a rental bike cuz you actually push the KLR waaaaay past it's design limits. Only a handful of guys know this.

You better take a GoPro and lotsa pics! Most guys just ride up and back, but I know your gonna do it right! Have a great trip and post some video so you can inspire other forum riders to actually go off-road! I'm jealous can't wait to read and see your ride report!
SCREAMINSAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 06:20 PM   #5
Beezerboy
KLR Enthusiast

Super Cool Since: Feb 2006
Locale: Alaska
Postings: 1,369
Beezerboy is on a distinguished road

Kennicott mine and of course, the Denali Highway.
Beezerboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 09:00 PM   #6
Beezerboy
KLR Enthusiast

I looked at your map.... the ride has Chitna on it..... Kennicott is 60 miles of dirt from there. no fuel in Chitna though, so top up at Kenny Lake (30m from Chitna) so 180 mile round trip on that leg. unless you have lots of time, I'd forget Fairbanks & take the Denali from Cantwell to Paxon. going north of the Alaska range (a few miles from Cantwell) the scenery turns to rolling hills & muskeg... pretty bland looking really. ya, the domes around Fairbanks have some nice wide vistas, especially looking back at Denali, but the scenes don't really change for a long ways... until well north of the Yukon & getting into the Brooks range. if you do the Denali Hiway the road north between Paxon and Delta is scenic though.

Homer is down the Kenai peninsula (south of Cooper Landing)... you will pass through Anchor Point which is as far west as you can drive in this hemisphere.

generally, what I tell people to do to maximize AK time is go from Anch to Cantwell & do the Denali highway (130 miles, 110 is dirt), then go to Delta from Paxon if time allows but definitely go Chitna, Kennicott (Copper River). Valdez.... maybe, not much to see there but Thompson pass is pretty. in any case, the ride from Copper country back to Anchorage is very scenic in places. then from Anch, do the Kenai with stops at Seward, Hope, and Homer

ping me when you know your rout & times, I might have a few other things to add

Last edited by Beezerboy; 08-20-2014 at 09:09 PM.
Old 08-20-2014, 10:19 PM   #7
us3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beezerboy View Post
I looked at your map.... the ride has Chitna on it..... Kennicott is 60 miles of dirt from there. no fuel in Chitna though, so top up at Kenny Lake (30m from Chitna) so 180 mile round trip on that leg. unless you have lots of time, I'd forget Fairbanks & take the Denali from Cantwell to Paxon. going north of the Alaska range (a few miles from Cantwell) the scenery turns to rolling hills & muskeg... pretty bland looking really. ya, the domes around Fairbanks have some nice wide vistas, especially looking back at Denali, but the scenes don't really change for a long ways... until well north of the Yukon & getting into the Brooks range. if you do the Denali Hiway the road north between Paxon and Delta is scenic though.

Homer is down the Kenai peninsula (south of Cooper Landing)... you will pass through Anchor Point which is as far west as you can drive in this hemisphere.

generally, what I tell people to do to maximize AK time is go from Anch to Cantwell & do the Denali highway (130 miles, 110 is dirt), then go to Delta from Paxon if time allows but definitely go Chitna, Kennicott (Copper River). Valdez.... maybe, not much to see there but Thompson pass is pretty. in any case, the ride from Copper country back to Anchorage is very scenic in places. then from Anch, do the Kenai with stops at Seward, Hope, and Homer

ping me when you know your rout & times, I might have a few other things to add

Great stuff, thanks man!

The posted trip is a 9 day trip, we are doing that roughly but spending 14 days and branching off to some of the locations you mentioned. (we have plenty of time) That mine looks awesome and I've actually saw pics of it before.

We plan on camping off the bikes on the Denali and along the way. I've read and heard of bear attach's, what's your take on it? (we'll be camping several days off the highway throughout the state) We are going prepared with good camping skills, a trip wire alarm, bear spray and a 44. Anything else I should know?

I'm leaving Saturday morning at 6:30am so if you have any other trails or stuff to see, please post it up. I plan on doing a small trip report, I'll post it here as well.

Thanks again for the info

Matt
Old 08-20-2014, 11:16 PM   #8
Beezerboy
KLR Enthusiast

get an Alaska Gazeteer from DeLorme... they have them in the big grocery stores if nothing else.

there are plenty of places to camp on the Denali, but there are a couple that stand out. one is close to Cantwell... about 10-12 miles in where the raft launch is/was (the sign was washed away this spring) it's an obvious spot where the river is almost on the road.... about couple hundred yards from there is a jeep trail in the brush that does a couple switch backs to a terrace above the river. my other favorite is at the Big Susitna River crossing up Valdez Creek. there are some roads & trails in the area there too from the old Valdez Creek mine days.

I know lots of places.... some I don't post because I'm a fun hog, some I can tell you about but you prolly can't find it without help. tell me what areas you plan to camp maybe I got somethin' for ya
Sponsored links

Tags
alaska, dirt, good, klr, roads, spending, weeks