SiteLock
250 blown up? - KLR650.NET Forums - Your Kawasaki KLR650 Forums Resource! - The Original KLR650 Forum!
KLR650.NET Forums - Your Kawasaki KLR650 Forums Resource! - The Original KLR650 Forum!
Go Back   KLR650.NET Forums - Your Kawasaki KLR650 Forums Resource! - The Original KLR650 Forum! > Other Kawasaki Motorcycles > KLR250 and Super Sherpa Main Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
KLR250 and Super Sherpa Main Discussion

Old 03-06-2017, 03:42 PM   #1
wesson123970
Occasional Poster

Super Cool Since: Mar 2017
Locale: South Hill, VA
Postings: 1
wesson123970 is on a distinguished road
Default 250 blown up?

Hi guys,

Well, i think i've probably goofed big time buying an '01 KLR 250. I only paid $250 for it thankfully. The guy that had it said it had lost compression over time and wouldnt crank.The guy really talked in circles - Couldn't tell if he was dumb or just wanting to screw me or both. i did get from him that he had been on the interstate a lot and it wasn't fast enough. Upon inspection i noticed that it had 0 compression...turned over like the plug wasnt in,but it was in!. When i checked the valves, i found they were all 4 very tight - couldnt get a feeler guage in any of them. Adjusted them all, cleaned the carb and put in fresh gas. Finally it cranked, but didnt sound right - almost like a 2 stroke. I let it warm up, but i could barely give it any gas w/out it bogging. I was able to kind of keep juicing the gas a little more each time to go up to fairly high rpm (nowhere near enough to blow it - i've ridden for 30yrs). It was smoking and sounded kind of 2-stroke like to me. Then it just cut off and wouldnt crank back. I noticed when i tried to crank it again, it felt like it had before - no compression. I waited about 10 minutes and tried again. Same thing.
Anyone know what i'm looking at here? I really think this guy dogged it on the interstate and it got way too hot. Warped head? Really regretting i didnt wait and get one that was running. Had to take a chance!
Any help/ideas are greatly appreciated!
wesson123970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 11:30 AM   #2
Mr. Soup

Super Cool Since: Dec 2016
Locale: troy missouri
Postings: 179
Mr. Soup is on a distinguished road
Default Re: 250 blown up?

Sounds like a very worn out cylinder

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk
Mr. Soup is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 03-18-2017, 01:25 PM   #3
kidflyr

Super Cool Since: Mar 2012
Locale: Ukiah, California
Postings: 418
kidflyr is on a distinguished road

Try kicking the bike over with the Kawasaki Automatic Compression Release (KACR) spring removed from the exhaust cam. The KACR normally serves to relieve some compression when starting by cracking open one exhaust valve. This may help get a clearer picture of what compression you have, or further confirm a lack of compression. If you haven't confirmed correct camshaft timing, do that while pulling off the KACR spring (a dental pick is helpful in this task). With results of a compression test with the KACR disabled by removing the spring, it may be time to dive in and check out the piston, rings and valves.

If you get into it to inspect and measure the cylinder, you can inform your search looking at options for an overbore piston. Kawasaki has or had 2 sizes of slight overbore piston for addressing a worn cylinder, Wiseco makes 2 overbore sizes with slightly increased compression (11.5:1 as opposed to 11:1 stock) listed for the KSF250 Mojave ATV which shares many engine parts with the KLR250, and from Cycle Works Racing in Pennsylvania there is a 280cc piston (11.8:1), also listed for the KSF250 and is manufactured by JE Pistons. I have the Cycle Works Racing 280cc setup and enjoy it pretty well.

Support this awesome resource! Go Premium!

1993 KLR250 * Titanium tibia * Kenda K761 tires * Airbox de-snorkled & opened up * PCV valve * UNI bulk foam filter * Modified exhaust port * 38pilot/135main * Capacitors in parallel with battery * LEDs all around * Jeffsaline's headlight relay * 16 tooth countershaft sprocket/40 tooth rear * WOLO "Bad Boy" horn
kidflyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 07:39 AM   #4
laylow
A Regular

Super Cool Since: Jun 2013
Locale: maryland
Postings: 40
laylow is on a distinguished road

I removed the KACR system completely as it was not needed and to me it was just another weak link in this motor.. I replaced my piston and rings as well.. the lil klr is a awesome bike and is very capable of doing highway speeds once all the weak links are taken care of... If it's running now I would do a compression check... if the valves where that tight the motor was probably ran too lean and it cooked the piston and rings... possibly worn the cylinder as well.. when I replaced my piston I went with a slightly bigger one from Wiseco (as kidflyr mentioned) and had my cylinder bored... I also had issues with my valves and I replaced them with Kibblewhite valves...there was some other issues too but for a bike that was running for $950 and made me $12,000 it is a definite keeper
laylow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 08:27 PM   #5
TownsendsFJR1300
KLR Enthusiast

Super Cool Since: May 2008
Locale: SW Florida
Postings: 1,296
TownsendsFJR1300 is on a distinguished road

Sounds like the top end is toast and a full inspection needed.

We already know it has little to no compression.

Doing a leak down test on the engine (before dis-assembly) would give you an idea of what's going on inside the engine...

I see the head coming off at a minimum.

2007 Yamaha FZ6

My post count doesn't change!
TownsendsFJR1300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links

Tags
250, blown