SiteLock
Head work advice - KLR650.NET Forums - Your Kawasaki KLR650 Forums Resource! - The Original KLR650 Forum!
KLR650.NET Forums - Your Kawasaki KLR650 Forums Resource! - The Original KLR650 Forum!
Go Back   KLR650.NET Forums - Your Kawasaki KLR650 Forums Resource! - The Original KLR650 Forum! > Other Kawasaki Motorcycles > KLR250 and Super Sherpa Main Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
KLR250 and Super Sherpa Main Discussion

Old 04-30-2017, 10:16 PM   #1
Cdyoung1985
A Regular

Super Cool Since: Feb 2017
Locale: Hamilton mi
Postings: 26
Cdyoung1985 is on a distinguished road
Default Head work advice

So I've gotta get head work done, one intake valve is sunk into the seat pretty far. Anybody know what that usually runs? Anything the bikes respond well to while they're in there? Wouldn't mind getting a few more ponies out of the old klr when reassembling.

One other thing I'm wondering, rather related to power, gearing. Right now I know I can hit 80, but that's about red line. I want more get up and go, low end torque. Figure I need to be able to do to without rattling the thing apart for at least 20 minutes at a time. Figure if I gear to where I top at about to that shouldn't be too bad. Any clue what gears that would take, and if that's a big enough change to really notice? I think each tooth you drop knocks off only a couple mph? I've never geared a bike before...
Cdyoung1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 08:22 PM   #2
TownsendsFJR1300
KLR Enthusiast

Super Cool Since: May 2008
Locale: SW Florida
Postings: 1,296
TownsendsFJR1300 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Head work advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdyoung1985 View Post
So I've gotta get head work done, one intake valve is sunk into the seat pretty far. Anybody know what that usually runs? Anything the bikes respond well to while they're in there? Wouldn't mind getting a few more ponies out of the old klr when reassembling.

One other thing I'm wondering, rather related to power, gearing. Right now I know I can hit 80, but that's about red line. I want more get up and go, low end torque. Figure I need to be able to do to without rattling the thing apart for at least 20 minutes at a time. Figure if I gear to where I top at about to that shouldn't be too bad. Any clue what gears that would take, and if that's a big enough change to really notice? I think each tooth you drop knocks off only a couple mph? I've never geared a bike before...
The price on a valve job will depend on what they have to do to it. Valve seats, stems, seals, etc...

Put a larger sprocket on the rear if you want more low end grunt, at the expense of top speed...

2007 Yamaha FZ6

My post count doesn't change!
TownsendsFJR1300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 05-02-2017, 11:11 PM   #3
Cdyoung1985
A Regular

Super Cool Since: Feb 2017
Locale: Hamilton mi
Postings: 26
Cdyoung1985 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by TownsendsFJR1300 View Post
The price on a valve job will depend on what they have to do to it. Valve seats, stems, seals, etc...

Put a larger sprocket on the rear if you want more low end grunt, at the expense of top speed...
Any clue how many teeth would equal how much of a change in top speed? In other words, if I jump from a 44 to a 46, how much I'd lose? Trying to figure out basically how big I can go before limiting it too much to still do 60 without winding it out.
Cdyoung1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 06:30 AM   #4
TownsendsFJR1300
KLR Enthusiast

Super Cool Since: May 2008
Locale: SW Florida
Postings: 1,296
TownsendsFJR1300 is on a distinguished road

44 to 46 isn't that big a difference and no I don't know what the difference in speed would be.

I'd get the bike back together first and see how much power it has at speed. It may be enough for your needs...

If not, a larger rear sprocket is cheap enough. Don't know if your current chain will be long enough thou..

I found back thru 1990- 2007, my old 1989 and 2005 250's were faster than most cars in
traffic, (I prefer to stay AHEAD of traffic).

2007 Yamaha FZ6

My post count doesn't change!
TownsendsFJR1300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links

Tags
advice, head, work