SiteLock
KLR250 not starting - faulty KACR - KLR650.NET Forums - Your Kawasaki KLR650 Forums Resource! - The Original KLR650 Forum!
KLR650.NET Forums - Your Kawasaki KLR650 Forums Resource! - The Original KLR650 Forum!
Go Back   KLR650.NET Forums - Your Kawasaki KLR650 Forums Resource! - The Original KLR650 Forum! > Other Kawasaki Motorcycles > KLR250 and Super Sherpa Main Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
KLR250 and Super Sherpa Main Discussion

Old 05-19-2017, 02:55 AM   #1
gkmaia
Occasional Poster

Super Cool Since: May 2017
Locale: New Zealand
Postings: 3
gkmaia is on a distinguished road
Default KLR250 not starting - faulty KACR

Just got a 2001 KLR250. It has a broken KACR, so I removed the swing bit to run some tests while I wait for a new camshaft to arrive.

Basically my problem is that I canít get it to start. I did read not having a KACR makes it hard to start, but not impossible I guess.

Things I tested so far:
- Has good blue spark on crank. Both on spark tester and spark plug.
- Timing is as per manual. No timing issues.
- Carbs have been striped and cleaned.
- Using brand new petrol
- Compression test. On good crank from TDC gives 60psi. 3 good cranks in sequence gives around 100psi

It seems I canít get petrol inside the cylinder. After a few cranks when I remove the spark plug it is dry. It is dry if I have coil connected or not.

Air box is not connected to carb, not sure it is would have much affect in the situation.

I could get one good combustion when sprayed starter fluid directly into the intake manifold.

Did close the carb intake and gave it a few cranks to see if vacuum would suck some petrol out of the carbs and it did. Carbs seem to be clean.

Could notice some pop-back on the carbs. Not sure what that means if I do have good compression, correct timing and correct valve gaps.

Is there anything else would you guys recommend trying? Or it is useless to try until I install the new camshaft?

Last edited by gkmaia; 05-19-2017 at 02:58 AM.
gkmaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 11:15 AM   #2
Knobs-on-Asphalt

Super Cool Since: Apr 2017
Locale: NJ, USA
Postings: 15
Knobs-on-Asphalt is on a distinguished road
Default Re: KLR250 not starting - faulty KACR

I would guess the KACR and the cam has nothing to do directly with your problem.
From what you are describing, it seems like the problem might be related to the tuning of the carb.. Have you checked and adjusted the jets, idle screw, choke control, etc., and tried different variations?

Another thing is that if the bike has been sitting for a while, even a couple months, it can be VERY hard to start, even if the system works well. Have you tried push-starting it?

Also not sure if you know already, but when replacing a cam it is recommended to always replace the rocker also, so that excessive wear is not caused on the new cam from the "memory" left in the old rocker. Since it's the exhaust cam you will also have to match the cam and rocker with the "A","B","C","D" marking it has.
Still, I would definitely advise you try to get it started while the old cam is still in place. It's nice to save $250.00 on parts, when possible, and I bet the old one is just fine.

By the way, welcome to the forums! I too, am new here.
Knobs-on-Asphalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 05-21-2017, 05:23 PM   #3
gkmaia
Occasional Poster

Super Cool Since: May 2017
Locale: New Zealand
Postings: 3
gkmaia is on a distinguished road
Default Re: KLR250 not starting - faulty KACR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knobs-on-Asphalt View Post
I would guess the KACR and the cam has nothing to do directly with your problem.
From what you are describing, it seems like the problem might be related to the tuning of the carb.. Have you checked and adjusted the jets, idle screw, choke control, etc., and tried different variations?

Another thing is that if the bike has been sitting for a while, even a couple months, it can be VERY hard to start, even if the system works well. Have you tried push-starting it?

Also not sure if you know already, but when replacing a cam it is recommended to always replace the rocker also, so that excessive wear is not caused on the new cam from the "memory" left in the old rocker. Since it's the exhaust cam you will also have to match the cam and rocker with the "A","B","C","D" marking it has.
Still, I would definitely advise you try to get it started while the old cam is still in place. It's nice to save $250.00 on parts, when possible, and I bet the old one is just fine.

By the way, welcome to the forums! I too, am new here.
Thanks for the reply mate. I put the engine apart to check valves leak or bent. Would not make sense to be as I got compression. No leaks, timing and clearance was correct.

For the I tested blockage with my vacuum. It sucks petrol from pilot, idle and choke circuits. I am also getting idle a bit rich to help.

But what bothers me is the fact that my cylinders are not sucking petrol. Considering carbs are fine and compression is fine. I cannot understand what is going on.

The other thing is, when close the intake with my hands I can feel air blowing out from the intake and then suction afterwards in every compression cycle. Is that normal?
gkmaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links

Tags
faulty, kacr, klr250, starting