SiteLock
Buying a KLR in Anchorage (help?) - KLR650.NET Forums - Your Kawasaki KLR650 Forums Resource! - The Original KLR650 Forum!
KLR650.NET Forums - Your Kawasaki KLR650 Forums Resource! - The Original KLR650 Forum!
Go Back   KLR650.NET Forums - Your Kawasaki KLR650 Forums Resource! - The Original KLR650 Forum! > Regional Events, Upcoming Rides & Tech Days > United States
> Alaska
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-05-2011, 12:35 AM   #1
AlaskaIsCold
A Regular

Super Cool Since: Sep 2010
Locale: Anchorage, AK
Postings: 32
AlaskaIsCold is on a distinguished road
Default Buying a KLR in Anchorage (help?)

Hi everyone!!

So yes I am working on my Senior Thesis for my BFA at UAA (which happens to be a Gallery Show because my primary emphasis is on photography) And I was wanting to buy a KLR 650 so that I can drive around Canada and lower 48 in the last half of summer so that I can collect enough images to full up the gallery, I donít need a bike that is farkled to the max. In reality I just want a reliable KLR that has the doohickey upgrade and maybe the thermabob upgrade as well. Good condition and relativity low miles ( well as low as can be expected ) However Iím not really made out of money and when I factor in how much insurance is going to cost. I can really only afford 3800-4200 dollars. Is this enough to get me the bike I need to finish my Senior Thesis? Where could I go in anchorage to buy such a bike? I could get it from lower 48 and then drive it all the way back up but I really want to buy it up here so I have to deal with less paperwork for regestration. What do you think?

--Chris
AlaskaIsCold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 02:00 PM   #2
Skyd1v
A Regular

Super Cool Since: Mar 2008
Locale: Anchorage, AK
Postings: 131
Skyd1v is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Buying a KLR in Anchorage (help?)

In this case craigslist is your friend. I see them listed right in your price range - about one a month would be my guess. Even if you had to do the upgrades yourself after purchasing they aren't that expensive and there are enough of us owners around willing to supply tools and advice.

As far as insurance goes...I guess that depends on a lot of factors, but I know as a middle-aged dude with no tickets/accidents in 23 years I pay $130.00 a year for 2 bikes. Almost ridiculously cheap compared to what I pay on the 4 wheeled vehicles.

Good luck.

"And by "kicked in the head", I mean kicked in the head."
Moosekiller - 2011
Skyd1v is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 02-18-2011, 03:29 PM   #3
AKAirborne
A Regular

Super Cool Since: Apr 2010
Locale: Palmer, Alaska
Postings: 21
AKAirborne is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Buying a KLR in Anchorage (help?)

When are you looking to buy? I was thinking of selling my '09 toward the end of the summer. It will probably have around 5000 miles by then, but I have not do the "Doo" or thermobob.

Tags
anchorage, buying, klr