SiteLock
Trails and/or places to ride in alaska - KLR650.NET Forums - Your Kawasaki KLR650 Forums Resource! - The Original KLR650 Forum!
KLR650.NET Forums - Your Kawasaki KLR650 Forums Resource! - The Original KLR650 Forum!
Go Back   KLR650.NET Forums - Your Kawasaki KLR650 Forums Resource! - The Original KLR650 Forum! > Regional Events, Upcoming Rides & Tech Days > United States
> Alaska
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 10-01-2009, 09:16 PM   #1
freshrider
Occasional Poster

Super Cool Since: Oct 2009
Locale: Anchorage, AK
Postings: 2
freshrider is on a distinguished road
Default Trails and/or places to ride in alaska

hey bought a 2006 kl650 wanted to test it on some trails or anything similar, does anyone know of any good places in/around/close to anchorage? Im fairly new to riding so looking to start off easy but open to any challenges. thanks
freshrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 02:58 AM   #2
akrider1
Occasional Poster

Super Cool Since: Sep 2009
Locale: Alaska
Postings: 6
akrider1 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Trails and/or places to ride in alaska

be able to help in fairbanks area. next summer will be going all over the state (road and trail system). how's the weather down there?
akrider1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 10-09-2009, 07:24 PM   #3
freshrider
Occasional Poster

Super Cool Since: Oct 2009
Postings: 2
freshrider is on a distinguished road

Rain rain rain...some snow on the tops, you guys buried yet?
freshrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 01:10 AM   #4
akrider1
Occasional Poster

Super Cool Since: Sep 2009
Postings: 6
akrider1 is on a distinguished road

was in the 50's today and not a drop of water
akrider1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 07:53 PM   #5
Skyd1v
A Regular

Super Cool Since: Mar 2008
Postings: 131
Skyd1v is on a distinguished road

Kind of a late response, I know, but some decent trail riding for the KLR can be found out at Jim Creek. The trails down to the river are easily within the bikes ability but still technical enough to be fun. Word of warning, though, when the trails are wet/muddy the stock tires don't do very well. I found that when I switched from the stock Dunlops to the more aggressive Kendas it got a lot less scary crossing the mud pits.

Riding the wet sand next to the river turned out to be excellent training for winter riding on studded tires as well. Both types of riding require smooth inputs and no sudden acceleration/turns/braking.

Remember to grease your chain up good before heading out there, and wash everything after you are done. That stuff isn't really "sand" but glacial silt, and left to its own devices will tear the cr@p out of any moving parts if you let it sit in there too long.

Blue skies/

"And by "kicked in the head", I mean kicked in the head."
Moosekiller - 2011
Skyd1v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 02:53 PM   #6
Alcan Rider

Super Cool Since: Dec 2004
Locale: Slana, Alaska
Postings: 379
Alcan Rider is on a distinguished road

Another belated reply, as I just discovered this "Alaska" forum...

As Skyd1v mentioned, there is some good trail riding in the Palmer-Butte area. The Valley is much better than Los Anchorage for off-road adventures. There are trails around Sutton, too, that are pretty good. You might check out King River up that way. Another great place for a KLR is Hatcher Pass. You can stay on the road or go off on one of the side roads that can give you plenty of challenge and practice.
Tons of Alaska photos at: https://alaskajack.smugmug.com/
Alcan Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 02:22 PM   #7
akwatercraft
A Regular

Super Cool Since: Jun 2008
Locale: alaska
Postings: 190
akwatercraft is on a distinguished road

i am late also,,, mile 25 of the seward has a trail that goes above tree line awesome view but it is steep narrow and is snowed in till at least june one of my favorite spots though

get it wet and play with it
akwatercraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 07:26 AM   #8
klrAlaska

Super Cool Since: Dec 2008
Locale: Anchorage,Alaska
Postings: 511
klrAlaska will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by akwatercraft View Post
mile 25 of the seward has a trail that goes above tree line awesome view but it is steep narrow and is snowed in till at least june one of my favorite spots though
My son and I thinking of riding down to Seward and/or Hope this weekend, from Anchorage. Anyone have any suggestions for interesting side roads on the way? That one at mile 25 sounds good but it would still be snowed in. Any others?

Gary
Old 05-27-2010, 05:11 PM   #9
akwatercraft
A Regular

Super Cool Since: Jun 2008
Locale: alaska
Postings: 190
akwatercraft is on a distinguished road

i havent been up the mile 25 trail yet but there is a over look off nash road that is cool we were watching sea lions eat reds yesterday. the exit glacier road is open so you can go right up to the glacier and walk on it,,, there is a small trail called the ididarod that goes aways into the woods that isnt to technical if you wanted to try that also. i will be at the train depot if you want to stop by. train comes in at 100 so i am busy then but can talk after or during the day

get it wet and play with it
akwatercraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 02:39 AM   #10
klrAlaska

Super Cool Since: Dec 2008
Locale: Anchorage,Alaska
Postings: 511
klrAlaska will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by akwatercraft View Post
i havent been up the mile 25 trail yet but there is a over look off nash road that is cool we were watching sea lions eat reds yesterday. the exit glacier road is open so you can go right up to the glacier and walk on it,,, there is a small trail called the ididarod that goes aways into the woods that isnt to technical if you wanted to try that also. i will be at the train depot if you want to stop by. train comes in at 100 so i am busy then but can talk after or during the day
Thanks akwatercraft, We'll check out the nash road, I'd heard that some reds were in. Maybe we'll go see Exit Glacier too, Ryan hasn't been there since he was little. If we can we'll stop and say hi.

Gary
Sponsored links
Old 06-29-2010, 06:11 PM   #11
l0rdtw34k
A Regular

Super Cool Since: Jun 2009
Postings: 22
l0rdtw34k is on a distinguished road

Another late reply, but better late than never, eh?

Anyhoo, there's a pull-off at Tern Lake that has an entrance to the Old Sterling Hwy. I've been a little ways down it and it was a lot of fun. I'd love to hit it again with a few others, and my 14 tooth sprocket.

It looks like there's a couple of options on where to go with it. It meets up with Quartz Creek Rd and goes back onto the real highway if you just want a short little detour.

The interesting option that I would really be keen to explore is where the Old Sterling meets up with Crescent Creek Trail. I have no idea what the trail looks like, but it winds clear around through the mountains, past a number of lakes, and then back onto the Seward Highway at Upper Trail Lake.

Here's the link to the intersection of the Old Sterling Hwy and Crescent Creek Trail: https://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&ie...40512&t=h&z=15

Follow the Old Sterling Hwy to the NNE, and you'll see where it "starts" near Tern Lake. (The Old Sterling is labeled as "Jeep Trail")

Following Crescent Creek Trail to the NE, you'll see the long and most likely adventurous trail that I am determined to explore.

Quartz Creek Road meets up with the highway to the SW.

If anyone is interested in seeing what's there, please let me know. Maybe I'll start a thread to coordinate something?

I have NO idea how technical it will get, what we'll find, or if it's even possible and passable. (Good thing I chose a KLR, 'cause I'm GOING to find out )
l0rdtw34k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 05:09 PM   #12
ak_flyfisher_ak
A Regular

Super Cool Since: Apr 2008
Postings: 155
ak_flyfisher_ak is on a distinguished road

Tweak - I'd be interested if we can work out a time - in-laws are in town starting tomorrow, and it's a busy weekend coming up, but if we can manage to sneak it in I'd be game. Tobias has his KLR up for sale, but as long as it's still his, I'm sure he'd be game too... again, if we can arrange the time. PM sent.

ff

Edit: Now, looking at the map, I've been up that trail a little way, but was headed back to ANC when I found it so didn't have much time to keep going... If I recall I think I went a mile or two past the end of the 'maintained road.' It's do-able... not sure how far.

Last edited by ak_flyfisher_ak; 07-06-2010 at 05:11 PM.
ak_flyfisher_ak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 10:58 PM   #13
Metalcarver
Occasional Poster

Super Cool Since: May 2010
Locale: Nikiski, Alaska
Postings: 7
Metalcarver is on a distinguished road

I don't believe the Crescent Creek trail is for motorized travel. I've been on the trail you mentioned and past the head of Crescent Lake (south side) it's pretty overgrown, and past the first pass to Kenai Lake it's more of a rumor. I'm pretty sure the Carter Lake side is foot only though part of it used to be a road.

The snug harbor road (first right turn heading south across the Kenai River bridge at Cooper landing is a very pretty 12 mile in side trip. There used to be an access road from the dam at Cooper Lake down Cooper Creek to the Kenai River & would come out at Cooper Landing. Would require some scouting but it shows up on the Google maps.
Metalcarver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 02:51 PM   #14
Metalcarver
Occasional Poster

Super Cool Since: May 2010
Locale: Nikiski, Alaska
Postings: 7
Metalcarver is on a distinguished road

Oops. That's the first left turn after crossing the Kenai River bridge at Cooper Landing heading south. I'm always headed north there. Just a dirt road so not very challenging but very pretty.
https://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sour...45447&t=h&z=15
You can follow the Snug Harbor road all the way to Cooper Lake. Some years ago I drove a 4X along the shore to the dam and that should still be good since it's a fishing lake and fishermen are almost as tenacious as geriatric bikers. Anyway the Cooper Dam road might be doable if it connects around the dam (still) look here:
https://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sour...45447&t=h&z=15

Not very high res I'm afraid.
Metalcarver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 12:53 PM   #15
l0rdtw34k
A Regular

Super Cool Since: Jun 2009
Postings: 22
l0rdtw34k is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metalcarver View Post
I don't believe the Crescent Creek trail is for motorized travel. . . ..
Yes, it's closed. I was down on the Peninsula this weekend and decided to do a little scouting while there. Crescent Creek Trail is closed to motorized vehicles from May 1 to November 30.

On the flip side, as I was exploring the roads around Quartz Creek I noticed a few other trails that would be ethical for riding. There were a couple of power line trails that looked real promising, and a few miscellaneous.

It looks like it would be a lot of fun to camp at Quartz Creek for a weekend to explore all of the smaller trails. There would always be the Old Sterling to play on as well.

Yep, I'm gonna have to do it. It sounds like too much fun. Sometime in August would be perfect, because then the Dollies should be hitting beads.
l0rdtw34k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 02:20 AM   #16
Thatguy
A Regular

Super Cool Since: May 2009
Postings: 179
Thatguy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by freshrider View Post
hey bought a 2006 kl650 wanted to test it on some trails or anything similar, does anyone know of any good places in/around/close to anchorage? Im fairly new to riding so looking to start off easy but open to any challenges. thanks
Hatcher's Pass is close and a good days ride. Not tough by any means and you can go off on the side trails if you want some tougher stuff. Petersville Rd over in Trapper Creek is a good road too and don't forget Burma Rd towards Big Lake. I havent been on Burma myself but I hear its good. I just wnet down to Hope last week and rode the Palmer Creek Rd and was in great shape, wished it was more soupy and muddy as it would have been more fun.
Thatguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links

Tags
alaska, and or or, places, ride, trails