SiteLock
Checking setups - KLR650.NET Forums - Your Kawasaki KLR650 Forums Resource! - The Original KLR650 Forum!
KLR650.NET Forums - Your Kawasaki KLR650 Forums Resource! - The Original KLR650 Forum!
Go Back   KLR650.NET Forums - Your Kawasaki KLR650 Forums Resource! - The Original KLR650 Forum! > Regional Events, Upcoming Rides & Tech Days > United States
> Alaska
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 11-28-2009, 04:59 AM   #1
Thatguy
A Regular

Super Cool Since: May 2009
Locale: Alaska
Postings: 179
Thatguy is on a distinguished road
Default Checking setups

Hey guys I am wondering what side racks you guys have. I am looking into buying some hard cased panniers but I haven't decided. Looking for input/pics/seeing in person from the guys here.

Thanks
Thatguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 02:46 PM   #2
AK Charlie

Super Cool Since: Aug 2008
Locale: Homer, Alaska
Postings: 287
AK Charlie is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Checking setups

I've had aluminum box's for about 8 yrs. I totalled my bike in Aug, including the box's. I've since bought soft bag's. The metal box's got on my nerves. There was always something inside rattling, banging or making somekind of noise. Haven't had opportunity yet to travel with soft bag's but I know I'll like them better. I bought a set from Barb (Alaska Leather). They are a lot less expensive than metal and I think more versatile.

Wherebouts in AK are you?

Charlie
AK Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 12-05-2009, 02:52 PM   #3
Scott_Rides_Again
Been here a while

Super Cool Since: Apr 2007
Locale: 410m N, a smidgen W of Spoonbooty
Postings: 15,633
Scott_Rides_Again is a glorious beacon of lightScott_Rides_Again is a glorious beacon of lightScott_Rides_Again is a glorious beacon of lightScott_Rides_Again is a glorious beacon of lightScott_Rides_Again is a glorious beacon of light

Happy trails racks. I like the bar that connects both sides. Excellent armor.

I went with the NelsonRiggs CL850 soft bags.

https://www.klr650.net/forums/showthread.php?t=28343
Scott_Rides_Again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 02:09 AM   #4
Thatguy
A Regular

Super Cool Since: May 2009
Postings: 179
Thatguy is on a distinguished road

Thanks guys, I am in Anchorage, eastside. What I gather most side racks can be used for different cases such as HT racks, Caribou luggage. Do I have that correctly? I plan on spending the dough on some aluminum boxes and figure I'd get what they recommended. Hell I have even forgot the point of my thread!
Thatguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 01:41 PM   #5
rainmaster
A Regular

Super Cool Since: Oct 2008
Locale: N.E. Georgia Mountains
Postings: 58
rainmaster is on a distinguished road

H/T rack and these Army surplus store boxes. They are aluminum/fiberglass and water tight. Bought the boxes for $25 each, can't beat the price.

2006 KLR 650-Red/Silver
2009 Kawasaki Vulcan 500 (Wife's Bike)
rainmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 01:45 PM   #6
willys
Been here a while

Super Cool Since: Jan 2006
Locale: padded room
Postings: 12,158
willys is on a distinguished road

https://www.packratadventuregear.com/

Problem solved!

Best, strongest rack on the market IMHO....love mine...I even tow my trailer using it!
willys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 02:12 AM   #7
AKtim

Super Cool Since: Nov 2009
Postings: 13
AKtim is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainmaster View Post
H/T rack and these Army surplus store boxes. They are aluminum/fiberglass and water tight. Bought the boxes for $25 each, can't beat the price.

rainmaster: nice front fender. Ive never seen it. details? AKtim
AKtim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 11:09 PM   #8
otternorth
A Regular

Super Cool Since: Jan 2008
Locale: alaska
Postings: 81
otternorth is on a distinguished road

I have used both the soft (Ortlib) and hard (Happy Trail) bags/boxes and prefer the HT's for security and water-proofness and capacity.

Currently have both and a new KLR to mount them to, though the boxes need repair from a crash in Columbia.

The HT's mounting system did not hold up on Ruta 40 in Argentina..always came loose to the point where one of the solid aluminum hold-on clamps fell off...somewhere. Pain to find/make a replacement.

I think the best way to mount the bottom of the HT boxes would be to use some 'u' shaped metal to fit around and mount to the bottom frame. Then find a solid top mount...even to bolt through the upper frame.

Thanks for the link to the Packrack site....on option without a local custom built.

Paul
otternorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 02:08 PM   #9
akwatercraft
A Regular

Super Cool Since: Jun 2008
Postings: 190
akwatercraft is on a distinguished road

i have the hp racks and pelican 1550 top loaders a little wind drag but woth the dry storage,,, ill try to find some pics

get it wet and play with it
akwatercraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 11:15 PM   #10
mudflats
A Regular

Super Cool Since: Oct 2008
Postings: 45
mudflats is on a distinguished road

I have soft sided bags. I really bought them because they were cheaper than hard sided bags. Shortly after I bought them, I read something that I believe to be true. That is, hard sided is better for on-road riding, and soft sided is better for off-road riding. I was planning the Trans Am Trail so my choice of soft bags was validated, and it turned out to be a good choice for me.

If you plan to ride mostly on-road, the hard cases are dry, lockable, good looking, etc. If you plan to ride off road a lot, the soft sided bags might be a better choice, because When you dump the bike, the bags aren't damaged. Also getting body parts caught under the hard bags could hurt a lot more. I have some experience with getting my leg out from under the soft bag. it's painless, except for the ego.

Good luck

My Pics
mudflats is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 05-19-2010, 02:26 AM   #11
otternorth
A Regular

Super Cool Since: Jan 2008
Postings: 81
otternorth is on a distinguished road

Have repaired the HT hard boxes and mounted them to Packrack frames. Very nice mounting system on the frames.
Will let you know how they do on a trip over Memorial day weekend.
You can use the Packrack frames for soft bags too...just need to mount some sheet metal on the muffler side to reflect heat away.
otternorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links

Tags
checking, setups