SiteLock
Ride Report St. Elmo Area - KLR650.NET Forums - Your Kawasaki KLR650 Forums Resource! - The Original KLR650 Forum!
KLR650.NET Forums - Your Kawasaki KLR650 Forums Resource! - The Original KLR650 Forum!
Go Back   KLR650.NET Forums - Your Kawasaki KLR650 Forums Resource! - The Original KLR650 Forum! > Regional Events, Upcoming Rides & Tech Days > United States
> The Rockies
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-19-2008, 01:15 AM   #1
patsue

Super Cool Since: Feb 2005
Locale: Colorado Springs, Colorado
Postings: 252
patsue is on a distinguished road
Default Ride Report St. Elmo Area

Took a ride on a perfect beautiful day today to one of my favorite areas on my 08 KLR. I just put new K270s on a couple of weeks ago and they did really well considering the beating I gave them today.

I went to St. Elmo and explored how far I could go up past the Mary Murphy mine complex toward Pomeroy Lakes. I stood on the pegs and motored up and it was rough and pucker but I made it to the buildings and then another mile maybe past it when I ran into impassible snow.

I also went around to Hancock but about a half mile to 3/4 past Hancock they have the road closed I assume because of snow.

I didn't even try Tin Cup pass as I had heard both here and there at the St. Elmo store that it wasn't passible yet. Love to do this sometime with Scott_Rides_Again, Bizz ,Mike and anybody else who would like to go sometime when Tin Cup is open.

Did about 230 Miles altogether. My posterior is in pain.

Patrick

Hancock area

Mary Murphy Mine Building

Last edited by patsue; 06-19-2008 at 01:26 AM. Reason: adding pics
patsue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 01:47 PM   #2
Bizz
KLR Enthusiast

Super Cool Since: Feb 2008
Postings: 1,806
Bizz is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Ride Report St. Elmo Area

I see you stopped by Scott's house; how is that old coot doing?

Whenever tincup opens up and I am game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by patsue View Post

Mary Murphy Mine Building
Bizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 08-16-2008, 05:47 PM   #3
Bizz
KLR Enthusiast

Super Cool Since: Feb 2008
Postings: 1,806
Bizz is on a distinguished road

I was just up there yesterday with the family. Stopped off and fed the chipmunks and came back down. What a nice area! I road home in the rain today...two hours worth. My suit kept me dry but my feet and hands suffered. I saw a bunch of KLRs and other bikes in Buena Vista but I didn't stop.

I saw your ad, what are you thinking about getting?
Bizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 10:32 PM   #4
KilLeR Kawasaki
KLR Enthusiast

Super Cool Since: May 2008
Locale: Littleton, Colorado
Postings: 780
KilLeR Kawasaki is on a distinguished road

Nice looking area. I will put it on my list.
Colorado Dual Sport Riders
Moto del Mundo
KilLeR Kawasaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 10:52 PM   #5
horsepoor
A Regular

Super Cool Since: Dec 2013
Locale: West Palm Beach, Florida
Postings: 141
horsepoor is on a distinguished road

I rode the St Elmo area this year in early July. I learned a lot. Iíll start with the Mary Murphy Mine Road. The buildings at the bottom were easy to reach on a wide and hard packed dirt / gravel road. From here, the trail cuts diagonally up the mountain and it is rough.

If you look at the last minute of this youtube video youíll see a fork in the road which continues diagonally up the mountain. Smart people take this route. People would seek pain and punishment try to go the last 200 feet straight up to the mine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dEDfinOVdBI

If you are interested in this failed attempt, I posted some 14:43 tooth ratio comments in this thread.

https://www.klr650.net/forums/showthr...ry+murphy+mine

Next I rode over to Hancock Pass. This was rough going from east to west but getting to the pass is doable on a KLR. Now, the west side of the pass is rocky and steep. I did not have any trouble going down the mountain going west. It is steep and very rocky. Just to test my theory, I turned around and tried to go back up the mountain from West to East and got my ass handed to me. I suppose I might have made it if I had too but I knew the 45 mile ride north along the old rail road grades to the Town of Tin Cup was going to be a pleasure. I just donít like going down a mountain road that I canít go back up, at least not without extreme difficultly or serious risk of damage. I got to tell you, this part of the rail road grade was the best! I rode up to the West end of the Alpine Tunnel and had a blast!

I did not attempt Tin Cup pass because in early July, there was still a deep snow drift in place. Some ATV riders explained how they barely got through riding diagonally on top of the big snow pile. This would have impassable for a KLR.
I spent several days riding numerous trails around Buena Vista and had a great time.

Cant wait to go back next summer.
horsepoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links

Tags
area, elmo, report, ride