SiteLock
685CC engine upgrade - KLR650.NET Forums - Your Kawasaki KLR650 Forums Resource! - The Original KLR650 Forum!
KLR650.NET Forums - Your Kawasaki KLR650 Forums Resource! - The Original KLR650 Forum!
Go Back   KLR650.NET Forums - Your Kawasaki KLR650 Forums Resource! - The Original KLR650 Forum! > Regional Events, Upcoming Rides & Tech Days > United States
> The Rockies
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 12-01-2017, 11:07 AM   #1
gunnerm109a6
Occasional Poster

Super Cool Since: Nov 2017
Locale: Aurora, CO
Postings: 6
gunnerm109a6 is on a distinguished road
Default 685CC engine upgrade

I recently purchased have a 2009 KLR with 45k on the odometer. Its running pretty good for its age, but it is using oil at a epic rate. Apparently, the best way to solve this is to rebuild the engine with either the 685 or 705 CC piston kit. Looking at the instructions, it seem like a pretty straightforward process. I'm not a mechanic, but I am fairly mechanically inclined and can follow instructions.

Questions:

1. Has anybody completed the rebuild themselves? If so, is there any advice you can give.

2. Is there a reputable machine shop in the south metro area that someone can recommend that can do the bore work for me?

Any other comments and advice would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers
gunnerm109a6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 11:52 AM   #2
rebar
A Regular

Super Cool Since: Nov 2010
Locale: friendswood, texas
Postings: 112
rebar is on a distinguished road
Default Re: 685CC engine upgrade

Hey Gunnerm By far the best thing you can do for your '09. Easy to get the kit from Eagle Mike and return the old cylinder to him. There should be someone nearby who can look over your shoulder while you make the change. Quite reasonable to do in your own garage, plenty of instruction on the net. Take care , take pics, don't take short cuts. Done correctly oil usage will stop. Ride safe James
rebar is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 12-02-2017, 06:29 AM   #3
Robert Z
LEVEL 3 STAFF

Super Cool Since: Jan 2012
Locale: Oregon Coast
Postings: 501
Robert Z is a name known to allRobert Z is a name known to allRobert Z is a name known to allRobert Z is a name known to allRobert Z is a name known to allRobert Z is a name known to all

Did it in my garage.

1. Get a Clymer's manual.

2. Get over to https://www.schnitzracing.com/manuals...all-part-1.pdf

And

https://www.schnitzracing.com/manuals...all-part-2.pdf

Read them.

3. Buy tools. Torque wrenches are mandatory. Use PDF 1 to disassemble your bike.

4. Ship your jug to Eagle Mike, call him, tell him what you want to do, follow his instructions. At the same time, purchase the 685 kit from him.

5. Receive box from EM with almost everything you'll need.

6. Pick up grease, loctite, and fluids.

7. Reassemble.

8. Break in properly.

9. Ride.

I had help. Another forum member who was going to do this to his bike came over and we learned together.

While the head is off, consider having it freshened up. Odds are, if it's burning a lot of oil, you need the head done.

CLEAN CLEAN CLEAN! Then clean some more. Get REAL acetone, not nail polish remover...

Do not use metal scrapers to clean gasket material with... you do not want to inadvertently remove aluminum. No sanding either. Patience, diligence... and you'll do well.
Blue KLR club member #243 Post a pic of your bike here, then pm me for membership. https://www.klr650.net/forums/showthr...light=blue+klr

I am a leaf on the wind, watch how I soar.
Robert Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 06:30 AM   #4
Robert Z
LEVEL 3 STAFF

Robert Z is a name known to allRobert Z is a name known to allRobert Z is a name known to allRobert Z is a name known to allRobert Z is a name known to allRobert Z is a name known to all

Sorry, I tend to forget not everyone is acquainted with EM or his products/services...

https://www.eaglemike.com/
Blue KLR club member #243 Post a pic of your bike here, then pm me for membership. https://www.klr650.net/forums/showthr...light=blue+klr

Old 12-02-2017, 02:49 PM   #5
gunnerm109a6
Occasional Poster

Super Cool Since: Nov 2017
Locale: Aurora, CO
Postings: 6
gunnerm109a6 is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the advice!

When you say send EM the jug, does this mean send him the cylinder?

If so, can this be done locally?
gunnerm109a6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 04:18 PM   #6
Robert Z
LEVEL 3 STAFF

Check EM's site. What you do is pull your cylinder, send it to him. He charges you $100 to cover the work on a cylinder, and sends you one that's already done.

The reason you want to do it this way is...

1. You don't have to take it anywhere.

2. The man that puts together your kit is the one doing the work on the cylinders.

3. Everything arrives at the same time. (should).

Simple process.

Pull bike apart.

Ship cylinder to EM (call him, make sure he knows what's up)

Clean surfaces (they cylinder will come cleaned, just acetone and you should be good) while waiting for turnaround (Mike ships fast as a rule).

You'll get a goodie box full of nearly everything (besides grease, loctite and fluids) that you'll need in one place.

Simple.

You could get the cylinder honed locally, sure. There's no law saying you have to send it to Mike, but since you were asking where to get the work done...

Mike's got cylinders ready to go... and just charges for the work it takes to hone them, swaps them straight over.

But yeah, if you've got someone you can trust local, use them. No big deal.

I'd also consider contacting him regarding your head. He charges $160 to clean it up. https://www.eaglemike.com/klr-cylinde...headrefurb.htm

Yes, you can have this done locally as well, but consider the convenience of packing it all up, shipping it out, and getting it all back done right.

I know I'm pushing him kinda hard, but over the years, he's earned my trust. I've been to his shop in SoCal, I've met him a few times at tech days. I've purchased from him in the past.

Shop around locally, see what places charge for doing what he offers. USPS has a lovely mailing option, flat rate, not based on weight. Bag it, pad it, ship it.

But definitely shop around. There's other options, but imo none as good as EM.

Old 12-02-2017, 04:19 PM   #7
Robert Z
LEVEL 3 STAFF

Tell you what. Give him a call. Talk to him over the phone. Tell him what you're looking at and what you want to do. I think your mind will be made up.

Old 12-02-2017, 09:03 PM   #8
SgtMarty
LEVEL 3 STAFF

Super Cool Since: Jul 2003
Locale: Colorado
Postings: 3,950
SgtMarty has much to be proud ofSgtMarty has much to be proud ofSgtMarty has much to be proud ofSgtMarty has much to be proud ofSgtMarty has much to be proud ofSgtMarty has much to be proud ofSgtMarty has much to be proud ofSgtMarty has much to be proud of

All the above advice is good, and you can't go wrong with Eagle Mike.

You've asked twice about a local shop, so I'll say that I've had Faster Motor Sports in Denver bore out three cylinders for me over the years and they've done a good job. Get the 685 kit from EM and take the boring instructions/details to Faster, and they'll get it done.

Still, I support Eagle Mike's work, and suggest you contact him.

Life is a mortal adventure. Don't avoid all the risks.
COHVCO #6391 AMA #2800236

1998 Valkyrie Tourer, 2005 KLR650
2001 DRZ400E, 2005 KTM 525EXC
SgtMarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links

Tags
685cc, engine, upgrade