SiteLock
SgtMarty Colorado KLR tech day September 2015 - KLR650.NET Forums - Your Kawasaki KLR650 Forums Resource! - The Original KLR650 Forum!
KLR650.NET Forums - Your Kawasaki KLR650 Forums Resource! - The Original KLR650 Forum!
Go Back   KLR650.NET Forums - Your Kawasaki KLR650 Forums Resource! - The Original KLR650 Forum! > Regional Events, Upcoming Rides & Tech Days > United States
> The Rockies
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-23-2015, 04:29 AM   #1
SgtMarty
LEVEL 3 STAFF

Super Cool Since: Jul 2003
Locale: Colorado
Postings: 3,950
SgtMarty has much to be proud ofSgtMarty has much to be proud ofSgtMarty has much to be proud ofSgtMarty has much to be proud ofSgtMarty has much to be proud ofSgtMarty has much to be proud ofSgtMarty has much to be proud ofSgtMarty has much to be proud of
Default SgtMarty Colorado KLR tech day September 2015

Planning on September 19, 2015, anytime after 9am.

Time for the next tech day at my place, south of Denver.

KLR's mostly, but more and more Katooms, Yammys, Suzies, and Bimmers are showing up.

SgtMarty dot com for directions and more details.

Life is a mortal adventure. Don't avoid all the risks.
COHVCO #6391 AMA #2800236

1998 Valkyrie Tourer, 2005 KLR650
2001 DRZ400E, 2005 KTM 525EXC
SgtMarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 08:42 PM   #2
kawioops
Been here a while

Super Cool Since: Mar 2006
Locale: To hell and gone from spoonbooty!
Postings: 5,718
kawioops has a spectacular aura aboutkawioops has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: SgtMarty Colorado KLR tech day September 2015

Already!?!? What the hell happened to the summer?
Old 08-24-2015, 03:08 AM   #3
SgtMarty
LEVEL 3 STAFF

SgtMarty has much to be proud ofSgtMarty has much to be proud ofSgtMarty has much to be proud ofSgtMarty has much to be proud ofSgtMarty has much to be proud ofSgtMarty has much to be proud ofSgtMarty has much to be proud ofSgtMarty has much to be proud of

Summer's still here, Alan. I'm spending a lot of it rebuilding the KLR's suspension and the KTM's nagging gremlins.

Still, I got out to several ride rallies this year.

Old 08-30-2015, 02:13 AM   #4
SgtMarty
LEVEL 3 STAFF

Okay, burgers and brats are being provided. Other snacks as well. Who's bringing breakfast burritos?

Old 08-30-2015, 02:38 PM   #5
colo.ride
A Regular

Super Cool Since: Sep 2013
Locale: colo
Postings: 27
colo.ride is on a distinguished road

Would like to attend if time permits. What ride rallies do you speak of.thanks for putting together these tech days.
colo.ride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 01:25 AM   #6
SgtMarty
LEVEL 3 STAFF

Quote:
Originally Posted by colo.ride View Post
Would like to attend if time permits. What ride rallies do you speak of.thanks for putting together these tech days.
Come on down!

I did the Elephant Ride in February, the Dinosaur Run in May, the RMAR rally in Meeker in July, did a few days of street rides with friends visiting from California and some day rides with my brother visiting from Florida. Just did West Fest in Gunnison a couple weeks ago, although the KTM was acting up and I didn't ride much.

Might ride Silverton in September, and want to head to Truth or Consequences for the Rubber Chicken rally in October.

Were you looking for things to plan on next year?

Old 08-31-2015, 07:58 PM   #7
colo.ride
A Regular

Super Cool Since: Sep 2013
Locale: colo
Postings: 27
colo.ride is on a distinguished road

Yes sir , have been wondering why there arent some organized rides, but I guess I havent done my part either Thanks again for your help.
colo.ride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 08:32 PM   #8
LaurieD
A Regular

Super Cool Since: Mar 2005
Postings: 89
LaurieD is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtMarty View Post
Come on down!

I did the Elephant Ride in February, the Dinosaur Run in May, the RMAR rally in Meeker in July, did a few days of street rides with friends visiting from California and some day rides with my brother visiting from Florida. Just did West Fest in Gunnison a couple weeks ago, although the KTM was acting up and I didn't ride much.

Might ride Silverton in September, and want to head to Truth or Consequences for the Rubber Chicken rally in October.

And we can't forget the other RMAR rally in Moab in April - we're at 6 trips and counting ...

neither trucks nor attack trees will stay this rider from her appointed trails ....
LaurieD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 09:26 AM   #9
kawioops
Been here a while

Super Cool Since: Mar 2006
Locale: To hell and gone from spoonbooty!
Postings: 5,718
kawioops has a spectacular aura aboutkawioops has a spectacular aura about

For any of you coming from the North, I will be having my usual pre tech breakfast at Denny's at 7 am, corner of 104th and Grant streets. Head to Marty's around 8 or so.
Old 09-18-2015, 08:43 PM   #10
SgtMarty
LEVEL 3 STAFF

Looks like ADVRider and a few other motorcycle-related forums are down. Most of the chatter for this tech day was there, so I'll summarize here.

People are bringing burgers, brats, bagels, Guinness, probably some other snacks. We have water (hot and cold), coffee, hot chocolate, chips, cookies.

Anyone bringing stuff can add to that list. Maybe some more beer for those who can't handle the Guinness?

Sponsored links
Old 09-19-2015, 10:29 PM   #11
SgtMarty
LEVEL 3 STAFF

Okay, all done here and everyone got their bikes put back together and out of here.

It was a good day; everything got done and no catastrophes or crises that needed extra fixing (I don't' think we broke anything!). We overfilled one bike's forks with oil but recognized that error and got it set right.

A surprising number of fork tubes got worked on, and since I saw that coming, we got those in the garage and worked on them first. Maybe five sets of forks; three sets of progressive springs and seals and two that simply changed their fork oil.

A couple (three?) doohickeys, and only one valve check (that was in spec, so no shim changes were needed). It was nice to see Brent, who was gimping around on brand new knees. Jim did his best to be helpful from his crutches, and did lend a hand where he could.

Alan--who is a tremendous help at these tech days--helped with his 200th doohickey swap! Major kudos to him; and again my sincere appreciation to him for helping, since he frees me to bounce around and help and be available for various other things. One bike's doo spring was broken and partly eaten through from rubbing on the balancer chain, so it was a good thing that he swapped his doo out and put in the EM torsion spring.

Thanks, too, to Rich, Rich, Rick, and Mike for lending a hand where it was helpful. Thanks also to those who donated food, beverages and tools for everyone to enjoy. The extra bike lift was well used. Thanks to Rick and Tim for the valve shims--someone will need them and you get the credit. Thanks to Scott and Ken for the hand cleaner. Thanks to Laurie who managed snacks and food.

I won't get around to organizing the garage until tomorrow (the Rockies are up 8 to 1 in the 4th inning!), but I don't think I'm missing any tools yet. Even if a few things got mixed into other people's tools kits, I understand that things get misplaced sometimes, and the generous donations that people left behind will cover any losses. It's all good. Karma points to everyone.

I reminded several people during the day that some of what I gave to them had been donated by previous tech day attendees, and it just gets passed on to whoever needed it next. The fork oil and other materials left behind today will get donated to the next people who need it. Even more Karma points all around. Makes me warm all over (and my nipples hard). You guys rock!

I'll post a few photos here in a short while.

We'll do it again in May (if not before).

Old 09-19-2015, 10:31 PM   #12
SgtMarty
LEVEL 3 STAFF

Sweeping out the garage at 8am.

But soon after 9am, it was full of bikes.

Brent's WWII fighter bike.

Some bikes were on the lifts for quite a while (lot's got done).

Broken doo spring. Not a myth.

Burgers and brats. Some of the burger meat got donated to the tech day by a guy earlier in the week after I helped him replace his TW200 fork seals. Mix of beef, elk, pork(?) and bacon (BACON!). Yum. Use of the grill was donated by Bobby, who was away on business.

I always take a photo of the board, since it's a reminder of the day.

Old 09-24-2015, 12:32 PM   #13
CHA-LEE

Super Cool Since: May 2015
Postings: 15
CHA-LEE is on a distinguished road

I am bummed that I missed this tech day. I was out of town or I would have made it down. Hopefully I can make it to the next one.
CHA-LEE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2015, 04:22 PM   #14
MSGT-R
LEVEL 3 STAFF

Super Cool Since: Nov 2004
Locale: South Park
Postings: 7,113
MSGT-R is on a distinguished road

It took me three tear-downs to get my jetting squared away on the 250, but it's finally ride-able.. a week late.

Marty: Have you finally fixed that KTM yet?
Old 09-28-2015, 02:20 AM   #15
SgtMarty
LEVEL 3 STAFF

Yeah, yeah, yeah. You get first right of refusal when I'm ready to sell the DRZ. I'm collecting clutch parts to put the KTM back to stock when the auto clutch fails again. After that, the DRZ is outta here.

Can't say when that will be, though.

The DRZ will be at the next Elephant Ride, most probably, so that's next February.

Last edited by SgtMarty; 09-28-2015 at 02:21 AM.
Sponsored links

Tags
2015, colorado, day, klr, september, sgtmarty, tech