SiteLock
Road Conditions and Weather for early March in SLC/Park City - KLR650.NET Forums - Your Kawasaki KLR650 Forums Resource! - The Original KLR650 Forum!
KLR650.NET Forums - Your Kawasaki KLR650 Forums Resource! - The Original KLR650 Forum!
Go Back   KLR650.NET Forums - Your Kawasaki KLR650 Forums Resource! - The Original KLR650 Forum! > Regional Events, Upcoming Rides & Tech Days > United States
> The Rockies
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-21-2016, 02:06 PM   #1
dtedwards
A Regular

Super Cool Since: Jan 2016
Locale: Juneau, AK
Postings: 226
dtedwards is on a distinguished road
Default Road Conditions and Weather for early March in SLC/Park City

I’m looking at flying down to Salt Lake City and renting a bike March 6-9. I had my eyes on a green KLR, but sadly that place is closed for the season. Looks like I’ll have to “settle” for an F800 or a Tiger from EagleRider.

Assuming daytime temps stay above 40, and there isn’t too much sideways rain, I’m not too concerned with weather as it relates to comfort. My main worry is road conditions. From what I can tell, snow isn’t highly likely, but it is still a possibility. I plan on sticking to US/State highways and roads, and for the most part doing my best to avoid Interstates. Is it safe to assume I’ll have bare pavement that time of year? Or will it be residual hard packed snow/glaze?

The route I’m planning will include a ride through Wasatch Cache to/from Park City along 39 and 32. I also might do a ride between Park City and Orem using some combination of 248, 189, and 32. Are these routes susceptible to snow, road closures, avalanches, chupacabras or any other hazards? Is this trip a bad idea, a good idea, or an OK idea that may or may not require flexibility and rerouting?

Also, any points of interest in the area I should check out? I’ve got my mind set on Golden Spike monument (yes, I know the controversy with Council Bluffs), and the World’s Largest Blender at Blendtech in Orem. I’m more into roadside kitsch than “nature”. I don’t need to go out of my way to see lakes or ridges (I get plenty of that riding in AK and YT), but if there is a must see natural landmark, or a “perfect” road, I’d be all for it. I also don’t have interest (read: time) to do any off-roading. I’m just looking to log some miles and see some stuff.

Finally, any good/reliable websites or phone numbers for checking on road or pass conditions?
Thanks
'04 in "standard" Bedliner Black, ammo cans, EM Doohickey & Torsion Spring, EM fork brace, Top Gun 8Kg spring, Dirtracks crashbars, valves @ max spec, advanced exhaust timing... and a $40 Craigslist guitar
dtedwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links

Tags
city, conditions, early, march, road, slc or park, weather