SiteLock
Any Montana Riders ? - KLR650.NET Forums - Your Kawasaki KLR650 Forums Resource! - The Original KLR650 Forum!
KLR650.NET Forums - Your Kawasaki KLR650 Forums Resource! - The Original KLR650 Forum!
Go Back   KLR650.NET Forums - Your Kawasaki KLR650 Forums Resource! - The Original KLR650 Forum! > Regional Events, Upcoming Rides & Tech Days > United States
> The Rockies
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-11-2016, 07:39 AM   #1
sandog
A Regular

Super Cool Since: Mar 2016
Locale: Southwest Montana
Postings: 64
sandog is on a distinguished road
Default Any Montana Riders ?

I live in the Gallatin Valley, Bozeman/Belgrade area, and was wondering if there is anyone in central or southwest Montana riding a KLR or other dual sport.
Old 07-27-2016, 06:13 PM   #2
motobiko
Occasional Poster

Super Cool Since: Apr 2016
Locale: Colstrip, MT
Postings: 8
motobiko is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Any Montana Riders ?

I live in Colstrip. Just was in Gardiner yesterday. I ride an 09.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 13729163_10210033627866364_8096397991856091473_n.jpg (90.8 KB, 7 views)
motobiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 06-01-2017, 03:16 PM   #3
ND_KLR

Super Cool Since: Mar 2017
Locale: Fargo, North Dakota
Postings: 10
ND_KLR is on a distinguished road

Hello, I am from North Dakota, but am anxiously awaiting a trip later this summer to get the 2016 KLR that I bought this spring out away from the flatlands and put it to the test off the paved roads that I have been limited to on my past trips on my cruiser. Any suggested "can't miss" trails, roads, or riding areas in general? I have been looking at https://www.riderplanet-usa.com/atv/...ntana_list.htm, US Forest Service sites, etc., trying to plan a 4-5 day backcountry riding/camping trip.

Gardiner area is a great area. I imagine that has tons of opportunities. I have spent a few nights in Bear Creek Campground up there car camping a couple different times over the past several years. Good location to avoid the hustle bustle and hassles of Yellowstone campgrounds. Kids are always asking to go back to Bear Creek!

Last edited by ND_KLR; 06-01-2017 at 03:22 PM.
ND_KLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 03:56 PM   #4
ND_KLR

Also been up north of Bozeman to Fairy Lake/Sacagawea Peak area several time for some memorable car trips, including one 2 years ago in late July that involved thunderstorms all evening which turned into 2-3 inches of snow overnight forcing us to abandon the tent and ride the rest of the night out in the car as temps dipped down in the low 20s. Made the trip again last year in early Aug with much better results. Weather cooperated and kids were able to summit Sacagawea Peak.

Now that I have the KLR650, it's like a kid in a candy store... so many great potential areas to explore in a new way. Where do I start??
Old 06-01-2017, 05:56 PM   #5
wansfel

Super Cool Since: Jan 2011
Locale: Bitterroot Valley - Montana
Postings: 345
wansfel is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandog View Post
I live in the Gallatin Valley, Bozeman/Belgrade area, and was wondering if there is anyone in central or southwest Montana riding a KLR or other dual sport.
BOM2017.blogspot.com
KLR/Mikuni VM38 Report
wansfel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 12:00 PM   #6
ND_KLR

Wansfel, thanks for the BOM information. You have done one helluva job putting those trips together!! I won't be able to make the dates this year, but I am still looking at using one of your routes for a trip later this summer. Of the 2010-2016 trips, are there one or two that stick out as a favorite? I can't find as much detailed info or trip reports on the older trips, so just thought I would ask if there was one specific trip, area, or section of road(s) that you would recommend. Looking at the previous trip reports, doesn't look like there can be such thing as a "bad" option. Definitely looking forward to taking part in the BOM in the very near future.
Sponsored links

Tags
montana, riders