SiteLock
Old Noob in central Colorado - KLR650.NET Forums - Your Kawasaki KLR650 Forums Resource! - The Original KLR650 Forum!
KLR650.NET Forums - Your Kawasaki KLR650 Forums Resource! - The Original KLR650 Forum!
Go Back   KLR650.NET Forums - Your Kawasaki KLR650 Forums Resource! - The Original KLR650 Forum! > Regional Events, Upcoming Rides & Tech Days > United States
> The Rockies
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-17-2017, 10:53 PM   #1
ccdell

Super Cool Since: Feb 2015
Locale: Colorado
Postings: 11
ccdell is on a distinguished road
Default Old Noob in central Colorado

I am an old noob in central Colorado looking to get more off road time on my bike. Although I have put about 20,000 miles on my KLR, I really haven't put in much off-road miles on at all. Does anyone know any places to practice (suitable for a new to off road rider) around the Colorado Springs area?

I have heard about Penrose Commons and am planning on checking it out when the weather gets a little warmer (and I get the bike back together).

How about any groups/riders that are noob tolerant for a day trip?

ccdell
ccdell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 05:23 PM   #2
SgtMarty
LEVEL 3 STAFF

Super Cool Since: Jul 2003
Postings: 3,950
SgtMarty has much to be proud ofSgtMarty has much to be proud ofSgtMarty has much to be proud ofSgtMarty has much to be proud ofSgtMarty has much to be proud ofSgtMarty has much to be proud ofSgtMarty has much to be proud ofSgtMarty has much to be proud of
Default Re: Old Noob in central Colorado

Hi. You have Rampart Range right next to you, plus the Rainbow Falls and 717 riding areas to the north-west. Really, there is a lot in your area. As far as group activities, there used to be more, but it's slacked off in recent years. Keep checking here in the Spring and Summer to see what people are posting. There are usually group rides through the Shelf Road/Phantom Canyon loop, Pikes Peak, and Rampart trails.

And welcome.

Life is a mortal adventure. Don't avoid all the risks.
COHVCO #6391 AMA #2800236

1998 Valkyrie Tourer, 2005 KLR650
2001 DRZ400E, 2005 KTM 525EXC
SgtMarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 01-19-2017, 08:31 PM   #3
xrjak

Super Cool Since: Feb 2012
Postings: 65
xrjak is on a distinguished road

Howdy, I am in Denver and haven't ridden my bike since I rode it home from Sgtmarty's tech day in the fall of 2015. But I am getting ready for some riding this year come hell or high water.
xrjak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 09:59 PM   #4
ccdell

xrjak, You probably already know about it, but up near Denver, there are some great paved secondary roads near Conifer and Evergreen (if I remember correctly) that are nice. Down 85 to the southwest, there there is Rampart Range Road that goes from west of Sedalia to Colorado Springs. It is about 60 miles of gravel road that is quite fun. Not very technical at all, but great scenery and a fun ride.
Old 01-19-2017, 10:05 PM   #5
ccdell

This fall I was on a quick trip up to Woodland Park from the springs, but I got distracted and rode Rampart Range road from GoG up to Jackson creek and really enjoyed the ride.

Thanks for the information. I know of Rainbow Falls, but not as a riding area - I will have to refresh my memory. I have never heard of 717, but I will start searching for sure. Shelf and Phantom I have done in the car, but not on the bike. Definitely on my list!

It wasn't until last night that I figured out that you are close by so I will have to check out one of the upcoming Tech days. I have a couple of the specialty tools for the Doo if extras are needed. In fact I just got the chance to verify that they still work when I had to chase a bolt that fell into "the hole" while adjusting the valves. As (my) luck would have it, I did have a rag tucked in there and the rag is what snagged the bolt and flipped into the (now exposed) hole.
Old 09-07-2017, 10:54 PM   #6
TheHank
A Regular

Super Cool Since: Jun 2017
Postings: 46
TheHank is on a distinguished road

Ride to cripple and ride the shelf foad to canyon city,or ride to Victor and take phantom canyon road , both very beautiful rides.Bring your camera,the aspens should be changing up here soon.
TheHank is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links

Tags
central, colorado, noob