SiteLock
"Utah Tuweep (Toroweap) Ride May 14-16" - Page 3 - KLR650.NET Forums - Your Kawasaki KLR650 Forums Resource! - The Original KLR650 Forum!
KLR650.NET Forums - Your Kawasaki KLR650 Forums Resource! - The Original KLR650 Forum!
Go Back   KLR650.NET Forums - Your Kawasaki KLR650 Forums Resource! - The Original KLR650 Forum! > Regional Events, Upcoming Rides & Tech Days > United States
> The Rockies
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-20-2010, 07:28 PM   #41
GeoMoto

Super Cool Since: Jan 2010
Locale: The Mystery Ranch
Postings: 659
GeoMoto is on a distinguished road
Default Re: "Utah Tuweep (Toroweap) Ride May 14-16"

"Utah Grand Canyon Tuweep (Toroweap) Ride May 14-16" We have an official date for a Southern Utah Ride.

May 14-16th, 2010

Toroweap Temps: 72 Degrees Day, 42 Degrees Night

Start and Finish in Hurricane Utah

Arrive Any Time Thursday Night through EARLY Saturday.

Schedule:

Thursday May 13th:
Arrive early if you like and enjoy the local area. Zion National Park, Snow Canyon State Park, Coral Pink Sand Dunes, Sand Hollow State Park, just to name a few. There are many beautiful areas just a few miles from Hurricane.

Friday May 14th:

For those of you who can arrive Thursday night or early Friday we will be doing approximately 100 to 150 miles of local trails. We will see Ancient Indian Art, Caves, Pioneer Forts, and Dinosaur Tracks.

Friday May 14th Alternate Route:

For those of you who may want to spend a bit more time on the pavement, Zion National Park is a 25 minute ride from Hurricane Utah.
A ride through Zion would be a great alternate route for Friday.

Saturday May 15th (Long Day):

Ride from Hurricane to Toroweap via Mt Trumbull. Camp in Toroweap overnight and ride back on Sunday. The campground has toilets only. We need to bring food and WATER. The exact route is still being plotted. We are trying to incorporate as much dirt as possible and include many cool sites along the way.

Toroweap: https://www.nps.gov/grca/planyourvisit/tuweep.htm

Sunday May 16th:
Scenic ride back to Hurricane

Hotels/Camping:

Comfort Inn Zion https://www.comfortinnzion.com/
Room Rates are $59-$69 per night

Holiday Inn Express https://www.ichotelsgroup.com/h/d/ex/...predirect=true
Room Rates are $110-$119 per night

Quail Creek Reservoir https://www.utah.com/stateparks/quail_creek.htm
Camping $13 per night

Route Info:

Here's a map of the planned ride for the Grand Canyon Tuweep portion of the ride.
Total ride For the two days is 205 miles. The longest distance between gas stations is 160 miles. Should be a great ride.
Here's the Link

https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UT...6d91e7cb9c&z=9
GeoMoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 09:23 PM   #42
Kawiski
A Regular

Super Cool Since: Nov 2008
Locale: Chino Hills / Frazier Park
Postings: 92
Kawiski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowdog View Post
We have the group site reserved at the rim, were good for 12 riders at the group site. The rest of the sites are non reserve first come.
1. Which night is for that 12-rider reservation? I am thinking it is the Sat night at Quail Creek but not sure...

2. When you say " rest of the sites are non reserve first come", do you mean that there will be a camp ground avail at both places wherever we may spend a night on Thu & Fri?

3. If yes to #2, is there website for those 2 camp grounds? I just want to see where they are on the map.

4. If yes to #2, Bill and I are planning to camp for all 3 nights. Will anyone else do that?

5. Do I need to bring a roll chart? Will GPS (Garmin GPSMAP 76CSX) be OK instead? Do I need to plot the route on my GPS?

Thanks.

Chaz

Last edited by Kawiski; 04-20-2010 at 09:25 PM.
Kawiski is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 04-20-2010, 10:06 PM   #43
snowdog
A Regular

Super Cool Since: Dec 2008
Locale: southern utah
Postings: 74
snowdog is on a distinguished road

1. Which night is for that 12-rider reservation? I am thinking it is the Sat night at Quail Creek but not sure...
Saturday night we will be at the rim camping at toroweep 100 miles from civilization. You will need to have accommodations for Thursday night and Friday night or when ever you plan on arriving.
2. When you say " rest of the sites are non reserve first come", do you mean that there will be a camp ground avail at both places wherever we may spend a night on Thu & Fri?.
Book your camp sites now for Thursday and Friday at Quail Creek. Saturday night is already covered since your one of the first twelve riders.

3. If yes to #2, is there website for those 2 camp grounds? I just want to see where they are on the map.
https://www.utah.com/stateparks/quail_creek.htm

4. If yes to #2, Bill and I are planning to camp for all 3 nights. Will anyone else do that?
Just a small group so far. I haven't heard.

5. Do I need to bring a roll chart? Will GPS (Garmin GPSMAP 76CSX) be OK instead? Do I need to plot the route on my GPS?
Jesse and myself will guide this trip for you. You can track it on your gps along the way. No need for a roll chart. If under 12 show up for the trip we can get together and plan the Saturday and Sunday trip and the route. If everyone is experienced riders then I have a different route to take that has some more technical stuff to ride.

Thanks.

Chaz
07 VTX 1800
Can Am 650
snowdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 03:26 PM   #44
salgiambruno

Super Cool Since: Jan 2009
Locale: La Verne, CA
Postings: 658
salgiambruno is on a distinguished road

Hi All,

My name is Sal and I am a friend of Chaz. I purchased my current ride (a KLR 250) from Chaz about a year ago and have put a few miles on the bike, but haven't done nearly as much OH/Scenic riding as I'd like, so I am excited about doing this ride.

I would say that I am a competent rider. I do quite on or off road in easy to moderate conditions and have been riding (on and off) since the age of 15 (I'm 42 at present). I have had recent forays into the local mountain fire trails and desert landscape as recently as last year, where I managed to keep the bike upright most of the time. I laid it down gently when I got stuck in a heavy (1-1/2 to 2 foot) sand rut.

Despite my confidence in my riding abilities, I do have some related concerns about going on this particular ride. They are:

1) Can I keep up with the rest of the pack on my KLR 250? I know I will need to carry spare fuel, but what other things do I need to consider? I wouldn't want to slow anybody down or be an inconvenience . . . so am absolutely willing to forego this trip if consensus advises against it. The logistics of it all is my primary concern.

2) It's been a while since I've been out in the great outdoors or done any serious (roughing it) camping, and I've never done bike/camp activities, but I do have gear (somewhere) for extreme wilderness camping (i.e. lightweight stuff like micro stove, lantern, tent, sleeping bag, clothing, etc. I'm just a little concerned about what I will need to bring, especially in a riding environment where my gear is limited to a helmet, jeans, heavy leather shoes (no boots), a synthetic padded motorcycle jacket and summer gloves. I have little to no storage capacity on the bike, just bungee netting and a small tool pouch

I haven't read this entire thread yet, so I don't know if it's been posted, but I'd like a little more details about the logistics of the ride. For example, do we need to carry our camping gear, food, etc on our bikes and a number of other issues that I probably haven't even considered.

I hope I'm not sounding too sheepish . . . I am not fearful nor overly averse to controlled and measured risk-taking. I'm just interested in getting into this fully-informed to minimize discomfort and maximize enjoyment!

In any case, I am excited about going on this ride and look forward to riding with you all, especially Chaz, whom I've been promising to ride with for a long time now . . .

I just wanted to post this message to introduce myself and become more acquainted.

P.S. The photos are great!!! Thanks for posting!
salgiambruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 04:15 PM   #45
Kawiski
A Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by salgiambruno View Post
1) Can I keep up with the rest of the pack on my KLR 250?

2) I have little to no storage capacity on the bike, just bungee netting and a small tool pouch
Man, you are fast. I just told you about the ride a few minutes ago and you are already posting here! And that's your very first post!

I have not ridden with anyone else in the group except with Bill H. so I don't know how fast they would be riding. I am sure no one will get left behind since we are all riding for fun and scenery not for speed, right? On your 250, I was able to ride 70+ on hwy so the speed on flat is no problem. However, on steep hills, it lacks low end torque with the stock 15-tooth counter sprocket (14-tooth will do better on rough terrain). I've never done this ride so I don't know how rough it will get either.

The luggage storage capasity would be an issue on the 250 on its stock form. I am thinking of making an extended luggage rack using a piece of plywood bolting on top of the existing factory rack. You may do the same and we can work on it together at my place. Since I will be bringing a 4-person tent, you don't have to worry about that.

Here are pics of Sal's awesome 250 before I sold to him.

Old 04-21-2010, 04:17 PM   #46
GeoMoto

Quote:
Originally Posted by salgiambruno View Post
Hi All,

My name is Sal and I am a friend of Chaz. I purchased my current ride (a KLR 250) from Chaz about a year ago and have put a few miles on the bike, but haven't done nearly as much OH/Scenic riding as I'd like, so I am excited about doing this ride.

I would say that I am a competent rider. I do quite on or off road in easy to moderate conditions and have been riding (on and off) since the age of 15 (I'm 42 at present). I have had recent forays into the local mountain fire trails and desert landscape as recently as last year, where I managed to keep the bike upright most of the time. I laid it down gently when I got stuck in a heavy (1-1/2 to 2 foot) sand rut.

Despite my confidence in my riding abilities, I do have some related concerns about going on this particular ride. They are:

1) Can I keep up with the rest of the pack on my KLR 250? I know I will need to carry spare fuel, but what other things do I need to consider? I wouldn't want to slow anybody down or be an inconvenience . . . so am absolutely willing to forego this trip if consensus advises against it. The logistics of it all is my primary concern.
*If you can cruise along at 55-65mph you will be fine. We will wait for everyone. We will have a leader and a sweeper so don't worry about getting dropped.

2) It's been a while since I've been out in the great outdoors or done any serious (roughing it) camping, and I've never done bike/camp activities, but I do have gear (somewhere) for extreme wilderness camping (i.e. lightweight stuff like micro stove, lantern, tent, sleeping bag, clothing, etc. I'm just a little concerned about what I will need to bring, especially in a riding environment where my gear is limited to a helmet, jeans, heavy leather shoes (no boots), a synthetic padded motorcycle jacket and summer gloves. I have little to no storage capacity on the bike, just bungee netting and a small tool pouch
*You won't have to carry all of your gear all of the time. You won't have to carry any camping gear on Fridays ride. Saturday and Sunday you will need to carry camping gear. I will only be carrying the bare minimums. I will wear the same clothing Saturday and Sunday, other then a change of underwear and an undershirt. I am bringing a small tent, sleeping bag, small stove, 1 pot, dehydrated food and water. I plan on being dirty for two days and carrying as little as possible. You should be able to fit everything you need in a small duffle strapped to your bike for an over nighter. Any extra gear that you have will be left at my house Saturday and Sunday so bring whatever you think you will need.

I haven't read this entire thread yet, so I don't know if it's been posted, but I'd like a little more details about the logistics of the ride. For example, do we need to carry our camping gear, food, etc on our bikes and a number of other issues that I probably haven't even considered.

I hope I'm not sounding too sheepish . . . I am not fearful nor overly averse to controlled and measured risk-taking. I'm just interested in getting into this fully-informed to minimize discomfort and maximize enjoyment!

In any case, I am excited about going on this ride and look forward to riding with you all, especially Chaz, whom I've been promising to ride with for a long time now . . .

I just wanted to post this message to introduce myself and become more acquainted.

P.S. The photos are great!!! Thanks for posting!
*I will try to have the gear list posted tonight.
Old 04-21-2010, 04:30 PM   #47
GeoMoto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kawiski View Post
Man, you are fast. I just told you about the ride a few minutes ago and you are already posting here! And that's your very first post!

I have not ridden with anyone else in the group except with Bill H. so I don't know how fast they would be riding. I am sure no one will get left behind since we are all riding for fun and scenery not for speed, right? On your 250, I was able to ride 70+ on hwy so the speed on flat is no problem. However, on steep hills, it lacks low end torque with the stock 15-tooth counter sprocket (14-tooth will do better on rough terrain). I've never done this ride so I don't know how rough it will get either.

The luggage storage capasity would be an issue on the 250 on its stock form. I am thinking of making an extended luggage rack using a piece of plywood bolting on top of the existing factory rack. You may do the same and we can work on it together at my place. Since I will be bringing a 4-person tent, you don't have to worry about that.

Here are pics of Sal's awesome 250 before I sold to him.

*That's a lot of Armor All!
Old 04-21-2010, 04:52 PM   #48
GeoMoto

Post Re: "Utah Tuweep (Toroweap) Ride May 14-16"

GEAR LIST WILL BE POSTED TONIGHT
Old 04-21-2010, 05:09 PM   #49
kawioops
Been here a while

Super Cool Since: Mar 2006
Locale: To hell and gone from spoonbooty!
Postings: 5,718
kawioops has a spectacular aura aboutkawioops has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoMoto View Post
Man! Dat too purty to get durty!
Old 04-21-2010, 05:27 PM   #50
Kawiski
A Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoMoto View Post
Hey, you know the usual routine when you are trying sell used bikes, cars, etc...

Heavy dose of ArmorAll AND WD-40!
Sponsored links
Old 04-22-2010, 11:04 AM   #51
GeoMoto

Post Gear List

This is a start to the gear list for the Toroweap portion of the weekend.
You will not have to carry all of this gear on Fridays ride.
You can leave excess gear and vehicles at your campsite or Jesse's house.
List:
Motorcycle
Helmet/Goggles (It will be dusty, most of the riding will be in the dirt)
Gloves
Rain Gear if you think you will need it.(Check Weather) We don't get much rain.
Camping Gear (Tent, Bag, Pad, etc.)
Cooking Gear (Stove, Pot, utensils, etc.)
Food for Saturday Lunch and Dinner
Food for Sunday Breakfast
Tools
Tubes
Quick Air for flats
WATER for 1 1/2 days
TP
Change of Clothes
First Aid Kit
GPS
$$ for Restaurants on Friday and Sunday Afternooon and evening.
You can cook your own food on Friday or join me at one of the local restaurants.

*Plan on hauling all of your gear to the campsite on Saturday.
However, I am working on having someone in a truck meet us out there that will carry extra fuel, a bbq, food, water, beer. I will let you know asap if they will make it.
Old 04-22-2010, 11:32 AM   #52
Kawiski
A Regular

1. Do most restaurants/shops there take credit card?

2. What would be the minimum amount of $$ cash one should be carrying for this trip (assuming that credit card will be used wherever possible)?
Old 04-22-2010, 12:36 PM   #53
GeoMoto

Quote:
1. Do most restaurants/shops there take credit card?

2. What would be the minimum amount of $$ cash one should be carrying for this trip (assuming that credit card will be used wherever possible)?

*All the restaurants and shops take credit cards.

*I will probably carry $40-$60. I probably won't spend more then $20.

Old 04-22-2010, 01:07 PM   #54
salgiambruno

Quote:
Hey, you know the usual routine when you are trying sell used bikes, cars, etc...

Heavy dose of ArmorAll AND WD-40!
I just discovered the wonders of mineral spirits (i.e. paint thinner). Works great to dissolve tar, grease, oils, wax, etc and renews rubber tubing and plastic pieces. Good stuff, and cheap too. Only drawback is the odor, but you can get "odorless" mineral spirits . . .
Old 04-22-2010, 01:09 PM   #55
salgiambruno

Thanks GeoMoto! Looking forward to the trip . . .
Old 04-22-2010, 01:13 PM   #56
Kawiski
A Regular

I just called Quail Creek Park and made a camp site reservation for two nights for 3 of us (Bill, Sal & Chaz), 13th Thu & 14th Fri . They had only 4 left as of today! I took camp site #2. If you need to make a reservation, hurry!

They said the park gate closes at 10 PM.

If you need to call them, use this number: 1-800-322-3770.
The other # on their webpage will only let you leave a voice mail.

Chaz
Old 04-22-2010, 02:02 PM   #57
GeoMoto

Confirmed Riders:

1.) GeoMoto-Hurricane UT
2.) Kenny-TemeculaCA
3.) Randy-Temecula CA
4.) Richard-Temecula CA
5.) Clint-St.George UT
6.) Snowdog-Hurricane UT
7.) Chaz-Chino Hills CA
8.) Bill-Glendora CA
9.) KawCon-Oak Park CA

10.) Sal-La Verne CA
Old 04-23-2010, 06:00 AM   #58
salgiambruno

Yep, that's my baby. Much the same now as in these photos, except with a little less tread, a little less gloss, quite a few more scratches and a couple of bruises, but still practically a virgin where it counts.

I got up the courage to perform a 3K service on it and completed (mostly) today. Gapped and replaced the spark plug. Adjusted the valve clearance as it was below the recommended minimum (too tight). Performance improvement is noticeable - idles without worry at 1200 RPM and much smoother throttle response throughout range, but I'd still like an expert to give a quick inspection before we go out, just in case . . .

I hope my posts are ending up in the right place. I'm new to this forum and am still learning my way around . . .
Old 04-23-2010, 06:02 AM   #59
salgiambruno

Default Regarding GPS/Mapping

If someone would like to furnish me with a map/route/POIs/etc (as a drawing, scan, list or whatever form) I am willing to plot it out with GPS mapping software and provide the data to others going on the trip in a universal digital format for upload to their GPS units . . . that way we can all be on the same sheet of music, so to speak . . .
Old 04-23-2010, 06:47 AM   #60
salgiambruno

The excitement is definitely building . . . thanks for the GREAT photos and narration SNOWDOG!
Riding VIDOES on VIMEO: https://vimeo.com/aerofart
KLR650 Riders CALENDAR: https://www.google.com/calendar/embed...ca/Los_Angeles
Sponsored links