SiteLock
Trip Across Island - KLR650.NET Forums - Your Kawasaki KLR650 Forums Resource! - The Original KLR650 Forum!
KLR650.NET Forums - Your Kawasaki KLR650 Forums Resource! - The Original KLR650 Forum!
Go Back   KLR650.NET Forums - Your Kawasaki KLR650 Forums Resource! - The Original KLR650 Forum! > Regional Events, Upcoming Rides & Tech Days > Canada
> Newfoundland
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-20-2012, 09:04 PM   #1
fradsham
A Regular

Super Cool Since: Jul 2011
Locale: Paradise, NL Canada
Postings: 160
fradsham is on a distinguished road
Default Trip Across Island

Hi,

I am looking to take a trip across the island this summer with a buddy of mine. We will be taking the side roads to Twillingate, Fogo, etc. Any recommended spots to stay, including B&Bs.

Also any lessons to be learned from your travels along the route in the past.

Thanks in advance
Old 04-21-2012, 07:32 AM   #2
cappybye
A Regular

Super Cool Since: Apr 2012
Locale: Cheticamp, NS
Postings: 20
cappybye is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Trip Across Island

I'm a brand-new KLR owner from Cape Breton and I've got a NFLD trip planned for this summer too. I want to spend a few days on the island and then head up the northern penninisula to Labrador and over to LabCity. I spend lots of time there snowmobiling in the winter.

I haven't owned a bike in over 10 years so I'm pretty stoked. Just in the process of buying a new 2012.
cappybye is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 04-26-2012, 01:46 AM   #3
jmcgilroy
A Regular

Super Cool Since: Feb 2010
Locale: Central California
Postings: 84
jmcgilroy is on a distinguished road

Well then there's 3 of us that would like some help. I'll be riding out from California leaving in mid-June, my main concern is the ferry system as I have no idea on a specific arrival date. Does anyone know if reservations are an absolute must for motorcycles? I've been on the Vancouver area ferries and they just stuff you in.

Anyone?

Jim
jmcgilroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 03:04 AM   #4
cappybye
A Regular

Super Cool Since: Apr 2012
Locale: Cheticamp, NS
Postings: 20
cappybye is on a distinguished road

California wow, I figured you were a local! The ferry is not usually a problem for bikes, they should be able to stuff you in there somewhere. But of course it doesn't hurt to resereve, a couple of days before is enough, so by that time you will know which crossing you are aiming for.
https://www.marine-atlantic.ca/eng/cu...departures.asp for schedules and call 1-800-341-7981 to reserve. I live an hour from the boat on the mainland side and have never had issues. I summer there is a crossing that goes to Argentia I think twice a week which will put you on the east side of the island and save some track-tracking, of course only twice a week you'll be lucky if it slots into your schedule. You should take the time to ride the Cabot Trail on Cape Breton on your way to the boat, it's the most scenic you will find outside of walking to the gorge in Gros Morne. I live at the west entrance to the park.

Once you are on the island there are towns with hotels every couple of hours so you will never be pressed unless you choose to. When you ride the coastal routes you can always come back to town for the evening. For example if you ride anywhere in Notre Dame Bay area you can come back out the other end of the loop to overnight in Lewisport, Gander, or Clarenville. There isn't a whole lot of isolation so you're never too far from a town or village. St. John's is a great city to spend a couple of days......

https://www.irondograce.org/ https://www.cainsquest.com
cappybye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 11:21 AM   #5
jmcgilroy
A Regular

Super Cool Since: Feb 2010
Locale: Central California
Postings: 84
jmcgilroy is on a distinguished road

Perfect piece of information, I thank you for that. It's been 40 years since I've been back to the Maritime's, my grand-dad lived in PEI and I spent alot of my summers there when I was growing up. While I was back there, I figured I visit NL and that will close out my bucket list of all 10 provinces and all 50 states.

Thanks again,

Jim
jmcgilroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 02:24 PM   #6
fradsham
A Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmcgilroy View Post
Perfect piece of information, I thank you for that. It's been 40 years since I've been back to the Maritime's, my grand-dad lived in PEI and I spent alot of my summers there when I was growing up. While I was back there, I figured I visit NL and that will close out my bucket list of all 10 provinces and all 50 states.

Thanks again,

Jim
Hi Jim,

Hope your trip is still going ahead. It is talking about a hotter summer here but I am still waiting for that. Which part of the island are you planning your trip? If you are still coming mid-june you may still see some ice-bergs along the coast and a few whales to boot...

If you take the west coast of the island, make sure to take some time to visit western brook pond in Gros Morne National Park. If you are looking the east coast, I would recommend the Irish loop.

There are many things to do, so hope you enjoy.
Old 05-17-2012, 02:31 PM   #7
fradsham
A Regular

Not the best map for planning but if you are an outdoors person visiting the island you may want to take a look at this pdf map...

https://www.env.gov.nl.ca/env/parks/m...serves_map.pdf
Old 05-19-2012, 09:20 AM   #8
fradsham
A Regular

Looks like it is going to be a shorter trip this year, ~2000kms in total...leaving St. John's area, with a couple stops at provincial parks and one national park, plus any side roads We come across...

Here is the map plan, excluding the st. John's to lockston path segment which is about 300+ kms
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2012RoadTrip.jpg (66.9 KB, 12 views)

Tags
island, trip