SiteLock
KLX 250 vs. WR250R Light ADV bike - KLR650.NET Forums - Your Kawasaki KLR650 Forums Resource! - The Original KLR650 Forum!
KLR650.NET Forums - Your Kawasaki KLR650 Forums Resource! - The Original KLR650 Forum!
Go Back   KLR650.NET Forums - Your Kawasaki KLR650 Forums Resource! - The Original KLR650 Forum! > Other Kawasaki Motorcycles > KLX Main Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
KLX Main Discussion KLX650, KLX400, KLX300, KLX250S, KLX125

Old 02-14-2018, 05:30 PM   #1
PittsDriver

Super Cool Since: Sep 2014
Locale: Annapolis MD
Postings: 730
PittsDriver is on a distinguished road
Default KLX 250 vs. WR250R Light ADV bike

My KLR 650 is just too dang big and heavy for some of the places I want to do weeks long ADV riding. One place coming up soon on the bucket list is the CDR from NM to Banff. For 95% of it a KLR is fine but the other 5% is going to kill one of us or at least not be much fun and a lot of team work. That's fine too but I'm itchin' for a really lightweight bike I can turn into a CDR or Hatfield/McCoy trail system assault machine.

I've looked at all the KTMs and the one that I had focused on was the 690 Enduro R but suminumbatchin that bike is tall! I can't even tippy toe it, I just fall over if I stop rolling. Yeah I can lower it a few inches and it's a beastie bike but it's also $9K - 11K depending on '17 or '18 new bike. To that, add $3K in making it ADV worthy and well, I own one very expensive ADV bike already.

So it's down to a WR250R which I think will make a fine lightweight ADV bike. A reenforced subframe for hauling me and my stuff; a 350W stator!!; nice strong engine; and japanese reliability to keep ticking for many 10's of thousands of miles. What I can't find is a KLX250 to examine closely.

Tapping in to the collective wisdom here on the KLX250, what's it's pros and cons vs. the little WR250R?

I figure I'll have to put a large fuel tank on either bike along with some racks, charging ports and mounts, lights, and a pigtail for my heated gear.
'16 KTM 1290 R Super Duke (for my inner hooligan)
PittsDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 11:11 PM   #2
donA
donA AKA Bad Rash

Super Cool Since: Nov 2010
Locale: Placerville calif.
Postings: 2,074
donA will become famous soon enough
Default Re: KLX 250 vs. WR250R Light ADV bike

Quote:
Originally Posted by PittsDriver View Post
My KLR 650 is just too dang big and heavy for some of the places I want to do weeks long ADV riding. One place coming up soon on the bucket list is the CDR from NM to Banff. For 95% of it a KLR is fine but the other 5% is going to kill one of us or at least not be much fun and a lot of team work. That's fine too but I'm itchin' for a really lightweight bike I can turn into a CDR or Hatfield/McCoy trail system assault machine.

I've looked at all the KTMs and the one that I had focused on was the 690 Enduro R but suminumbatchin that bike is tall! I can't even tippy toe it, I just fall over if I stop rolling. Yeah I can lower it a few inches and it's a beastie bike but it's also $9K - 11K depending on '17 or '18 new bike. To that, add $3K in making it ADV worthy and well, I own one very expensive ADV bike already.

So it's down to a WR250R which I think will make a fine lightweight ADV bike. A reenforced subframe for hauling me and my stuff; a 350W stator!!; nice strong engine; and japanese reliability to keep ticking for many 10's of thousands of miles. What I can't find is a KLX250 to examine closely.

Tapping in to the collective wisdom here on the KLX250, what's it's pros and cons vs. the little WR250R?

I figure I'll have to put a large fuel tank on either bike along with some racks, charging ports and mounts, lights, and a pigtail for my heated gear.
Hey Pitts , Check out the KLX section ,There is a fella there who rides with two buddies one has a DRZ 400 and the other the Yamaha. He has A KLX and almost got rid of it till he did the 351 big bore kit. and suspension now he loves it ...He likes It's better than the two other bikes for power and weight ...You can get them new for about 5500 fuel injected .. or a good used one for around 3 to 4k with a carburetor
Old 02-15-2018, 09:14 AM   #3
PittsDriver

Thanks Don. I'm basically asking the question, is there such a thing as a 300# ADV bike? The answer is no but can one be made? I think that answer is yes. There are some KTMs that will serve well if you have the wallet and a supermodel inseam measurement.

I'm trying to decide if one of these bikes can be a single track enduro and with no luggage tackle the most challenging tracks; and, by adding racks, luggage, and charging/electrical attachments be a multi-week ADV bike. I have to admit that it was exciting to learn that the WRR has a 350W stator on it. Jeebus, why doesn't the KLR have that? Clearly Yamaha was thinking about this being a traveling tool.

Am I correct that the KLX is about a 200W stator? How about the subframe and how it would handle over loading it? For perspective, I've had to beef up my rack mounts on the KLR650 but have had no problems breaking the subframe.

Other questions are about maintenance intervals and how much fuss it'll be if I take it off on a month long ride. The Yammy is 3,000 mile oil changes and valve checks every 26,000 miles - not that I'd go that long but it's an indicator of robust reliability.
Old 02-15-2018, 09:40 AM   #4
donA
donA AKA Bad Rash

Quote:
Thanks Don. I'm basically asking the question, is there such a thing as a 300# ADV bike? The answer is no but can one be made? I think that answer is yes. There are some KTMs that will serve well if you have the wallet and a supermodel inseam measurement.

I'm trying to decide if one of these bikes can be a single track enduro and with no luggage tackle the most challenging tracks; and, by adding racks, luggage, and charging/electrical attachments be a multi-week ADV bike. I have to admit that it was exciting to learn that the WRR has a 350W stator on it. Jeebus, why doesn't the KLR have that? Clearly Yamaha was thinking about this being a traveling tool.

Am I correct that the KLX is about a 200W stator? How about the subframe and how it would handle over loading it? For perspective, I've had to beef up my rack mounts on the KLR650 but have had no problems breaking the subframe.

Other questions are about maintenance intervals and how much fuss it'll be if I take it off on a month long ride. The Yammy is 3,000 mile oil changes and valve checks every 26,000 miles - not that I'd go that long but it's an indicator of robust reliability.
Don't know about the stator , A quick search will probably answer most of your questions , There is a KLX website you can find everything you want to know over there, The bikes weigh about 300 lbs and are pretty gutless below 6500 RPM .read the review right below your post .Pretty sure you can get close to what your looking for with a modded out KLX for a lot less money .Good luck keep us posted
Old 02-15-2018, 08:19 PM   #5
PittsDriver

I'm learning more about the new '18 KLX250 and it looks like a pretty big improvement. They're still saying you have to keep some revs on it but it's a very capable bike right off the showroom floor. I'm still looking for one to see it in person. Before I make my decision.
Old 02-16-2018, 12:19 AM   #6
donA
donA AKA Bad Rash

Quote:
I'm learning more about the new '18 KLX250 and it looks like a pretty big improvement. They're still saying you have to keep some revs on it but it's a very capable bike right off the showroom floor. I'm still looking for one to see it in person. Before I make my decision.
I think that's a good call .There's a mod for the timing like the KLR that will give you a little more low end , plus you could re gear, I would think the six speed would make up for lower gearing ..FI would be nice, Those carbs can be a real pain to get dialed just right ..

Tags
250, adv, bike, klx, light, wr250r