SiteLock
Alaskans Now Have a Home on The Forum - Page 3 - KLR650.NET Forums - Your Kawasaki KLR650 Forums Resource! - The Original KLR650 Forum!
KLR650.NET Forums - Your Kawasaki KLR650 Forums Resource! - The Original KLR650 Forum!
Go Back   KLR650.NET Forums - Your Kawasaki KLR650 Forums Resource! - The Original KLR650 Forum! > Regional Events, Upcoming Rides & Tech Days > United States
> Alaska
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-14-2008, 11:12 PM   #41
otternorth
A Regular

Super Cool Since: Jan 2008
Locale: alaska
Postings: 81
otternorth is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Alaskans Now Have a Home on The Forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by akwatercraft View Post
thanks ill give ak leather a call tomorrow,, what is the abby,,, and to ssound really stupid what are dyna beads? i was planing on sliming the new tire. i go about 80/20 and am looking at the brigstone tw 22,,, looks like it should shed rain well. just a little rain here! thanks for the tip
The Abby is a motorcycle repair shop in Wasilla. Mike can help most everyone out...call him at 376-6979 and see what there is in stock. He generally has chain, filters and tires in stock or can get them ASAP. He does wonders with tune-ups too. He has worked on my Beemer and I get some tires, ect from him.
Dyna beads are ceramic beads that get installed in tires and tubes to balance your wheel/tire. No need to spin balance again!
Paul
otternorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 04:12 AM   #42
akwatercraft
A Regular

Super Cool Since: Jun 2008
Postings: 190
akwatercraft is on a distinguished road

thanks otter,,, ill call tomotow,,, cool stuff dyna beads,,, works with slime? my kid got a ducati,, maybe needs the balance thing
thanks
akwatercraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 07-20-2008, 07:15 AM   #43
Subybaja
Been here a while

Super Cool Since: May 2007
Locale: Alaska 843521 rods NW of Spoonbooty
Postings: 3,151
Subybaja is on a distinguished road

Nope, you've gotta choose Dynabeads OR Slime. Only downside- other than that, I love the beads.

Neither Barb @ AK Leather or Mike @ Abbey Auto charge ANY shipping on tires. Small markup, but no shipping.

I was talking to a KLR rider in town yesterday. He was showing me his new Tourances. With an innocent look on his face, he asked me "Do you think $100 a wheel was a a good deal for mounting labor?"

That's what you get for riding in to a dealership (TeamCC in Eagle River) and saying "Change 'em."
For $100 each, I'll do them!
Old 07-20-2008, 02:42 PM   #44
akwatercraft
A Regular

wow id ride up from seward and do it for a cnote! thanks for the tip i went to ak leather i am getting the brigstone tw 22. i am 90/10 so i thinkit will work . i am going to pay the 45$ (including tube) and let them do the dirty work,,,, i am working on getting the doo tools and tbob when i do ill try to set up a tech day in seward to do the doo and some other suff
Old 07-23-2008, 05:56 AM   #45
Subybaja
Been here a while

Super Cool Since: May 2007
Locale: Alaska 843521 rods NW of Spoonbooty
Postings: 3,151
Subybaja is on a distinguished road

Try Regional>Alaska on ADVrider. Pretty solid group up here, including several KLR guys, some with tools to loan.

The T-bob's great! Warm in 2 blocks. I'm really looking forward to this winter to see how it does.
Old 07-23-2008, 02:11 PM   #46
akwatercraft
A Regular

yeah i got a bunch odf stuff coming,,, 1440 top loader cases from pelican,, they are huge! t-bob, dohicky, tire, i am psyked
Old 08-25-2008, 07:45 PM   #47
AKLR650
A Regular

Super Cool Since: May 2008
Locale: Alaska
Postings: 42
AKLR650 is on a distinguished road

Is your 100$ change over job backed with a warranty? meaning if my tires fall off while riding are you paying the bill?
Nothing wrong with Team CC Eagle river, they treat me right, not like the OTHER Team CC in the Valley! Wouldn't even sell me there oil for my bike! SOOOO I will take the extra time for the ride to Team CC in eagle river.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subybaja View Post
Nope, you've gotta choose Dynabeads OR Slime. Only downside- other than that, I love the beads.

Neither Barb @ AK Leather or Mike @ Abbey Auto charge ANY shipping on tires. Small markup, but no shipping.

I was talking to a KLR rider in town yesterday. He was showing me his new Tourances. With an innocent look on his face, he asked me "Do you think $100 a wheel was a a good deal for mounting labor?"

That's what you get for riding in to a dealership (TeamCC in Eagle River) and saying "Change 'em."
For $100 each, I'll do them!
AKLR650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 04:40 PM   #48
Alcan Rider

Super Cool Since: Dec 2004
Locale: Slana, Alaska
Postings: 379
Alcan Rider is on a distinguished road

Man, am I embarrassed!

This "Alaska" forum has been here since some time in 2007and I just found it today. Talk about senior moments - I have senior years! (Shut up, Charlie. )

Well... now that I know it's here, I'll try to remember that and come visit now and then - especially once summer gets here again... if I can remember that long.
Tons of Alaska photos at: https://alaskajack.smugmug.com/
Alcan Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 11:25 PM   #49
AK Charlie

Super Cool Since: Aug 2008
Locale: Homer, Alaska
Postings: 287
AK Charlie is on a distinguished road

Alcan Rider:

I'll help you remember it's here. I would have told you about it but I figured you already knew. I won't say anymore, since your an oldtimer I'll go easy on you.

Anyway, welcome aboard, even with your memory lapse.

Charlie
AK Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 11:31 PM   #50
AK Charlie

By the way Alcan Rider. Don't expect to get off so easy next time.
Sponsored links
Old 01-12-2010, 02:45 AM   #51
akwatercraft
A Regular

wow is it a slow winter or what,,,, how is the healing going charlie?

get it wet and play with it
Old 01-12-2010, 03:18 AM   #52
AK Charlie

Healing is about all done. However my KLR is all tore apart, I'm doing the 685 Mod on my new 04. Then I have to take off all the mods from old and put on new. It's a lot of fun but also a lot of work. Be glad when spring is here and I get to try it out.

How's things with you and your sweetie?

Charlie
Old 01-13-2010, 04:10 PM   #53
Alaska_KLR
Occasional Poster

Super Cool Since: Aug 2009
Locale: Anchorage, Alaska
Postings: 3
Alaska_KLR is on a distinguished road

Been using this forum as a resource for a while now but have never posted. Really just wanted to say hi to fellow Alaskan riders. I got my KLR last August and love it. Had a blast doing the Hatcher Pass-Willow Highway last summer. If I had known so many Alaska riders use a variation of the name "Alaska KLR" I would have tried to come up with a more creative name! I can't wait until I can get some 2010 riding in. Last year my first motorcycle ride was around March 30th so it may be only a couple of months away. I am into videography and like making personal riding videos. Recently got a full HD helmet cam (Contour 1080p) so I plan on making a lot of riding videos this summer.
Alaska_KLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 04:24 PM   #54
Skyd1v
A Regular

Super Cool Since: Mar 2008
Locale: Anchorage, AK
Postings: 131
Skyd1v is on a distinguished road

Heya!

I, too, have been trying to get into making videos of trips out on the KLR. Camera's and I have a long-standing hate-hate relationship however, and the results are usually less than ideal.

Case in point: I was SURE I had the camera mounted in a good spot. Apparently not so much. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SiZ1BwhA6ug

Good luck to you, and see you out there..

Blue skies/

"And by "kicked in the head", I mean kicked in the head."
Moosekiller - 2011
Skyd1v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 04:51 PM   #55
Alaska_KLR
Occasional Poster

Super Cool Since: Aug 2009
Locale: Anchorage, Alaska
Postings: 3
Alaska_KLR is on a distinguished road

Hey Skyd1v,

Pretty cool to see such recognizable scenery shot so recently on a KLR. Thanks for sharing. You must have studded tires? So far I haven't been ballsy enough to consider winter riding but now I'm getting curious. How does the bike handle on ice/snow? How different is the riding technique vs summer riding?
Alaska_KLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 07:31 PM   #56
ak_flyfisher_ak
A Regular

Super Cool Since: Apr 2008
Postings: 155
ak_flyfisher_ak is on a distinguished road

Dimond @ Minnesota We ought to get all the studs together... I know there are several of us riding, it'd be fun to see the looks on people's faces when 4 or 5 KLRs ride by...
ak_flyfisher_ak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 09:17 PM   #57
AK Charlie

Hey fellow's

Do you know of the movie nite at AK Leather on the 30th of this month.
There will be a lot of riders there, including Alcan Rider who rides yr around. He's the man, anything you want to know about a bike or riding, he's the one to ask.

Glad to have some activity on our AK forum.
Old 01-13-2010, 09:56 PM   #58
Skyd1v
A Regular

Super Cool Since: Mar 2008
Postings: 131
Skyd1v is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaska_KLR View Post
Hey Skyd1v,

How does the bike handle on ice/snow? How different is the riding technique vs summer riding?
Well, I am just getting into the winter riding this year. Made myself a goal to ride all 12 months of the year and so far-so good. I only go out on weekends though, when traffic is light.

I got a bag of the self-tapping carbide studs from Aerostitch and augmented those with #10 1/2 inch sheet metal screws. I have found that on ice or hard packed snow they grip so well its almost like riding on dirt. On that freeze-thaw hard ice (like at intersections) or bare asphalt the bike will tend to wander as not much of the rubber gets a chance to touch down. So far I have only been sticking to the neighborhood (Bayshore, Klatt, Sand Lake area) but am expanding outward slowly.

As far as riding style goes, its a lot like riding the wet sand next to the Knik River. Just take the turns REAL SLOW and forget all about the front brake. Aside from that, just gun it and go.

One thing I do need to get but haven't yet is a helmet with a heated visor. Rain-X anti-fog only gets you so far when its 10 degrees out there. Just another thing to add to the farkle list I guess.

And yeah, I heard about Barb's movie night @ AK Leather. Keep meaning to get to one of those but the woman always seems to come up with some d@m thing to interfere. This time around is no different. But if anyone does want to make a run around town some weekend just let me know. Maybe I can sneak one in behind her back...

Blue skies/

"And by "kicked in the head", I mean kicked in the head."
Moosekiller - 2011
Skyd1v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 03:28 PM   #59
akwatercraft
A Regular

good to see some activity on the ak front,,, i am in seward/ moose pass and had a few riders stop by last year if you are in the area drop a pm ,,,,, have gotten around to studding the tires but what a cool idea! we did a camo on my girl friends klr last summer worked pretty good

get it wet and play with it
Old 02-21-2010, 08:27 PM   #60
AK Charlie

Quote:
Originally Posted by akwatercraft View Post
yeah i got a bunch odf stuff coming,,, 1440 top loader cases from pelican,, they are huge! t-bob, dohicky, tire, i am psyked

Did you that crack in your crankcase sealed up. Have you tried it yet??

AK Charlie

88 KLR Killed on the Dempster 1XPrudhoe Bay and round trip across USA. TOW.

04 KLR 685 "The Brute"
Sponsored links

Tags
alaskans, forum, home