SiteLock
Any haul road truckers on here? - KLR650.NET Forums - Your Kawasaki KLR650 Forums Resource! - The Original KLR650 Forum!
KLR650.NET Forums - Your Kawasaki KLR650 Forums Resource! - The Original KLR650 Forum!
Go Back   KLR650.NET Forums - Your Kawasaki KLR650 Forums Resource! - The Original KLR650 Forum! > Regional Events, Upcoming Rides & Tech Days > United States
> Alaska
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-17-2009, 07:49 PM   #1
Turbo Ghost
KLR Enthusiast

Super Cool Since: Jun 2005
Locale: N.E. TN.
Postings: 1,787
Turbo Ghost is on a distinguished road
Default Any haul road truckers on here?

I was just wondering if any of you were truckers? I run in East TN. and SW VA myself but, have been a few places. I'd love to try the haul road but, don't know if my skills are there yet.
Turbo Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 03:23 AM   #2
akrider1
Occasional Poster

Super Cool Since: Sep 2009
Locale: Alaska
Postings: 6
akrider1 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Any haul road truckers on here?

what will you like to know?
akrider1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 09-23-2009, 09:04 PM   #3
Turbo Ghost
KLR Enthusiast

Just general stuff. I noticed on the show, a lot of the trucks had super10's. Any particular reason for that? Any idea what kind of money can be made during the warmer weather? I'm sure it's quite difficult to get in during the winter. The video driver's test bothered me. There's no sensation of motion or traction yet you have to react to the loss of traction you can't feel!? That would be tough! I also noticed the newer drivers were driving the last model Kenworths and the more experienced drivers had the newer models. Anyway, any rambling info is appreciated. I doubt I'll ever be able to make it there to drive but, there's still curiosity.
Old 09-24-2009, 02:55 AM   #4
akrider1
Occasional Poster

Been watching ice road trucker? Any good truck would do and if you have dual locks even better (always dual diffs, this is what the companies provide here). Transmission what ever the driver is used to, or become an expert in shifting and is properly prepared for the arctic. Some hills if u miss the gear you are SOL, and get into a spin out. Good tires, nothing worthless like the tires from the lower 48. Chains, duals not the single and for all tires. It really sucks when you have a break down, and you are alone. Rookies are never left alone unless he/she makes a really stupid butt mistake. If you get hire here and u are not an owner/operator (lease) the company provide you with a rig usually assigned by seniority. Drivers leave as a team (two rigs) at a time or more (during winter). Money is good as long as driver is good and safe. Is good to get in the driving during summer, get to mingle with other drivers and we get to weed out the "SUPER TRUCKERS". These lower 48 super truckers spend must of their time wrapped in the guard rails, not on the road so they only last one season if they make it that far. The video test will get you quite dizzy, just in a vertigo state. Trucks in top conditions, or they do not allow you to go. Last winter there was one wrecker operating the haul road and he spent his time very busy. The majority of the cargo is usually consolidated and schedule for specific arrival time, as the crews working on the slope need it. Drilling and seismic is done during the winter when road and tundra will support rigs. The haul road is UNFORGIVEN. In a nut shell.
Old 09-27-2009, 09:22 PM   #5
Turbo Ghost
KLR Enthusiast

I've been watching Ice Road Truckers since before it was a series and just a documentary. This season was much better than the others. The Canadian ice-road simply requires you to watch your speed and not be stupid. The haul road is a different animal! You can do everything right and still have things go terribly wrong! Our trucks have what we call power-dividers which locks both axles into gear but, we don't have differential locks which lock all the wheels into gear unfortunately. The majority of the time I travel decent roads but at the slightest bit of rain it gets rough. I have to drive through axle-deep red-clay mud then do it backwards while backing up a tipping machine! When it snows, we do have some mountains to deal with but, nothing quite as long as some of the haul road inclines although I'm pretty sure one of ours is much steeper. I would love to do it but, I doubt I'll ever get the chance. You mentioned the vertigo of the test. I know that would be a problem for me! I can't even play those first person shooter games like Doom. I get sick quickly and it lasts for quite a while! Oh well, maybe one day..........
Old 10-09-2009, 03:10 AM   #6
akrider1
Occasional Poster

got to be a good show. is better when both screws can be locked when you need it. the haul road is a totally different animal, as u stated. not all companies give the video test. they all know lots of excellent drivers get a vertigo attack when u can not feel the road. doom left me spinning for a while when i played it, and could not even do five minutes. we will be taking a trip in the dual purpose bikes next summer up the haul road. hope the weather is like this past summer. now riding higher (truck) u have quiet a view.
Old 10-09-2009, 08:22 PM   #7
Turbo Ghost
KLR Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by akrider1 View Post
we will be taking a trip in the dual purpose bikes next summer up the haul road.
Ok, now you're just rubbing it in!
Sponsored links

Tags
haul, road, truckers