SiteLock
Water Pump leak? - KLR650.NET Forums - Your Kawasaki KLR650 Forums Resource! - The Original KLR650 Forum!
KLR650.NET Forums - Your Kawasaki KLR650 Forums Resource! - The Original KLR650 Forum!
Go Back   KLR650.NET Forums - Your Kawasaki KLR650 Forums Resource! - The Original KLR650 Forum! > Other Kawasaki Motorcycles > Versys Discussion Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Versys Discussion Forum

Old 03-19-2012, 11:09 PM   #1
jharrissocal
A Regular

Super Cool Since: Dec 2005
Locale: Tucson, AZ
Postings: 148
jharrissocal is on a distinguished road
Default Water Pump leak?

I have a green 2009 Versys with approx 6000 miles. While cleaning the bike last weekend, I noticed some white residue around the weep hole on the water pump. The bike does not drip coolant on the floor and there is no residue on the plastic cowling. Since this is the first time I inspected the bottom side of the water pump, I don't know when or how long ago the coolant residue accumulated around the weep hole. I cleaned the area and started the engine and let the bike reach full operating temp, then I shut off the bike and the area around the weep hole was dry. Is this something to be concerned about? Is this normal for the water pump to seep coolant?

09 KAW VERSYS
07 KAW KLR650
17 HON CRF250L
07 YAM TW200
jharrissocal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 02:08 AM   #2
KLRva
A Regular

Super Cool Since: Jul 2010
Locale: Virginia
Postings: 115
KLRva is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Water Pump leak?

Since you have a green motorcycle,, I would not worry about it.. When I first bought my 2009 KLR, I noticed that a small amount of coolant leaked out of the weep hole for a very short period of time. 20,000 miles later and I have not had anymore problems with the coolant leaking. I suspect that the initial leak may have been a result of the unused motorcycle sitting around at the dealership for a long time before it was sold. Maybe the residue on your bike is left over from a similar situation. Just periodically keep an eye on it the next few times that you ride it somewhere. Of course,, maybe the residue was caused by water of another source, such as rain.

James
KLRva is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 03-31-2012, 02:26 PM   #3
WTMKLR

Super Cool Since: Nov 2010
Locale: Newfoundland, Canada
Postings: 480
WTMKLR is on a distinguished road

I noticed a drop or two from my weep hole today as well (2009 KLR with 25,000klms). However it was the first time I started my bike since last October. So I'm just hoping that this is normal, and the weeping will go away. I have heard that the weeping will get worse and indicates an internal seal failure.
Doo Done
"I survived the TLH" - LINKY
WTMKLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 09:15 AM   #4
Willmro

Super Cool Since: Oct 2015
Locale: Moscow
Postings: 13
Willmro is on a distinguished road

maybe the residue was caused by water of another source, such as rain.

goldenslot
Willmro is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links

Tags
leak, pump, water